• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wanna fix nade spamming?

mbrooksay

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2006
Auburn, NY
Make it so you can not run while throwing grenades. That, or let a player take one step before he throws the grenade to simulate stepping into the throw (similar to throwing a baseball).

People on maps such as Danzig or Odessa run out and throw both their grenades at the enemy and it totally ruins gun fights, which to me and many others I know what makes RO so special from the rest of the game. Iron sight only gunfights are the most fun I've had in any shooter, and half the time nowadays you're shooting at someone who has a grenade in their hands.

On top of that, RO has a huge problem with people cooking their nades and holding them for just the right amount of time before they throw them at somebody's feet who is trying to shoot them.

I have a feeling removing running while throwing a grenade will be highly opposed by a lot of people, but it will be for the better of RO, and it will definitely help new players adapt to the game more quickly instead of being constantly under grenade spam. You do want to keep players hooked to RO, don't you TWI?

If any people here have played with me you'll know I am not the guy who doesn't use his grenades. I am 100% guilty of grenade spam, but it works, and I use what works. I wish it didn't really work so well though.

I really dont think thats the answer at all.

Personaly i think the nades you get should be based on a timer not based on respawning only. say you get 1 nade every 3 or 4 min. So if the timer has counted down and you die you spawn with a nade if it hasnt counted down you dont spawn with a nade unless you havnt used the one you got from last time yet. That way you couldnt just throw two nades into a high traffic area die and repeat over and over again. you would need to be more tatical about using them and only use them when you really needed them not just trying to get easy kills.

If not that maybe just making it random if you spawn with 0 1 or 2 nades. That way not everyone has them to spam all the time.

Upvote 0
Once again "Danzig" & "nade spam" uttered together for the first time in a while. This unholy union has been resurrected from the crypt to plaque RO believers once again.

I never really had a problem with nades. Generally I try to keep my distance from enemies and cut them down before they are within nade throwing range. As for indoor fighting & nade usage....well that's what a nade does best, nothing wrong with that.

Upvote 0
Even though there clearly is a problem with how many grenades are actually used in RO every 30 seconds, I have no problem with grenades either. I give grenade kills, and I take them as well. That doens't change the fact that there is a problem.

I'd like to see a statistic to how many grenades are thrown to how many shots are fired in a server for a 30 second period in the midst of an intense battle. If it weren't for the PPSH's that kill one person every 30 shots, we'd see a grenade overload.

Upvote 0
My biggest problem with grenades is not that you can throw them while running but at the accuracy you can do it at. There is no difference between throwing a grenade from a stopped standing position and a sprinting, zig-zagging, jump-throw. With the current system why would anyone stand still while aiming a grenade? You can strafe out around the corner, zig-zag towards the enemy, and jump-throw it far too accurately.

Upvote 0
Make it so you can not run while throwing grenades. That, or let a player take one step before he throws the grenade to simulate stepping into the throw (similar to throwing a baseball).

Why? That is not realistic.

People on maps such as Danzig or Odessa run out and throw both their grenades at the enemy and it totally ruins gun fights, which to me and many others I know what makes RO so special from the rest of the game. Iron sight only gunfights are the most fun I've had in any shooter, and half the time nowadays you're shooting at someone who has a grenade in their hands.

What is not realistic about someone with a grenade in their hand?

On top of that, RO has a huge problem with people cooking their nades and holding them for just the right amount of time before they throw them at somebody's feet who is trying to shoot them.

Now, that's simply a "Boo-Hoo" about being killed by someone who KNOWS how to use a grenade.

I have a feeling removing running while throwing a grenade will be highly opposed by a lot of people, but it will be for the better of RO, and it will definitely help new players adapt to the game more quickly instead of being constantly under grenade spam. You do want to keep players hooked to RO, don't you TWI?

Anything done to placate complaints/suggestions of this sort, will prove to be a detriment to the fine reputation for realism RO enjoys.

If any people here have played with me you'll know I am not the guy who doesn't use his grenades. I am 100% guilty of grenade spam, but it works, and I use what works. I wish it didn't really work so well though.

Grenades also work well in actual combat. :cool:

Upvote 0

Not realistic and for sure it doesn't help realistic gameplay where you toss granades in every corner when advancing trenches and clear rooms which was quite realistic. Granades is used for close quarters combat under 50 meters, they are extremely effective clearing rooms and trenches and enemy potholes. Don't restrict running with granades.

Upvote 0
Not realistic and for sure it doesn't help realistic gameplay where you toss granades in every corner when advancing trenches and clear rooms which was quite realistic. Granades is used for close quarters combat under 50 meters, they are extremely effective clearing rooms and trenches and enemy potholes. Don't restrict running with granades.

I'm not sure if I am supposed to agree with you or not. Did you mean that it is realistic to throw a grenade in every corner in trenches? If so then I totally agree. Grenades, movement and the ability to fire quickly are essential when assaulting fixed positions. Hell, I am starting to dislike the new "pick up weapons"-system because it makes it so damned hard to pick up enemy grenades. (Half of my deaths in assault situations occur while I am occupied with picking up grenades).

I do however agree that there is a gameplay problem where most people throw their grenades in the same position (AT-gun position on Basovka, bridgheads in Danzig and so on) regardless of any prescense of friendly forces. What is missing and what could help a little is if grenades made some noise when landing. After all they have some weight and consist mostly of wood/metal so they should produce some sort of sound when landing/hitting something. This would at least give the player a short time to drop into cover. Also, if fuses varied in burntime just a tad more, that might scare off alot people from over cooking their grenades.

Upvote 0
What should be fixed with nades:
- Jumping to throw them longer
- Random fuses
- Swapping from rifle to nades should take longer

Apart from that, nades are fine. They were used in millions and if you want realism you have to keep them in the numbers they are now. That said, like the points above imply, some things are not realistic grenade-wise.
  • Jumping doesn't help squat RL of course, a few extra steps could though.
  • Cooking shouldn't be as widespread as it is now due to the fact that many grenades during the WW2 had random fuse-timer, so soldiers didn't cook them most of the time. The fuses could be as low as 3 seconds and as high as 7 as far as I can recall. I read it somewhere ages ago, bear with me here.
  • Finally, it should take longer when swapping from rifle to grenades! When in battle you don't use the sling on a bolt-action and it takes longer than 1,5 sec to sling it on your shoulder and get a grenade out of your pocket, or unfasten it if attached to your body in other ways, ready for throwing.
  • Finally, I do wish they didn't stick to whatever surface they happen to land on, like downhills and suchlike. It's just weird, especially for the russian grenades - the stick grenades were designed NOT to roll down hills if you threw them up on them :)
Agree?

EDIT: I don't really have a problem with grenades as is anyway, the points above are just a few minor niggles as I see it. If you die alot to 'nades, you should learn to avoid them. I rarely die to grenades on Danzig, you just need to be aware of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What should be fixed with nades:
- Jumping to throw them longer
- Random fuses
- Swapping from rifle to nades should take longer

Apart from that, nades are fine. They were used in millions and if you want realism you have to keep them in the numbers they are now. That said, like the points above imply, some things are not realistic grenade-wise.
  • Jumping doesn't help squat RL of course, a few extra steps could though.
  • Cooking shouldn't be as widespread as it is now due to the fact that many grenades during the WW2 had random fuse-timer, so soldiers didn't cook them most of the time. The fuses could be as low as 3 seconds and as high as 7 as far as I can recall. I read it somewhere ages ago, bear with me here.
  • Finally, it should take longer when swapping from rifle to grenades! When in battle you don't use the sling on a bolt-action and it takes longer than 1,5 sec to sling it on your shoulder and get a grenade out of your pocket, or unfasten it if attached to your body in other ways, ready for throwing.
Agree?

I agree, longer time for changing from rifle to granade, but not longer time when swapping back to your rifle. You really want to be carefull with granades before you throw them, one fumble is enough "Oh, I dropped it, where that granade went...BOOOM!!!"

Upvote 0
Now, that's simply a "Boo-Hoo" about being killed by someone who KNOWS how to use a grenade.

I had a feeling somebody would come into the thread with a reply saying I'm crying because I get grenaded. You obviously have never played with me, because if you did, you would realize I am one of the biggest grenade whores in Red Orchestra.

Most of your points against mine were stupid, ro just ask a question in retaliation.

I wasn't in World War II, but I bet half of an enemy force didn't run from beind their cover out into the open with grenades cooking in their hand so they could take out an enemy.

Upvote 0
Make it so you can not run while throwing grenades.
Thats pretty stupid
That, or let a player take one step before he throws the grenade to simulate stepping into the throw (similar to throwing a baseball).
Thats pretty interesting idea
yes thats the difference between those who know how to use them and those who not

Upvote 0
If you are running, there should be some chance of you dropping it
Pardon? Are you serious? Do you really think a soldier would drop a nade just because he is running? And why should running decrease your throwing accuracy? If you want to throw something with force you pretty much always run at least a few steps. You might not win a darting contest on the run, but other than that I don

Upvote 0
I think the "solution" to the "nade spamming" problem is not anything to do with supply (this has been MUCH improved from the mod), so that's not the answer.

I don't see nade spam as a problem, but I do think grenade usage could be a bit more realistic. Running with a nade should be fine, but I think the free-aim aspect should apply somewhat to nades. Moving around too much should decrease accuracy because, hey, we're not all ball players doing a leaping double-play and throwing with real accuracy (nor do we need to be with grenades -- "close enough" counts).

Also, the ability for nades to bounce and roll would be extremely useful for making them more situational. right now, you throw a grenade, and it pretty much sits where it lands. It doesn't roll, it doesn't bounce (unless you throw it against a wall or something), and THAT is where the accuracy comes in. The arm accuracy for where to throw it is pretty much ok as it is. You don't REALLY need free-aim or decreased accuracy from moving because, hey, it's a grenade. If it blows up in the general vicinity of the target, mission accomplished. We don't have to put them through coffee cans at 50 yards.

But, the predictability of the grenade, the notion that it WILL stay EXACTLY where it lands is where you run into trouble. If the grenade doesn't bounce, roll, slide, etc. it'll remain just as accurate. If it's a lot less precise in the LANDING rather than the THROWING, I think the nade spam will be far less effective. So, yeah, people will still toss a lot of nades, but it'll matter a lot less or they'll have to actually get good at landing their nades.

Upvote 0
I think the "solution" to the "nade spamming" problem is not anything to do with supply (this has been MUCH improved from the mod), so that's not the answer.

I don't see nade spam as a problem, but I do think grenade usage could be a bit more realistic. Running with a nade should be fine, but I think the free-aim aspect should apply somewhat to nades. Moving around too much should decrease accuracy because, hey, we're not all ball players doing a leaping double-play and throwing with real accuracy (nor do we need to be with grenades -- "close enough" counts).

Also, the ability for nades to bounce and roll would be extremely useful for making them more situational. right now, you throw a grenade, and it pretty much sits where it lands. It doesn't roll, it doesn't bounce (unless you throw it against a wall or something), and THAT is where the accuracy comes in. The arm accuracy for where to throw it is pretty much ok as it is. You don't REALLY need free-aim or decreased accuracy from moving because, hey, it's a grenade. If it blows up in the general vicinity of the target, mission accomplished. We don't have to put them through coffee cans at 50 yards.

But, the predictability of the grenade, the notion that it WILL stay EXACTLY where it lands is where you run into trouble. If the grenade doesn't bounce, roll, slide, etc. it'll remain just as accurate. If it's a lot less precise in the LANDING rather than the THROWING, I think the nade spam will be far less effective. So, yeah, people will still toss a lot of nades, but it'll matter a lot less or they'll have to actually get good at landing their nades.

And it would make me a much happier person. The thought of all the possibilities to get a grenade where it is supposed to land... that extra little slide to make it drop into the trench and not stay outside... a man can dream though, a man can dream.

Upvote 0