• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shimmering Effect on Roads etc...

I have this on the UT99 engine in some maps. It has to do with the textures connect. In fact, the bright lines you see in that screenshot is actually a bsp/crack and the brightness comes from whats behind there (like the skybox). It occurs in both opengl and d3d, i've never been able to fix it for my ati9800pro. When i run the same map on my old gf2pro the cracks don't happen.

Afaik it's a card/driver issue.

I've never seen it in ut2k4/mods/newer ut engines though, only on ut99 and it looks exactly like the yellow lines in that screenshot.

Upvote 0
This problem is related to transparancy, whats happening there is the terrain has a road "painted" ontop of the grassy background texture, if you look carefully, its happening wherever a texture fades away to show another texture beneath it, like edges of roads, patches of dry grass that fades to green grass, etc etc.

It is, however, NOT a BSP related thing, what you are seeing there is not the "Hall of mirrors" effect you see with BSP holes, it is the Alpha layer you can see (which should have been invisible or transparent), and obviously the card does not quite know how to render it, as it should not be rendering it at all in the first place.

Another related problem is decals showing their invisible background, others have posted images of blood decals where you could see the big square the decal is painted on showing up on the ground (the square itself should be invisible, only showing the blood painted on there, but the transparency in the alpha layer is not working).

This seems to be an ATI card thing, either the drivers are not working with how the UT engine handles transparent and invisible textures, or the game engine does not communicate well enough with the ATI cards, its possibly related to the DDS texture compression.

Well atleast, to me, that is what it looks like.

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
This problem is related to transparancy, whats happening there is the terrain has a road "painted" ontop of the grassy background texture, if you look carefully, its happening wherever a texture fades away to show another texture beneath it, like edges of roads, patches of dry grass that fades to green grass, etc etc.

It is, however, NOT a BSP related thing, what you are seeing there is not the "Hall of mirrors" effect you see with BSP holes, it is the Alpha layer you can see (which should have been invisible or transparent), and obviously the card does not quite know how to render it, as it should not be rendering it at all in the first place.

Another related problem is decals showing their invisible background, others have posted images of blood decals where you could see the big square the decal is painted on showing up on the ground (the square itself should be invisible, only showing the blood painted on there, but the transparency in the alpha layer is not working).

This seems to be an ATI card thing, either the drivers are not working with how the UT engine handles transparent and invisible textures, or the game engine does not communicate well enough with the ATI cards, its possibly related to the DDS texture compression.

Well atleast, to me, that is what it looks like.

If it is driver problem, don't you find it very odd that ATI and nVidia people are having the same problems? Also the fact that at least two driver versions for ATI (6.3 and 6.5) haven't fixed it as well as two driver versions from nVidia? Of these four driver versions, one for ATI and one for nvidia were the newest...

Upvote 0
S.h.r.i.k.e. said:
If it is driver problem, don't you find it very odd that ATI and nVidia people are having the same problems? Also the fact that at least two driver versions for ATI (6.3 and 6.5) haven't fixed it as well as two driver versions from nVidia? Of these four driver versions, one for ATI and one for nvidia were the newest...

Untill now i haven't heard of anyone getting it on Nvidia cards, but plenty who've had it on ATI cards.

But that does deminish the odds of it beeing a driver issue, and make it more likely to be engine related.

But im still certain its a problem with masked textures and alpha layers, thats the most logical source of the problem, and a known archilies heel with the Unreal engine.

Upvote 0
I have a nvidia 6800XT and I have the shimmering road problem too. Also, on arad, there are thin lines above the trees. It does the same thing on 2 different graphics cards of the same type (I had to replace my old card for unrelated reasons). But it happens on my new one too.

BUT, I think it might be a driver related issue because before my old graphics card broke, I installed a new driver and the shimmering and lines disappeared. Plus the overall quality of the graphics increased. but I'm not sure exactly what I did.

Now that I have my new card though, it's back to the same thing.

Upvote 0
When i installed my graphicscard i never was able to reproduce it, but after a new driver install a week ago i got the problem, so i could finally search and mess around what would fix it (i use ati myself)

Anyway look for a setting called "alternate pixel centers", that will fix the problem. Nvidia will probably have something comparable aswell.

Just a small update ^^

Upvote 0
I have the shimmering problem on two separate Nvidia cards, a 6600 gt and a 6800 on 2 computers. My brother's computer also has this problem. He has a 6800xt.

A weird thing that I get on both is that if i turn AA on on arad, I get a little line above the treelines.

Shot00003.jpg

I see this on 3 different computers, in addition to the shimmering. It only occurs with AA on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here too. No driver ever fixed this. Ati 9800pro.
Maybe the mapper can raise those tracks a fex pixels(?) in the next update. Seems a lot less work than having an x amount of people try heaps of drivers and tweaks to solve what is clearly an engine issue.

Not saying that drivers can't fix this, i'm sure it's possible, but when Mozes can't go to the mountain...

Upvote 0