• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I thought of buying a new computer.

Naim

Mar 11, 2006
Finland
Yes so I plan to buy a new computer this christmas, something like this:

Nvidia GeForce 7950GX2
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
G-Skill DDr2 800 mHz 2gb (1gb x2)
Asus P5B Deluxe

I already have power, case, Dvd player, display etc.. What do you think of this? Any good? SOmething to change perhaps? My budget is set to like 2000-2300 euros. Thanks in advance.

Nape

Yes so I plan to buy a new computer this christmas, something like this:

Nvidia GeForce 7950GX2
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
G-Skill DDr2 800 mHz 2gb (1gb x2)
Asus P5B Deluxe

I already have power, case, Dvd player, display etc.. What do you think of this? Any good? SOmething to change perhaps? My budget is set to like 2000-2300 euros. Thanks in advance.

Nape

The way I understand it, in order to benefit from the 7950GX2 is if you play on resolutions higher than 1280x1024. If you don't have a monitor able to run at a higher resolution than 1280x1024 you can forget about the 7950GX2 and get a less expensive card and spend the extra cash on the Core 2 Duo 6600 or 6700.

Cheers.

Ps; I

Upvote 0
The way I understand it, in order to benefit from the 7950GX2 is if you play on resolutions higher than 1280x1024. If you don't have a monitor able to run at a higher resolution than 1280x1024 you can forget about the 7950GX2 and get a less expensive card and spend the extra cash on the Core 2 Duo 6600 or 6700.

Cheers.

Ps; I’m not PC expert but I’m upgrading soon as well and have read a lot on the subject.
Try using an easier to read font color next time.

Upvote 0
Although the G80s rock super hardcore, I'd wait before buying any DX10 card until DX10 games start coming out. That, and let's not kid ourselves, they're EXPENSIVE. The only reason they're as expensive as they are at the moment is because they really have absolutely no competition. ATI's R600 GPU isn't due to debue until the first quarter of next year, and even then, specs concerning its nature have remained highly tight lipped.

Then it really boils down to what kind of games are you playing. If you're like me who just plays Day of Defeat Source, Warcraft III, and Red Orchestra (games that are primarily CPU bound), then a G80 would almost seem completely overkill. You can buy yesterday's behemoths at rock bottom prices now. Heck, you could probably buy a good Radeon x1950XT 256mb or Geforce 7900GTO 512mb for $260 now and pick yourself up a faster-than-Geforce8800-GTS later for ~$250.

I bought my Geforce 6800GT for $400 when it first came out, and I think that was a pretty good investment. However, given the nature of the evolution of GPU technology, I could have waited and spent a whole lot less in the long run, and really not have "suffered" graphically given the fact that I had a Radeon 9700 Pro at the time - a card that even until this day will surprise you.

Then agian, despite my last $400 upgrade, I refuse to pay any more than ~$250-300 for a video card. I remember when you could get a near top of the line video card for $129.99 (Voodoo3 2000 anyone?). Spending $680 on a Geforce 8800GTX is just absurd.

Upvote 0
Wow Ranari my thoughts exactly! I cant see getting a card that is much over 300 bucks. I got the 7900Gt for 270 and it plays every game i want great. RO gets 80 fps with 4xAA and 8xAF at 1280X1024. I just got Medieval II and i dont know my FPS but is is running smooth. My plan is to get the best card for around 300 buck and sell my old one when i start not getting the performance i want. When you get the "best" card you better have a 24"+ monitor or you are wasting your monitor.

As for CPU i am thinking of switching from AM2 to an e6600

Upvote 0
Until your games start playing slow, I wouldn't bother.

I used to work for a small mom-n'-pop computer shop a few years back doing warehouse work, and I was exposed to all the latest and greatest that entered the market. Believe me, I spent thousands of dollars upgrading computer parts, and now that I look back at it all, I really didn't have to. I've had my current Athlon64 3200+ (2.2ghz) with 1gb DDR400 RAM, a Geforce 6800GT, and X-Fi for the better part of two years now, and it's still holding up solid. Your computer is well beyond mine, so in all honestly, I'd save your money.

Really, truly, seriously, honestly, genuinely... until your games start running like ****e, save your pennies. I'm also biased though. I have the money to upgrade at the moment, but what I really want to save my pennies for is a ring for my girlfriend. I plan on popping the *question* in February. :)

Upvote 0
Until your games start playing slow, I wouldn't bother.

I used to work for a small mom-n'-pop computer shop a few years back doing warehouse work, and I was exposed to all the latest and greatest that entered the market. Believe me, I spent thousands of dollars upgrading computer parts, and now that I look back at it all, I really didn't have to. I've had my current Athlon64 3200+ (2.2ghz) with 1gb DDR400 RAM, a Geforce 6800GT, and X-Fi for the better part of two years now, and it's still holding up solid. Your computer is well beyond mine, so in all honestly, I'd save your money.

Really, truly, seriously, honestly, genuinely... until your games start running like ****e, save your pennies. I'm also biased though. I have the money to upgrade at the moment, but what I really want to save my pennies for is a ring for my girlfriend. I plan on popping the *question* in February. :)
Don't do it! Don't get ****ed into the void of hell!

Ahh, just kidding man, good luck with that.

Upvote 0