• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics German MGs!

I too sometimes have a really hard time using the MG34 and 42. And I do use them correctly. DP28 is so easy in comparison.
And that is one of the essences of the difference between Soviet and German design at the time... The Soviets sacrificed firepower for simplicity - simple to make, simple to use. The Germans always tended towards "better" - but "better" usually meant more complex and, potentially, a higher requirement on the user. Look at the tanks - Panther was a great tank, very complex and complicated. The T-34 85 was horribly simple (and I can testify that the interior is pretty horrid) - simple to make, simple to drive, simple to use.

So - the Germans had to pick one of the best men in the squad to man the squad LMG and then provide additional training for him. For the Soviets, it was just hand out the LMGs - "like a rifle, comrade, but fires more!"

Upvote 0
Well the first time i used the MG 42 in Ostfront i was quite surprised how it acted.I was in the German Army and shot the MG 3 in 7.62x51 mm (1150 shot/min)at Targets 25 Meters away and it spread about 5 cm after some practice.I could do bursts of 2-3 bullets after third time of shooting so it's not really that hard to handle ;) For me the MG 42's recoil ingame is not the way it was when i shot the Weapon.To much movement even when doing really short burts. Where did you get your Info about the MG 42 recoil?@devs :)

Upvote 0
Well the first time i used the MG 42 in Ostfront i was quite surprised how it acted.I was in the German Army and shot the MG 3 in 7.62x51 mm (1150 shot/min)at Targets 25 Meters away and it spread about 5 cm after some practice.I could do bursts of 2-3 bullets after third time of shooting so it's not really that hard to handle ;) For me the MG 42's recoil ingame is not the way it was when i shot the Weapon.To much movement even when doing really short burts. Where did you get your Info about the MG 42 recoil?@devs :)

I would think that the bigger round, 7.92x57 would produce more recoil than the .308 that the mg3 spits out.

Upvote 0
The times I have used the MG, I generally use it for the suppression effect. If you have a squad of guys with you that understand the effect an MG has when it hits the enemy, is that the enemy will take cover first, then try and find a way so that they can take you out. While they are busy doing this though, it lets your squad advance to better positions. Then you can bail out of your position before you get nailed yourself.

I practiced on bots for absolute ages, to get efficient enough with the MG, so that I could at least hit the targets. Keep practicing and you will get there.

I remember one round, when I had just started using the MG, I announced "this MG is useless, all I am hitting are the buildings" One guy replied straight back - "You're not even hitting them!"

Upvote 0
I do really like the MG42, if you just tap the trigger you get about 3-5 bullets going for the most part right where your pointing. But what gets me every time either a rifleman taking a shot before I can react or some smg that just unloads and get a shot.

When you hide yourself well though, it's rewarding to hear all those bullets from a PPSh peppering the building all around you while you mercilessly mow the sprayer down, or casually reload/change a barrel ;)

Upvote 0
I've been able to kill riflemen at ranges up to 1000m with the MG42. On average I say I engage targets at 500m+ with success.

What infantry maps allows for firing at the enemy at 500+ meters? On my 17" TFT screen running at 1280X1024 resolution I can barely see infantry at 300+ meters so how on earth do you see let alone fire at infantry at 1000 meters range?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Machine Guns are not designed to "out aim" anyone.

The machine gun is designed to create interdictory firelanes, and provide a foundation of firepower by which the rest of the team may perform their function.

If you're thinking of being the quarterback with the MG, think again. You're actually the left tackle. Use the MG properly. If you don't, not only will you suffer, but so will your team.

Upvote 0
I would think that the bigger round, 7.92x57 would produce more recoil than the .308 that the mg3 spits out.

MG-42: 7.62x57mm
MG3: 7.62x51mm

Not really a huge difference, bullet-wise.

More importantly, we have someone here's who's actually shot what is essentially an MG-42. Maybe we should be a bit more inclined to believe what he has to say about it. ;)

And about all that talk of suppression? Unless you're playing a different game than I am, the suppression is almost pointless. I can't count how many times I've been shot by the rifleman I was "suppressing."

Upvote 0
Silky_Slim said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malborex

well, in any movie i saw americans shooting the mg42 from a two leged support thing i noticced that they arent right in position. the two leg has to be slammed into the ground real hard, then crawl forward till its about to slide off the dirt. then take your left arm to the shoulder piece, there is a spot there to grab it, and press it into your shoulder, the right hand pulls backwards too, after doing so it cant "kick" you anymore cause there is no space to move for it, your whole body will vibrate instead, now this far ram your feets into the ground too and press forwards into the two leg again, now youre ready in position to aquire targets at long or medium range. both legs are streched at full lenght.

the mg42 has another hold for the two leg at about the middle of the barrel, funny is that its rarely known, even among trained soldiers. when you move the two leg to there you will be able to rotate the muzzle easier and in a wider area, at the cost of accuracy cause you cant realy steady it in this position. the arms do same as in two leg front position, but your left leg forms a winkle so you can use it to move your body around while the right leg presses gun in the two leg, using this will make it neccessary to have a buddy assiting you shooting for sure, when not using boxed ammo belts, due the movement you will slide the belt over dirt or rocks wich will make the belt stuck or rotate in a way it can hinder it from funcion propperly.

the two leg middle position is commonly used while attacking, or defending enemy that is close, also something to do when the command "Bereitmachen zum Sturmabwehrschiessen" (ready for assault counterfire) is ordered.

Upvote 0
MG-42: 7.62x57mm
MG3: 7.62x51mm

Not really a huge difference, bullet-wise.

More importantly, we have someone here's who's actually shot what is essentially an MG-42. Maybe we should be a bit more inclined to believe what he has to say about it. ;)

And about all that talk of suppression? Unless you're playing a different game than I am, the suppression is almost pointless. I can't count how many times I've been shot by the rifleman I was "suppressing."

the 42 fires 7.92x57 and not 7.62x57

Upvote 0
>> Machine Guns are not designed to "out aim" anyone.
>> If you're thinking of being the quarterback with the MG, think again.

U.S. doctrine in WWII saw the MG as a support weapon, however German doctrine of the time viewed the LMG as the primary 'punch' of the squad. Until the assault phase, the job of the rifleman was to support the LMG - get the LMG team into position and protect the flanks - not to provide the primary firepower.

The squad leader acted as the spotter for the LMG, and the job of gunner was generally given to the best shot in the squad. The belief was that the LMG provided the most effective firepower at range, and as such should be the primary focus of the squad.

Unfortunately, for this doctrine to be effective, the riflemen must dedicate themselves to supporting the LMG - doesn't happen much in RO. I will say, however, in the few instances that I had 2 or 3 people supporting me while I operated the LMG from a decent position the results were devastating.

I have gone back to using the MG-34 since there seems to be a bug with the 42 - it fires far to the left of the iron sights. Plus the accuracy is attrocious. I can accept the tail end of the burst wandering off, but the initial shot rarely seems to land where you aim. Plus the semi-auto fire from the 34 lets you snipe a bit without giving away your position too much (although you should still be firing a tracer every 5th(?) round - another little bug).

Upvote 0