• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A world war one mod

The Mark series of tanks would be pretty hard to impliment, considering most had a crew of around 8, but I think this could be cut back to 4-5 for gameplay.
The Renualt ond the "Whippet" I think could work pretty well, though I don't know how many crew members there were for the Whippet.

As for Countries involved and what battle. My vote goes for Britain and Germany at the Somme. As I said before I think it would be best to start out simple, then expand to include more battles and countries.
I'd love to see the French, Canadians, Scottish "Ladies from Hell", Austria-Hungarians included in the game complete with gas-attacks, and mortars.

Maybe later on add the italian campgain

Upvote 0
I would say for initial release go for two nations, Germany and Britain and do it set in the early days of the war (which was filled with fluid battles, the race to the ocean and massive infantry casulties).

Primary Classes:

(early) German Line Infantry (Infantarie):
Gewehr 98 Rifle, Bayonet, Stick Grenades and wearing the Pickelhaube helmet
Machine Gunner, MG08

(early) British Rifleman:
SMLE MkIII (this model should include the round cocking piece, magazine cut off, and volly sights), Homemade grenade and with the British Field cap (it wasn't until later in the war that helmets started making an apperance.
Machine Gunner, Vickers MG.

Make it then with say 4/5 maps and you've got yourself a good intial release to test the waters, 2 classes might not be much but that can expand later, i would prefer smaller intial releases rather than making all this bulk content and never releasing anything (FH2 for example)

Then for the future you can expand to include other nations and classes, other classes could be Sniper, Engineer/Pioner, Officer. Further additions could make it so your fighting as the German home guard (Landwehr) or the Stormtroops.

If you wanted to then add commonwealth nations all you'd have to do is add voices and change a few hats and badges.

Upvote 0
sounds like a plan anyone working on getting it started up by forums and website. invision boards are good forums as a website if this thing gets up and someone steps up as the lead designer I can possibly work on getting a website. im all for a ww1 mod its been one of the wars i like and had interest in and i would hate to see the idea just go in the wind

Upvote 0
I know its a bit prematur to think about maps but heres an idea i had.

Tyn cot is the larget British and commonwealth cemetery in te world. Its located on the same high ground as the village of Passchendaele. It was also the sight of some pretty intense fighting.
Tyne20Cot20from20the20air.jpg

In this picture you can see the two bunkers, the large memorial in the middal was built on the third.
TYNCOT.jpg

The map would play the same as hedgehog in RO, the first bunker to be taken would then become uncapable by the germans, the germans would spawn at their second spawn after both bunkers were taken. there would also be lots of shell holes to provide cover fot the british infantry. The brown lines represent trenches and the red and blue boxes are atillary radios. The black lines represent lines of fire of posible static MGs.

Upvote 0
Sounds good.
So Zoring will be paired up with A-tree in the history department. Since A-tree has displayed knowlegde in battles and Zoring with his uniforms, I think it's a good fit so we can be as historically accurate as possible.

So as of now the team stands as
Project Leader- Me
History Dept.- Zoring, A-tree
Modelling- Me (somewhat)
All other positions are open

But before we start recruiting for the positions we'll need a website (you cant still apply now if you want).
As of now I have seen 3 diferent people saying that they can make a website/forums/IRC. So i'll need some clarification on who really wants to do it, and can dedicate time on it. I'd prefer forums for now, maybe an entire website later.

I'd like to start the design document soon, but for that I'll need a definitive time period/battle before I can do it.
Once I get somewhere with that I'll show to the team, go over/edit it. Once the final copy is done (maybe even before) Modelling will start, then it goes to the texture artists, Which Zoring will be watching over for accuracy with uniforms, then its off to animators, then coders. While all this is going on, we'll brainstorm map ideas, which hopefully will be finished and sent to the mappers the same time as the models and code work is done, so everything ties in nicely.

General, and obvious overview of what is going to happen, so that everyone knows whats going on and were on the right track.

Oh yea, and I think Arto deserves to be a beta tester or hold some position for showing initiative and bringing this topic up.

That's it for now, damn that was long post for me.

Upvote 0
1916-1917 would be a good time period. 1916 included the many battles of the Somme Offensive including Albert, Delville Wood, Pozieres, Thiepval, Ancre. 1917 had Arras, Messines the battle that started with the detonations of 22 huge mines in the german lines. The Third battle of Ypres(Passchenddaele, Menin Road, Polygon Wood, Hill 60, Langermarck). If tanks get included Cambrai. All of those are famous battles in Great Britain and would be easy to find info on.

Upvote 0
1916-1917 would be a good time period. 1916 included the many battles of the Somme Offensive including Albert, Delville Wood, Pozieres, Thiepval, Ancre. 1917 had Arras, Messines the battle that started with the detonations of 22 huge mines in the german lines. The Third battle of Ypres(Passchenddaele, Menin Road, Polygon Wood, Hill 60, Langermarck). If tanks get included Cambrai. All of those are famous battles in Great Britain and would be easy to find info on.

I think you also get the British Battle of Vimy and the Canadian battle of Vimy in that period

Upvote 0
That period seems a bit narrow.
1916 and 1917 saw the typical fighting you asociate with the great war. If we where to include the opening battles of 1914 the landscape would not be as devestated and would offer a change of pace from the trenches of 16-17.
Including the german 1918 spring offensive would also provide a nice change of scenery.
That said, a first release may be better if we just do the 16-17 time frame, rather than bighting off more than we can chew

Upvote 0
My personal vote goes for the 1914-15 battles for an intial release, and gradually go up towards the end of the war with subsequent releases. Battles tended to get more complex in terms of equipment and materiale as the war went on.

I will get this postcard of my great grandfather posted in the next few days, it's pretty eerie to see, it was written on the 24th of August on the Train from Aachen to the Battlefield at Mons, he was a private in the 163rd Reserve Infantarie Division, part of the 1st German Army (he survived the war and lived till the 1950's too)

Upvote 0
I agree with Zoring. 1914 gives the battles of Mons Flanders ,the many battles of First Ypres and the "Race to the Sea." Then both sides started digging crude trenches. 1915 has Neuve Chapelle, Second Ypres where gas was first used by the Germans on the Western Front and Loos. I have a book that includes ariel photos of the trenches from those battles.

Hey SgtH3nry3 this is Tallyman from the Frontline1918 boards.

Upvote 0
I agree with Zoring. 1914 gives the battles of Mons Flanders ,the many battles of First Ypres and the "Race to the Sea." Then both sides started digging crude trenches. 1915 has Neuve Chapelle, Second Ypres where gas was first used by the Germans on the Western Front and Loos. I have a book that includes ariel photos of the trenches from those battles.

Hey SgtH3nry3 this is Tallyman from the Frontline1918 boards.
Hey Tally! ^^

But don't you agree we need another name than "The Great War"?
I mean, it's a Battlefield 1942, Half-Life 2 mod and sounds like the "The Great Trench War"-mod.

Upvote 0
The War to End All Wars.

Blood/Death On the Wire

No Man's Land

and from wiki
"“War of the Nations” and “War in Europe” were commonly employed as descriptions during the war itself and in the 1920s. In France and Belgium it was also sometimes referred to as 'La Guerre du Droit" ('the War for Justice') or 'La Guerre Pour la Civilisation" / "de Oorlog tot de Beschaving" ('the War to Preserve Civilisation'), especially on medals and commemorative monuments. The term used by official histories of the war in Britain and Canada is "First World War", while American histories use the term "World War I"."

Upvote 0