• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Visit to Stalingrad 2007

Nestor Makhno

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006
Penryn, Cornwall
Following a recce this year, and checking out the possibility of getting local officials to react to a visit, I have decided that a future visit should be planned now.

I intend to visit Stalingrad/Volgograd next summer (when da bikinis are on) and would be happy to arrange a proper tour for any RO:Ost'ers that are interested in joining.

I will undertake to ensure safety (providing guest remains sensible) and maximum access to historic sites (elevator, Red October works etc.) - After this year's attempts I now know the right people to contact :mad: .

It is a blast and an education to go to Russia in the summer and the locals are genuinely pleased to see people that give a toss about their city's role in world history.

My guess is that the cost would be about 500 euros flight from western Europe and dirt cheap in the Intourist after that.

It is hot and lovely and the women are beyond compare (not that that matters to serious historians such as yourselves ;) ) so think about it - are you free come August next year? do you want an amazing, week-long trip?

mother.jpg
595987.jpg
DSC03811.jpg

p002.jpg
the_famous_stalingrad_(volgograd)_tractor_factory.jpg
t-34.jpg

Visits pencilled in:

Univermag
Mamayev Kurgan
Orlovka
Panorama Museum
Pitomnik
Krasniy Oktyabr
Traktorniy Zavod

PM me for more details.

Last edited:
OK - well I've had a few PM's so it is time for me to start getting some clarity on the matter and planning out roughly what needs doing.

Given that people could potentially be coming from just about anywhere in the world I am not going to get involved in anything to do with the inward flight to Moscow. (There are hardly any non-CIS flights direct to Volgograd). So we meet at Sheremyetovo-2 (I think only BA goes to Domodyedovo and they are mega-expensive).

As there is a possibility of one or more of the group members' flights being delayed it is prolly wise to spend one day in Moscow, with those who aren't jet-lagged too bad taking in a visit to Kubinka museum, and possibly Krasniy Ploshchad' and the Kremlin, then depart for Volgograd the next day. We stay in Moscow overnight.

Trip to Volgograd could be either a flight from Domodyedovo or Sheremyetovo-1, which takes about 90 minutes, or, if you fancy something a bit more 'exotic', a train journey from Paveletskaya Station, which takes about 24 hours. Upon arrival in Volgograd we either get on a mini-bus from the airport, which I wil have pre-arranged, or just walk from the station to the hotel - your first encounter with places where it "really happened". Check-in, etc. etc. Quick foot tour of the centre.

Next day - visit to Mamyev Kurgan with local battlefield archaeologist dude I met last time then visit to Panorama museum.

Next day - visit to Krasniy Oktyabr followed by visit to Orlovka - bring swimming trunks cos it is bloody hot and there's a nice lake there.

Next day - visit to Elevator and check out the embankment to see how far back the Russians got pushed ( a stone's throw from the Volga), see the Bronyekatr's, shoot some pool in my mate Artur's Sports bar.

Next day - just chilling possibly a second visit to Panorama.

Next day - excursion to Gumrak, Pitomnik, Soldier's Field and somesuch places like that outside the city.

Next day - return to Moscow and home.

I will only take people aged 18+ as I do not want the hassle of legal responsibility for minors.

I will endeavour to find an internet cafe and make sure they have RO installed for evening use.

I will also arrange that everyone gets their visa - this may be tricky if we have a multi-national party but certainly not impossible if I do it way in advance. It will mean, however that each party member will at some point have to visit the Russian embassy/consulate in their own country and get the visa put into their passport (takes 1 day to 1 week depending on how much you want to pay).

One final point - anyone who intends to go to Russia for a 'Vodka frenzy' is on their own - the amount of trouble caused by bailing out drunken foreigners who have been arrested/shaken down by the militsiya means that I just won't get involved. Other than that I will take responsibility for the well-being and safety of the party as much as I can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That sure sounds like a very memorable visit. My whole next year is booked, too bad. :(

One final point - anyone who intends to go to Russia for a 'Vodka frenzy' is on their own - the amount of trouble caused by bailing out drunken foreigners who have been arrested/shaken down by the militsiya means that I just won't get involved. Other than that I will take responsibility for the well-being and safety of the party as much as I can.

There is this joke which was popular in Leningrad back then (my unca told this):

President Kekkonen and General Secretary Brezhnev were taking a walk in Helsinki back in late seventies. Brezhnev shook his head and said: "Tovarish Kekkonen, you sure have lots of drunkards and hobos in here." Kekkonen answered: "Oh yeah? You guys a lot more in Moscow." Brezhnev hissed: "Blatant capitalist propaganda! I give you my personal permission to shoot any hobos and drunkards in Moscow!"
Next day headlines in Pravda: 28 finnish tourists shot in Moscow!

I also know that back in early eighties, a few dumb kids from my old school got drunk in Leningrad and were running around naked. Militsiya arrested them, shaved their heads bald and kept them in slammer for a few months.

Upvote 0
OK I am looking at the date and costs - estimated cost of 3* hotel and visits and transport on for a week is about 3-500 GBP which is 450-750 EUR. This will probably go down when I start haggling for group discounts.

As for the date, August will be very very hot and I am thinking about earlier - like May.

I have asked a language school where I used to work to provide us with some guide/translators and they should prolly do that for free. I speak Russian as well but there are certain situations where it is wise to have a native speaker (like negotiations with museums and anything requiring more than my n00bish language skills :) etc.) I didn't specify to the school that the guides should be female, youngish and cute but they usually are anyway :)

I will return PM all the people who have contacted me so far in a day or two when I have some more info.

Upvote 0