• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is Red Orchestra going to stay as a PC exclusive?

Epitaph

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 12, 2006
Hey, I've been a huge fan of Red Orchestra for some time, but this is the first time I've ever felt like asking a question regarding the game on the official forum.

I know that Red Orchestra is probably going to stay as a PC game, but after watching this new trailer of Call of Duty 3 for the Wii, it got me thinking about Red Orchestra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KY15m7-eOg&eurl=

I'm guessing that the market for fps games without a fixed crosshair has been rather limited on the PC (I can't even think of other big FPS games without a fixed crosshair), but this Wii does have the potential to completely smash the FPS genre.

I would personally like to see Red Orchestra hit the Wii once the online multiplayer situation of the Wii has been sorted out (i.e. Nintendo lets other developers besides first-part developers know how to set up with their service).

I bet there are probably going to be a number of people going blah blah consoles **** blah blah cod3 graphics on the wii are blah. But seriously, you have to admit, if a developer figures out the best possible way for movement and aiming with the Wii controller for FPS games, the mouse could very well look very primitive.

And considering that RO's graphics seem pretty scalable, I think a RO version for the Wii could be very nice, so long as it's not Unreal Engine 3.0 since I doubt the Wii will be able to handle that (well, so says the people who made that engine (Epic Games right?).

I doubt this will happen, but you have to admit, it would be pretty interesting to see it happen, the whole cranking for the lowering of the turret just makes me think about other possible things that the RO team could do when it comes to sheer realistic controls.

In RO, you need very precise aiming, and its rather hard seeing targets in long ranges. A TV screen does not seem to see as well, and it would be very hard trying to hit a person far away with Iron Sights. Controllers are hard to aim with, and it would be very challanging hitting a tiny moving target with a controller, while a mouse would be easier. The Wiimote is not going to do RO justice either, I am afraid. If you see the Red Steel videos, you will see how hard it is hitting something in the game, and you have crosshairs to help aiming, RO, has no crosshairs, which is very vital to FPS on console. The Wiimote won't be precise, because there is no surface to rest it on, while a mouse is rested on the ground/pad. Aiming with a Wiimote will be very shaky and cubersome.

Upvote 0
In RO, you need very precise aiming, and its rather hard seeing targets in long ranges. A TV screen does not seem to see as well, and it would be very hard trying to hit a person far away with Iron Sights. Controllers are hard to aim with, and it would be very challanging hitting a tiny moving target with a controller, while a mouse would be easier. The Wiimote is not going to do RO justice either, I am afraid. If you see the Red Steel videos, you will see how hard it is hitting something in the game, and you have crosshairs to help aiming, RO, has no crosshairs, which is very vital to FPS on console. The Wiimote won't be precise, because there is no surface to rest it on, while a mouse is rested on the ground/pad. Aiming with a Wiimote will be very shaky and cubersome.

maybe that's what would be so cool about it.

Upvote 0
While I think that if it was a pure direct port to consoles the gameplay might end up being more realisitic given how hard it is to aim with analog sticks etc. and how immersive it might be to really have an advantage if you are the one pinning the other player, TWI only has a PC license for the UE2.5 engine :(

I used to think ROO on consoles would ****, but now I think that if things were done with toggle crouch/sprint and prone, it might just work out :) infact I might go get an x360 controler just to see what mappings would have to be :x

Upvote 0

Really exciting video. RO isn't maybe converted to Wii, but maybe RO2 is :)I think there is no need for crosshair, you could have only ironsights like in RO and weapon could be moved along with your controller and you can support your controller to table if you want to be able to shoot more precisely, actually you can lay down on the floor if you like if you are sniping. Haven't used this controller but I think ability to point and shoot is more accurate than with normal gamepad and I guess it can be almost as accurate as your mouse, it really depends how much you move your hand and how game is configured. I found this article about Red Steel and COD3 and COD3 has much more accurate controls with Wii.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=148454

I have allways hated consoles becouse cumbersome gamepad controller, I prefer joystick or mouse, but this new Wii controller is giving some reason to buy console. But I still doubt I am going to buy any console becouse I got motion sickness from many games and with console there is too few options to disable camera bobbing, shaking and blur, though if I can disable all those I have to reconsider. Look at this awful camera shaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET3xQ3nwklc&mode=related&search=

Upvote 0
consoles are noobish, thats all they attract.
hardcore pc games are the best. i cannot imagine maintaining the accuracy currently needed in RO to play good on a console, cause all the controls of consoles are messed up.
shooters are not even playable, if they would be playable then there wouldnt be auto-aiming on by DEFAULT!

RO is to much of a quality game to waste on consoles :cool:

Upvote 0
consoles are noobish, thats all they attract.
hardcore pc games are the best. i cannot imagine maintaining the accuracy currently needed in RO to play good on a console, cause all the controls of consoles are messed up.
shooters are not even playable, if they would be playable then there wouldnt be auto-aiming on by DEFAULT!

RO is to much of a quality game to waste on consoles :cool:

Actually if the control of the Wii works well (can't judge yet since it's not out) this will be a new era for FPS no more super point and click to get a perfect shot now you need a steady hand, if you want super steady aim you can always rest your hand on something but of course you will lose some mobility just as in real life.

And also I will probably get a Wii because Nintendo understands something other game makers don't (talking about nintendo titles of course): gameplay > flashy graphics (I can live with the pink nintendo fluff just because their games ar FUN for more then 5 minutes and generally have more depth).

Upvote 0
the Wii controllers are just mice, right? Something in-between a console controller and a PC mouse. I dont see the big deal.

and to address the thread topic... I dont personally think RO would translate to a console platform very well. However, if Tripwire were able to fleece a ton of console guys of their money for some simplified version, and then reinvest most of those proceeds into a PC version using the UE3 engine... then I say COOL.

:cool:

Upvote 0