• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

1337 SP34K news report

Parents are afraid of things they cannot understand.

I just enjoyed how they made it out to be so scary. You'll soon see:

"In other news, Osama bin Laden was found using *GASP* 1337 (short for elite) 5p34k today in a secret message. It reads: LIEK LOLZ DA MERICANZ DONTT EVEN REELISE WE ARE IN DERE SERVERZ, STEALING DERE BROADBANDZ!!!!111one!!!' More at 11."

Upvote 0
Parents are afraid of things they cannot understand.

I just enjoyed how they made it out to be so scary. You'll soon see:

"In other news, Osama bin Laden was found using *GASP* 1337 (short for elite) 5p34k today in a secret message. It reads: LIEK LOLZ DA MERICANZ DONTT EVEN REELISE WE ARE IN DERE SERVERZ, STEALING DERE BROADBANDZ!!!!111one!!!' More at 11."

LOL nice one :D

Upvote 0
How ****ing typical. A language is developed and immediately it's "ZOMFG kids are trying to go behind ur backs!!!!eleventeen"

Instead of admiring or applauding how quickly a new and inventive language can grow and meet the needs of its users it becomes a case of paranoia.

Immediately? If that news report is recent within the last year, they are still pretty late on it.

Upvote 0
Again leet speak has been associated with acronyms, the two are very different. Replacing letters with other symbols is not even remotely the same thing as taking the first letter of each word in a set. Though they usually are used together in the same sentence so I can see where the confusion stems from. However, I don't believe it is dangerous. No one can honestly type anything significantly long in leet in a resonable amount of time unless that is how they learned to type (even then it would be difficult because a keyboard is not designed that way). Only through a leet speak translator (like the one the cop used... eh oh el :rolleyes:) could you use it a lot, but then it would obviously look suspicious so you probably won't get to far if you were trying to con someone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HAHAHA wow that's classic. I've only seen leet speak used as a joke, like in this thread. It's pretty funny how parents percieve anything new that the kids do these days as a threat to society. Also, NOBODY USES P911!!! If your stupid moron of a kid is chatting with a 50 year old rapist, they'll just close out the ****ing window.

Upvote 0
GYPO = Get Your Penis Out = not 1337.

Idiots. Leet speak is not acronyms, it's the replacement of letters. Anyways, yeah, sharpshooter has it right, Alt+TAB if you really want to talk to Johnny who "just wants to give you a lollipop."

Here's another funny thing. Watch it again, but this time, focus on the text they display on screen as a typical teenager conversation.

None of it is in 1337. Selfpwnt.

Upvote 0