• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So I finally bought myself a car

I cried tears of joy when I found out that the PRK had made 1974 model years smog exempt... Making my 1974 Landcruiser smog exempt. You can guess what happened to the Cat. :D

I was on the verge of buying a 1973 or earlier frame/tub to back-register my '74. :eek:

@ User Name, don't listen to the Euro's, they are just jealous that they cannot buy a 351cid penis extension. :D

Ford>Chevy imo... just more style.

Upvote 0
Actually, here's the car I'm thinking of. I was under the impression that it's street-legal:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/3258/

Check the other views, absolutely no cat. IIRC also, can you still get leaded fuel in the UK? I know I've read it was available as of a couple of years ago, but they banned tetraethyl lead 15-20 years ago over here.

Ah, the famous Ariel Atom... which will soon be available for the NA market as well... it has a catalytic converter:

http://www.openwheelers.co.nz/newmodel/specifications.htm

Upvote 0
The one on the link I posted doesn't. That's all I had to go with.

"3-way closed-loop catalytic converter?!" Umm... I'm not trusting this site much, since... well, there's no such thing.

Edit: on their site, too. No cat in the pics:

atom2rear.jpg

I see headers, a pipe, more pipe, a muffler, and a tailpipe. No cat, 3-way, "closed loop" or otherwise.

Upvote 0
"3-way closed-loop catalytic converter?!" Umm... I'm not trusting this site much, since... well, there's no such thing.

For spark ignition engines the most commonly used catalytic converter is the three-way converter, which works best used on engines equipped with closed-loop feedback fuel mixture control employing an oxygen (lambda) sensor. While a 3-way catalyst can be used in a closed loop system (and has been for years in the non-road engine market), NOx conversions tend to be less than stellar - and since World emissions regulations are primarily aimed at NOx reduction open loop fuel systems are now obsolete.

There. Back to the 'draconian' emmissions, Germany already started testing motorcycles for emmissions, with plans to install cats for motorcycles with larger engines - which is not the case for North America yet.

Upvote 0
There. Back to the 'draconian' emmissions, Germany already started testing motorcycles for emmissions, with plans to install cats for motorcycles with larger engines - which is not the case for North America yet.

Umm, Bauer... dunno how to break this to you, dude, but...

I'm an ASE Master Tech with an L2 (advanced engine performance) certificate. My bread and butter is diagnosing and fixing drivability and emissions problems. Emissions problems often come in the form of people failing the Kalifornistan loaded emissions test required every two years, and a waste of time and money - it's horribly designed and executed, which is what you get when you have fanatics (from only one side, no less) and politicians (especially California's corrupt and inept politicos) working together.

That said, I know my way around a 3-way cat and a closed-loop system. However, that site claims a "closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter." Closed-loop refers (mainly, usually) to the fuel control, whereas the cat isn't really a system, and there sure is no loop to close, though with OBD II (required as of 1996 in the US), there is an oxygen sensor downstream of the converter (each converter, if multiple.. usually) to keep track of its efficiency. Maybe that's where they think it's a "closed-loop cat?" Dunno.

I'd be interested to hear if Europe has anything similar to the OBD II standard... for part of which - the generic communication protoco - we have the fine (I say that with tongue FIRMLY in cheek) German automakers to thank, since they flat refused to give access to their comm protocols at anything less than astronomical prices. I have read about people wanting to import 96 or newer cars "Gray Market" to the US and getting stymied because they live in an emissions-testing state where, if it's a 96 or newer, it MUST have an OBD II connector and compliant system.

BTW, the US does indeed have emissions testing for motorcycles, and even scooters. This is manufacturer-level, though, to get a Fed-mandated emissions certificate for the model. I keep hearing the CARB (California Air Resource Board) throwing around the idea of emissions (AKA smog) testing for motorcycles at the consumer level. At state levels, the next big thing seems to be emissions certification of lawn equipment! OMGWTF!?!?!

Kalifornistan has absolutely tight-assed laws concerning vehicle emissions. The flaws in that testing system I mentioned? OBD II is one hell of a computer system. Like I said, it monitors cat efficiency, and everything else emissions for that matter. Still, our "leaders" :rolleyes: demand that the more urban areas of the state submit our cars to a loaded-state smog test. They put your car on an eddy-current dyno and test the tailpipe at 15 and 25 MPH. The big problem? OBD II cars, they require to not only do the loaded test, but a plug-in test of the failure monitors. In case you didn't catch it (nobody does,) this is completely redundant. If an OBD II car passes the trip monitor and codes test, it's going to pass a loaded-state test, period. The system requirements are THAT GOOD. I've seen cars with multiple failure codes and the multiple problems that go with 'em PASS the loaded test with no problem.

The $40,000 machine needed for this testing means that your smog certificate will cost you at least $50 more toward renewing your registration. And $50 is a fairly cheap test, that's what I pay for it (I pay shop prices. :D )

I could probably write a friggin' book about some of the more idiotic things I've seen when it comes to vehicle emissions regulations (for the one that takes the cake, though, look up CARB's "Exemption Order..." Which is nothing but a "the state wants money, so PAY, beeyotches!" fee.), but I think I've hijacked enough for now.

Except to say... find me a pic of an Atom running a catalyst, please. I've not seen any evidence that they're so installed.

Upvote 0
I'd be interested to hear if Europe has anything similar to the OBD II standard...

Yes, they have EOBD, variant of OBDII, mandatory for all gas vehicles.

Except to say... find me a pic of an Atom running a catalyst, please. I've not seen any evidence that they're so installed.

Sage, I don't know if you're aware, but there are multiple packages for the Atom. It is very possible all the pictures on their site are of the track only package, and not road package. If you look at the specs on their very own site, you will see that in the Exhaust category, they mention a stainless cat bypass pipe. Now, what would be the purpose of that if the Atom didn't have a cat to begin with?

Apparently, there are already 2 registered in the state of WA, with full insurance - and not part of an exempt or anything.

Upvote 0
Aha, that's what I was looking for. I just had issues with the first quote since whoever wrote it obviously had no clue WTF they were talking about, which suggested "car salesman," and you can't believe one of those. If a car salesman told me that gravity makes things tend to fall toward the earth, I'd have to drop something to double-check.

Grey market cars FTW. Truth be told, importing a car to the US, it's harder to get past the "safety" regulations than it is to get past the emissions issues. Airbags 'n stuff are annoying and useless, not to mention potentially unsafe, IMO.

I want one of those Atoms. Cars have gotten way too big and heavy... and almost nothing sold recently can even be considered a driver's car.

Upvote 0
Grey market cars FTW. Truth be told, importing a car to the US, it's harder to get past the "safety" regulations than it is to get past the emissions issues. Airbags 'n stuff are annoying and useless, not to mention potentially unsafe, IMO.

I want one of those Atoms. Cars have gotten way too big and heavy... and almost nothing sold recently can even be considered a driver's car.

Well, on the bright side, you wouldn't have to import it. They are manufactured under licence in the US, by Brammo Motorsports. I think they're located in Oregon.

Upvote 0