• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Disable precise aiming while leaning

If the problem is the game not showing enough of the player when leaning or clipping bugs associated with leaning, then fix that. Don't make the accuracy worse or remove the ability to rest your weapon while leaning, because they are fine.

No shooting while leaning would be horrible with the movement speeds we have in this game. There's no way vs. competent players you'd be able to get a shot off around a corner if the other guy was already waiting in iron sights.

Upvote 0
If the problem is the game not showing enough of the player when leaning or clipping bugs associated with leaning, then fix that. Don't make the accuracy worse or remove the ability to rest your weapon while leaning, because they are fine.

No shooting while leaning would be horrible with the movement speeds we have in this game. There's no way vs. competent players you'd be able to get a shot off around a corner if the other guy was already waiting in iron sights.

Everybody is for fixing the problem but aslong as it isn't fixed this is the best temporarily solution ^^. Just like no recoil bug was added again after it was fixed because it gave more recoil than normal or something.

Upvote 0
Everybody is for fixing the problem but aslong as it isn't fixed this is the best temporarily solution ^^. Just like no recoil bug was added again after it was fixed because it gave more recoil than normal or something.

These aren't so hard things to fix. Simple solution to recoil bug is tune down recoil and simple solution to clipping and leaning problem is changing point of view from eye level to your chin, two simple parameter changes.

Upvote 0
i don't agree with all of you guys. i did not noticed the "leanbuggers", i did not notice the "clipping issues"...

you're whiners! nothing else. if somebody can shoot you, you can shoot him too..

you say: "oh, you could see only 2 pixels of his head" - WELL DAMN, SHOOT HIM.

stop whining.

PS: did you tried to get a "clipping" or "leaningbug" position for yourself? well, you'll see, you can be hitted too.............................................................................................................................................
so, if it's impossible for YOU or ME to get such a "bugged" position, why should HE be able to do that?

:mad:

EDIT: i am not saying that there are no bugs in this game. it can happen that you can only see the enemy gun while he is aiming for you. but thats a normal bug, not a reproducable one. so what i mean is, you cannot _use_ this bug every round.

EDIT2: ah, i think i am offtopic. so btt: don't remove resting while leaning. it's the only chance for a bolt-rifleman, on danzig for example, to hit anything.
if you will remove the leaning-resting system, it would be all about the firepower ----> Rifles are now _useless_ in mid-range combat situations (danzig, 20-30m). think about it.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rifles aren't at all useless at mid-range. They're perfectly useful if you're a good shot and can pick up targets quickly. The trick is HOW you advance on a position. Obviously, dug-in troops are going to be waiting, rifles at the ready, for you to come down that pathway so you either have to move in such a large group that they can't get you all, take a different pathway entirely, or leapfrog your way up using covering fire and SMART use of grenades.

Just to clarify, though, 20-30m is NOT mid-range. that's close range. Not point blank, but close range nonetheless. mid-range is more like +150m. We don't really engage at mid-range on any of the urban maps.

In close combat, rifles aren't useless, but they're definitely not as useful as a semi-auto, assault rifle, or SMG. None of this should come as a surprise to anyone, though.

Upvote 0
The main problem in game is rifle/snipe can hide 99% of their body, and still aim. Here is the solution. Don't allow people to deploy weapons (and allow accurate shots) while leaning. Then it would be usefull for short range and and stop the constant clipping fest on map like danzig.

With the way Red Orchestra is and how you can rest your gun on everything, I wonder how much coding work it would take to make it so you can't rest your gun while leaning?

Upvote 0
@ solo4114
yeah ok, so if i have a SMG and you have a rifle. lets meet on danzig and show me your quick good shots at that mid range :p
i think you will hit esc after 10 minutes of dying.
EDIT2: damn, ok this does not make sense^^. it will work only, if they really take away the resting while leaning.
but try it out please: lean around a corner with a bolt-action, do NOT rest your weapon, and shoot the enemy :) (of course its possible... but try it)

sorry, but the only thing a SMG-soldier hast to be afraid of, is a rifleman around the corner who leans and can get a well-aimed shot at him

without leaning-resting, the SMG-soldiers will rush us riflemen down. :(

EDIT: sure there is a possibility to hit someone with an unrested bolt-rifle :D
btw: close combat is for me, if you're going to stab your enemy ;) everything else is mid-to-far :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
See, the problem is that the weapon sway kicks in way too fast since OstFront (I'm sure it was changed from the MOD precisely to enforce us to make rested shots) so I'm against disabling it, even if it's only for leaning.

That sway kicks in so crappily fast is the exact reason why this system would work. You can still kill at close range but just can;t popoff when only showing the tip of something.

Upvote 0
@ solo4114
yeah ok, so if i have a SMG and you have a rifle. lets meet on danzig and show me your quick good shots at that mid range :p
i think you will hit esc after 10 minutes of dying.

That'll depend entirely on where I'm attacking from and what kind of avenues of attack I take.

For example: If you're in the tunnel, and I'm at the wrecked truck on the West Bridgehead, I'll have the advantage. If I try to run through the wine cellar and you're at the top of the stairs, you'll have the advantage. If I'm in the house overlooking the market, I'll have the advantage. If you're IN the house with me, you'll have the advantage.

Even so, most of this is still at relatively close range. I'd say the distances on Danzig never get over about 200-300m, with the possible exception of the long alleyway between the windows looking from the command post down to the open window by the market entrance. That I could see being 400-500m MAYBE. Probably not even that long, though.

Most combat on that map occurs at less than 100m, which I consider close range, so in most cases, yes, you'll have the advantage. On the other hand, try the same tactic running across open ground on Koenigsplatz.

Rifles aren't useless. They ARE however less useful than SMGs at close range. As they should be. But they're PLENTY useful at medium to long range. I think the issue here is that what you consider "medium" range is what I still consider "short" range.

Upvote 0
Well, I thought you were saying "The rifles are useless at medium range" as a blanket statement, which is what I was responding to.

But I still don't fully agree that you have to use this corner thing to survive on Danzig. It helps, sure, but there's plenty of other options. Danzig's a pretty porous map for defenders. There are a LOT of avenues of attack, usually at least three to each position except possibly the two bridge zones (which have no corners anyway). That doesn't mean the corner shooting doesn't help -- of course it does -- but it is by no means the only way to survive.

Upvote 0
Where is the difference between a crouched soldier behind cover that has his gun rested and a soldier who is leaning out behind a wall with his gun rested ?

No difference, clipping bug can occur whenever resting weapon, especially in crouched position when looking down and resting weapon in windows, it is famous "helmet" sniper. Moving view point to chin would help preventing this bug, becouse it would expose your face and maybe even weapon when bug occurs. I still don't know are maps allowing this radical view point change becouse I guess all windows heights should be changed also. But this should be only temporary fix, until clipping is entirely fixed. But I guess this would require engine change.

Upvote 0
Well, I thought you were saying "The rifles are useless at medium range" as a blanket statement, which is what I was responding to.

But I still don't fully agree that you have to use this corner thing to survive on Danzig. It helps, sure, but there's plenty of other options. Danzig's a pretty porous map for defenders. There are a LOT of avenues of attack, usually at least three to each position except possibly the two bridge zones (which have no corners anyway). That doesn't mean the corner shooting doesn't help -- of course it does -- but it is by no means the only way to survive.

hehe, yes, you're right too. but imagine the adrenaline: smg vs rifle at close range fight around a corner - trying to aim with the rifle around the corner while being under heavy spray-fire from the enemy-smg.

i think it is nearly impossible to hit this guy (and kill him) ;) - except you know he is a stupid bot-like player without any aiming and so he is no threat for you.

Upvote 0