• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Predator Halloween Costume

Polygon

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2005
polygon.redorchestragame.com
EDIT: Sorry, had to delete the last thread due to technical difficulties...

IF IMAGES DO NOT WORK, HIT VIEW IMAGE

Hey guys,

With Halloween over, I thought I should share with you the first predator costume I've worked on for over a month. When I first began, I started browsing through various sites such as Predator Stuff and eventually came across a community site known as The Hunter's Lair. Personally, as an art major, I have experience with traditional art such as sculpture and painting, but have never constructed my own halloween costume of this nature. Before I continue, I'd like to thank the following people for advice that allowed me to reach this point in my costume:

Mortal: Putting up with my many questions regarding the overall process of what materials to use, etc.

Big Gunns: Same as above, and for inspiring me with her wonderful foamies armor tutorial.

XCal: For great deal on the predator latex mask and armor, definitely a pleasure doing business with you!

Savage Yautja: General advice, and introducing me to the community.

Raptor Arts: Good time talking with you about costume building, loved your alienated bio as well.

Kithunter: Big thanks for answering some of my other technical questions.

My roommate for inspiring me to go to such lengths (and money) for a Halloween costume...

...To pretty much everyone else who hangs out in the lair chat room.

Back on subject, I was originally interested in doing a Predator 1 style costume, but eventually took it further into something along the lines of a customized suit and armor type. I was actually going to heavily modify an AVP latex face mask, but after seeing what everyone here was posting, I decided to take it further with a realistic latex cast with separate dreadlocks to install. However, I did end up using AVP hands, but covered those with new gauntlets I built from scratch.

For the body suit, I went out and purchased a generic superhero costume and repainted it with the latex + acrylics + rubber cement adhesive combination and sealed it in the end with perma-wet, which has proven to be durable from my experience. The face mask was painted similarly minus the latex which I found to be somewhat irritating to deal with when painting over the red color in my suit, but it eventually worked out. I also individually installed the dreadlocks using armaflex foam tubing material and attached hand made resin beads which added more depth to the piece.

The armor was created through many, many, layers of "fun foam" material and some insulated cardboard bits for areas with increased thickness. The material is extremely durable overall, although it does have its limitations when compared to something more "hardened." For painting the armor, I ended up with straight acrylics and sealing with perma-wet at the end since I had a large enough stock. I also experimented with the glue gun a bit and produced raised areas and sections with alien blood dissolving the armor.

So without further ado, here are some images of my costume experience:

Here is a shot of the overall costume:
PredCos2.jpg

Front view of the face mask I painted:
Mask1.jpg

Side view of the mask painted:
Mask2.jpg

View of the armor I created:
PackNew1.jpg

Standing proud in the center of campus with our university statue:
PredMason.jpg

Closer view:
GMStatue.jpg

Teletubby should know better than to pick a fight with a yautja:
TeleFight2.jpg

Strangling a tubby':
TeleFight.jpg

Sacrificing something..
Sacrifice.jpg

My favorite shot...
PredFace.jpg

Dood you phukin' pwn.

Homemade costumes are the best, my mum made me a tight Ewok costume when I was 5yo. My dad made me a awesome Leather-face costume when I was 11, complete with chainsaw. Some of the square Elementary School Teachers were mortified watching me chase the girls around the yard making chainsaw sound effects. :D

Mrs. Dellos(4th grade teacher) was the exception, she looked like Marilyn Monroe, drove a white Corvette, and was a Huge Horror Film Buff.

Upvote 0