• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Some tips and tactics for infantry only custom maps.

FAce

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 25, 2006
Hello! Merry Xmas!
I decided to share some of my experience with those who are interested.
Here’s a little something about me first. I started to play this game as soon as it was released via STEAM, so I am not a hardcore RO-playa who started from the first beta, but still I learned some things that might be useful. I prefer a rifleman class (rarely pick MG-34), cause in my opinion you can always pick any weapon you like, the only problem is to find a right person to shoot down (and then try to pick his weapon with a worst possible weapon pick-up). Another thing is that I think that you don’t need much skill when you use autos (except PPSh and Mg-42). I play on the infantry-only custom and regular map server, so those who like to drive tanks; well I am probably the worst tank crew member, so I cannot give any tips except on how to be the worst tank driver ever :D
Ok, back to the sharing. Here are some quick tips and tactics you could use on the some infantry-only custom maps:

Bohemian Paradise
Well, let’s start with the most popular and most hated (by most good RO players and me) custom ma. My first advice to you guys: NEVER EVER vote for this err… map. Or just don’t tell anybody that you have voted for it, or you will become the most hated player on the server. By the way whenever it becomes a next map someone from those who hate it will always say “Is there’s still a Free Weekend going on?” Some tactical advice: choose which team will win and don’t stop it from capturing your objectives, make the pain go away in less than a minute! :D

GreyGhostOfWar
This map is again very popular and also hated by many people (I actually like it, cause everybody ****s with rifles). It’s good map for practicing rifle hip-shooting and bayo-stabbing. That’s why I beg you not choose a pistol as a weapon, pistols are for err… new gamers. At least you will learn some skill with the rifle, when by using the pistol you will learn nothing, except that no one likes pistol users, and that you will be stabbed every 3-4 seconds (sometimes by your own teammates who also hate pistol users). I wish that pistols were removed from this map, than it would be awesome. As for tactics, this map is really Soviet sided, so if you are a member of Red team just rush together to cap one objective (capturing the Tombs is always much easier) and then leave some people behind and go capture the second one. If you are German and one of the objectives gets captured, sent a small group to re-cap it, keep the main forces guarding the objective which is still in your hands. By the way don’t play this map when the lights in your room are off, or just don’t look at the screen when the round end, cause you might get blind for a few seconds.

Makhnovo Village
This map can be either a fun map or the most boring map. The map is always fun when you are on the Soviet side, cause it is pretty much one-sided. It is also fun if you play as a German and your team knows how to play this map. If Germans don’t know what to do, this map becomes extremely dull and boring (even for Soviets). I have never played this map on a Soviet side, but here’s some advices for them based on my knowledge.
-Find a good PTRD gunner as well as sniper. It’s better for PTRD gunner to be outside the Poshta when the Germans have to cap it, cause there are many ways from which you can approach Poshta safely without being shot from Poshta’s windows. When the Poshta gets capped there is no serious need in PTRD gunner in defending the Train Station, except maybe covering the approach to it fro your spawn, cause it can be blocked by a half-track’s MG fire. When the train station gets capped go inside the church and deploy in such way that you will see the road to German Spawn and your flanks would be covered by church’s walls. Also remember too shoot the engine, and If you see Germans getting out of half-track, do not destroy it, so it does not appear at their spawn. Walking will make Germans bored, and half of them will join your team, another half will just leave the game.
-For Soviet MG’s it would be good to deploy on the second floor of Poshta in the room near the stairs. So you will cover both the back door and the ladder. When Germans are attacking Train station deploy one MG on top of two stairs on the second floor another one in the capping zone so it would cover the third stairs up.
-Throw your nades at approaching or stopped half-track (especially when the German driver stops right under the windows of Poshta.
Now here’s some advice for Germans.
-The most important, always return the half-track back to the spawn, either by blowing it if you are not able to drive it because of an engine damage, or driving it back to spawn. Also never leave the spawn in a halftrack when you have less then four people inside if you know that someone will spawn in the next 10-15 seconds. Cause it’s almost impossible to cap anything with just two or three people. Approach the Poshta in half-tracks trough the wheat field and by moving towards the train station first and then turning and approaching the Poshta by feet. NEVER stop half-track at the front entrance of the Poshta or get humiliated. The best place where you can stop half-track when you are approaching the Poshta by using the shortest route (the most dangerous one, cause Soviet PTRD gunners and MG’s mostly deploy in the windows which are facing this route, so it would be nice if your sniper took them out before you moved there) is a well which is located left side of the main entrance of the Poshta, cause there are no windows there, plus it is rarely covered by Soviets.
-When you are capping Poshta you don’t have to get inside, you can do it from outside, just stand near the wall facing well. If you have not enough people to do it, try to secure the second floor and wait for reinforcements. The SMG users are really helpful in that.
-When you are capping Train Station(remember the cap point is on the second floor), try to pick up Soviet MGs to cover stairs. Also one good SMG user(as well as good ladder climber) could climb in the attic, so if your attempt to cap Train Station will fail, he could shoot down all those
Soviets who managed to stop the your attempt and are defending the second floor. You can also cut down the Soviet approach to the Train Station deploying MG, sniping it or stopping a half-track on the rail in such way that you would not be able to see the red brick wall which is located near the Soviet spawn.
-When you are capping the Church remember not to approach it directly, flank. Also if you’ll flank it altogether from different sides Soviets will stand no chance. The hardest part is to get to the stone walls which are located on the far left of the Church’s main entrance (if you’ll get there you will secure the approach to the church for your infantry). Also before you will try to get inside the church use your nades, and you will be amazed in how many people you can actually kill with two nades. One unfair advantage for Germans is to sent an MG gunner with one or two riflemen to deploy inside the church before the Train Station will get capped (just watch out the F1).
Oh well, that’s enough for today… Hope you found it helpful. And I know there are many errors in text. :D
Damn it’s 3:00 AM. I’ll continue later… Someday…

SMGs and pistols are there because its more fun for riflemen....

With only riflemen the regular rifle only ppl would have it too easy. Heck if you practice a bit of hipping (like 3 hours) you should be able to hit everything on the first shot. And then its only down to reflexes in close combat because 1 bullet of a rifle does more damage than one of a smg. Rifles are already strong in closecombat. If people take a pistol to learn to stuff let them.
You should let everybody take what he's best with, that way you'll have the most exciting matches.

Upvote 0
hehe I expected something useful... but only player sharing his frustration... LOL

dear FAce... Bohemian Paradise is map based on real area in Czech... it is just for fun ...

GreyGhost is just training map ... the fact you are trying to find some 1337 tactics for it is just ... rofl... please note that this map is more like monument for 2M clan (you can find my nice statue with joint in the middle and many grave stones having name of our players ;))... and best way how to play this map is NOT capturing objectives and only training - like hipshoting only, stabing only etc...

...last but not least... these maps are still voted by other players so somehow they have to have some fun on them... peace :rolleyes:

...and

If the guy who made grey ghosts views these forums, I have this message:
You're a fat n00b....

mapper will not read this because he is not active on this forums ;) ... and read above so you will understand more about this map

mary xmass :eek:

Upvote 0