• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why RO has the potential to become HUGE !!!!

n00b

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
1st of all this is the best online 1st person shooter ive played !

The ping aint so bad to a lot of overseas servers for me!
and the gameplay is pretty good/stable with a ping as high as 300 sometimes!(i see 400 pings in game regularly lol)
Some servers will be worse than others that have the same ping i admit, but you soon find the servers that are more appropriate for a
200+ ping, and you will find at least 70-80% of the time you will get the same score in a local server as you will in the good O-S server.

Tanking, i cant say that i can see a disadvantage with a high stable ping !
Infantry is where it will differ a little, on say a 250-350 ping server with a rifle/sniper you will have to lead more.(this makes for a higher skill level imo)

I feel there is not many 1st person shooters that can rival RO in this area !
For instance how often do you see CSS/DODs or BF2 full of 3 and 400 ping players ?
A hand full maybe, but you will not see it like you do in RO (constantly)

This could make way for the best/biggest international online 1st person shooter ever !
The thought of other 1st person shooters doing this is just rediculous to them, imagine the *****ing and excuses
that CSS players would throw at each other with 1 side having 2-300 pings.
I know it just wouldnt happen !
But with RO we can make it happen, as long as we remain mature and sportsman like, not blaming our pings for losses ect, and taking it all in good sportsmanship
this could work on a wide scale !
1 home and 1 away match would be the fairest option.

How can we help this great game grow ?

I feel we have to unite the communities, local and abroad.
An online chat program where we can all idle each others clan channels ect.
Even if we are not in suitable areas (ping wise) to play one another, getting RO players together is what its all about !
Once we are all conversing on some main stream channels it will all start falling into place, scrims, getting a fill in if you are short for a scrim ect,information/interaction.

I ask if you have a clan to please register an IRC channel !
RTR has an irc channel #righttorebel on GameSurge, the only other RO channel i know of is #redorchestra on GameSurge

If your clan does have an irc channel please list it here so i and others can idle it !

I only feel the community comming together on a whole would benifit us, i hope you guys feel the same way.

ps. soz about my bad grammar and spelling, im a drop out :p

So your premise is that RO has the potential of being huge because you can play with high ping? That is hardly a good recipe for phenomenal success. Either which way, the last thing many of us want is for RO to be a "huge" (as in number of players) success. Keeping the player base in the "moderately healthy" range would probably be the best thing for RO and TW. I dont want to get into a lame debate but I have often observer the direct proportionality between player base and the tendancy to pander to the "lowest common denominator." Not that TW doesnt have the balls to stand up to whining cs kiddies and maintain their purist background. I'm just hoping that the wont have to.

Upvote 0
Either which way, the last thing many of us want is for RO to be a "huge" (as in number of players) success. Keeping the player base in the "moderately healthy" range would probably be the best thing for RO and TW.

What the hell kinda comment is that? I'd like nothing more for RO to quintuple (5 times I think...) in the amount of players. This does a variety of things that can help the game and Tripwire out.

We'd have more servers to choose from, which means we'd have BETTER servers to choose from in terms of ping, our map preference and number of players preference.

There would be a lot more clans, which means a lot more competition for ladders, leagues and public play. CAL would have a good regulated league for the game (they might do it anyways so I have read but I haven't heard about that concept in a while).

Chances are with a larger community there'd be a lot of talent out there and maybe we'd get more custom maps worth playing besides SnowyForest, Koitos, Warsaw and Berezina (I'm sure I missed a couple, plus that's just my OPINION on good custom maps).

What else are the benefits of a larger community? We'd see a lot more media about RO, from flash cartoons to webcomics. Those make a few people laugh from time to time (taking examples from CS community now).

Tripwire would benefit by obviously making more money, and that would further benefit the player as long as TWI doesn't take the EA direction- which I'm pretty sure they're completely against that anyways.

Tripwire would probably hire a couple more very talented people with such a popular game in their hands and who knows how much further they could go with the game with a few more hands on deck and more player demand.

The only real reasons I can see why people DON'T want a bigger community is because they feel secure with their own reputation within the small community. They feel like they have a recognizable name and reputation with all the RO regulars you see in the same servers day to day, and the same goes for the forums. With more players it's harder to be a known figure in the community.

To elaborate I think some people enjoy running into the same people day after day. There's a certain comfort zone in knowing who you're playing and it can be fun playing with people you know and get along with day after day without having to set up a time to play with each other. I personally wouldn't mind seeing new faces in every server. More competition.

To elabortate a little further, a few individuals might be afraid of fiercer competition, either because they are still kinda bad at the game (which is fine by me, as long as they have fun) or if they think they are good but are afraid to be shown up. This is where the "oh I'm not really trying" excuse comes into play. if a player who thinks he's good is getting his ass handed to him it feels good for him to say he's not trying to do good (pure horse ****).

Another reason why people might be afraid of a large community is because there are sure to be a few bad eggs who hack RO and come up with some deadly cheats. This isn't really one of my personal fears, but there's a lot of paranoia with the teenagers in being "cheated."

There are really no other good reasons why we should be afraid to get more people into the RO community. I don't know about you guys, but for me it's "the more the merrier."

Upvote 0
Another reason why people might be afraid of a large community is because there are sure to be a few bad eggs who hack RO and come up with some deadly cheats. This isn't really one of my personal fears, but there's a lot of paranoia with the teenagers in being "cheated."
The other day I saw someone cheating or exploiting, not sure, he was just laying there killing everyone with a rifle taking his time, so me and 8 other guys rush him toss nades ON him then go up and spray multiple magazines and strippers into him then proceeded to bash him as he just typed in chat "lolz" and proceeded to shoot everyone in the face taking his time. He then left the server right after that.

Upvote 0
The other day I saw someone cheating or exploiting, not sure, he was just laying there killing everyone with a rifle taking his time, so me and 8 other guys rush him toss nades ON him then go up and spray multiple magazines and strippers into him then proceeded to bash him as he just typed in chat "lolz" and proceeded to shoot everyone in the face taking his time. He then left the server right after that.

No surpirse there. Cheats are bound to happen.

Does Red Orchestra use SteamIDs to track players, or any other form of ID? With the size the RO community is it wouldn't be hard to get a blacklist going of KNOWN cheats (like 10 or more witnesses).

Upvote 0
I'm all for more people. But the right kind of people. That's not elitism or has anything to do with the 'comfort zone', that's just truth.

No one wants to have to put up with 'OMGWTFBBQPWN!!1!!1!' crowd. A joke about it here and there, fine. English second language, and you find stuff like 'ur' or 'u' easier to deal with? Fine. You're a fourteen year-old native English speaker, have no job, know all the secrets to the world, and can't be arsed to use proper grammar? No thanks.

So yes, let RO grow and prosper that we may all be merry and gay in our gore-fest. But let it be with the right crowd.

Upvote 0
No one wants to have to put up with 'OMGWTFBBQPWN!!1!!1!' crowd.

You really only here comments like that from the people who like fast paced arcade shooters, 12 year old to 18 year old range.

I'm not trying to be stereotypical, but I'm just saying people who enjoy a more realistic game won't dumb down to CS talk.

And even then, I really don't care what the crowd is that we get for RO. As long as that crowd, no matter how they act or talk; enjoys the game, doesn't teamkill, and doesn't cheat, they are fine in my book. You can always mute a player if you don't like how they are treating people.

Upvote 0
Tak, This doesn't mean nothing just my own curiousity and I'm not trying to start anything. How old are you?:)

22, for what it's worth. Though I am quite the grumpy old man minus the old already!

To mbrooksay: Yes, for the most part you're right. All it will take, though, is one. The first one comes over, and finds out how great the gameplay is. Then he goes back to his clan webpage and posts in that bastard child of the internet, 1337 speak, all his experiences and encourages them all to buy it and play. So they do. And most will leave. They'll be turned off by the slower paced gameplay or completely unwilling to accept something as different as ROOST. But those that do, they start in like a cavity on your tooth. Yeah. It's just one little spot, at first. And that spot sits over there on it's own server, slowly gathering more and more like-minded players. Then one day, that one server isn't big enough. There are more than 32 of the assmonkies on at any one given time, and they start to spread out. Of course, they can't stand playing alone, so they begin recruiting again. We're back to the beginning. Oh the horror. I appologize in advance if any of your small children have nightmares because of this tale!

For what it's worth, I enjoy a good lawl or pointless thread now and then just as much as the next guy. And yes, I am aware not all 14 year olds are unemployed know-it-all h4xXorz. I was just getting my thoughts on the issue of the growth of ROOST out there.

Peace and love, hearts n' candies and **** like that :)

Upvote 0
I've recently started playing Red Orchestra again after fearing my near A$50 would be wasted due to a lack of decent populated Infantry only servers in Australia.

Now that I can get a good solid fix on a decent custom map server, my love for the game has begun to increase. I do believe RO has massive potential but after reading dslyecxi's Guides To Tactical Gaming, I feel that RO is just missing the mark in certain areas.

You've probably read them before, but for those who havent, here are the two links that are must reads if you enjoy realism and tactical FPS's (NB. They are littered with embedded Google Videos to explain everything so if reading isn't your thing, just look at the pictures).

http://dslyecxi.com/bestoftactical.html

http://dslyecxi.com/botg_infiltration.html

The second one is a review of an old UT mod called Infiltration which after reading the article, looks to be the premier tactical shooter of all time. And its several years old!

Don't get me wrong. I love RO, I love playing RO (even though I'm noob). I just would always like to see perfection attained. And dslyecxi's guides are the way there.

Personally, my one main gripe is the lack of an ocular focus when sighting the weapons. In layman's terms, a slight zoom dependant on barrel length to simulate focusing through the sights. Seems silly to have your FOV the same at all times, whether you are focusing/sighting your weapon or not. Anyways, I'm sure this has been discussed to death.

Long live Red Orchestra and tactical gaming.

Upvote 0
I really don't care what the crowd is that we get for RO. As long as that crowd, no matter how they act or talk; enjoys the game, doesn't teamkill, and doesn't cheat, they are fine in my book. You can always mute a player if you don't like how they are treating people.

Absolutely, 100%.

Perhaps it's people with blinkered, elitist attitudes that turn otherwise good players off this game and make them leave.

Upvote 0
What do you mean near $50? after US->AU money conversion it works out to $34 at most on a bad trading day. $31 for mine on an average day.
For the money this is undoubtedly the best game around, I have bought 2 copies, one for myself and my second computer (that the GF plays RO on). I have also encouraged 8 or so of my clan members to give it a try (clan based in a different game). And because of the price they jumped at the idea.
What will make this big is when people can see it and realise that its not cheap because its crap (likie some people think) it cheap because its not sould by EA.
The free expansion packs are another issue that should be greatly advertised as people will jump on the game for that reason, with great modding being the thing that will make it last forever.

Upvote 0
I ask if you have a clan to please register an IRC channel !
RTR has an irc channel #righttorebel on GameSurge, the only other RO channel i know of is #redorchestra on GameSurge

If your clan does have an irc channel please list it here so i and others can idle it !

I only feel the community comming together on a whole would benifit us, i hope you guys feel the same way.

Some other RO related IRC channels, on Gamesurge anyhow:

#da -> Defense Alliance TC mod
#marenostrum -> mare nosturm Mod
#ro-leveldesign -> channel for Level Designers and Modders to talk shoppe.
(there are probably some more that I left out.. but my mind is perminately mush..)

Upvote 0
I totally agree with you Fig, especially about the IRC. If we get more RO clans on IRC then we will be able to communicate and interact with each so much better. We would definitely be able to have more multi clan scrimmages that way :) We have done one or two of them and they are a blast.

just for fun try out the roladder irc channel once (about all clans participating in the ladder have their own irc channel).

Because you're on gamesurge by default just add this to your gamesurge autoperform (or type it inside irc)

/server -m irc.quakenet.org -j #roladder

Upvote 0