• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Auto switching one gun for another VERY BAD IDEA

It wasn't necessary before, it was MANDATORY. You had a chance of almost nil to pick up the grenades if they were covered by the ammo from the gun.

I don't have a problem with ammo coming as 1 unit. That is a great addition, but I found with the old system I could do what I wanted to do much quicker than now. Yes picking up weapons skips a step, but its created a whole new problem we didn't have before. I am more careful picking things up, therefore it takes longer to get items. I would rather not have the hassle of making sure I click in just the right place compared to having to press an extra button.

Also i'm not convinced it actually help new players (which was their reason for putting it in) because I watched a new player swapping weapons over and over as he tried to get some grenades. Its more obvious for new players what you have to do, but I think they will find it even more awkward than peeps that have played before

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Click, Click, Click

Click, Click, Click

Exactly the same problems and frustrations as described by DieFledermaus, usually resulting in my characters virtual death whilst contorting, scrolling and whirling around like a field-grey break dancer desperately scrabbling to "click" back my original weapon which with its associated ammo has been involuntarily flung to the floor and replaced during a crucial point in close combat whilst trying to obtain a nade or explosives pack from a recently dispatched oponent.

Agree 100% with DieFledermaus, the weapons pick up needs more work

Upvote 0
Yes, I agree with you on many of those things.

The auto weapon switch was a horrible idea. I always try to pick up nades or a pistol and end up with a new gun in my hands that I don't want. You don't need to be a genius to figure out what button you assigned to "drop weapon." They should just give you a choice between auto and manual pickup.

The thing that bothers me most is the nades though. They are always on top of the damn pistol. The devs need to fix this ASAP. I can never pick up a pistol from a dead guy because his nades are sitting on top of it and I still have 1 or both of my nades left.

Although to be honest, I do like the new ammo pouch thing.
Yeah in my experience so far I basically agree that the pouch idea is good but the auto switching I'm not so sure about. I was USED to the old way just fine, dump your weapon then grab grab grab! What's so hard about that? I usually find myself avoiding picking up things now when in the past I would've cause I don't have time in the heat of battle to play a mini game of trying to access with surgical precision some nades or handgun. If the Devs want to make the game easier to understand & get into without ruining the realism of RO then they should put up tips and explain things during map loads (how about also the correct map image during load too;) Ya!) like "press G to drop your weapon" "press F to pick up guns/ammo/use radio etc" "Press numbers 1-9 to switch positions in vehicles" etc. A little explaining rather than none (really how many are gonna read the manual when they don't even configure their key binds?) would be very helpfull to new players and help ease them into the game better. My whole premise is rather than changing something in an attempt to make it easier for new players why not just explain things better for them so there's no confusion in the first place?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also agree with fledermous,

They tried to appeas the xbox kidies and screwed up the weapon pick up. It was fine as it was. I never had any problems picking up any weapons, ammo or nades.

Now it seems a crap shoot when you try to pick up an item you don't know what you might get.

To make it more amusing they should include a rubber chicken when somebody dies. This would make it at least amusing.

The pouch Idea however is excellent. By all means, we should keep that in. Hope the developers read this.

Upvote 0
Yea and you can use it to hit people with to cause the grenade concussion effect! :D

But back to the topic then, yeah the more I play the more it seems that regardless of where you aim, and what it says on the screen it's going to favor picking up the gun over anything else in the vacinity.

Between this, and the lag, my vote is for rollback :confused:

Upvote 0
You've still missed the point though Red. We don't actually want to pick up the gun. If we did there wouldn't be a problem. Sure, we could autoswitch guns, manually toss the one we don't want away, then grab ours back and pickup the object we originally wanted, but that's more complicated and time consuming than the old system, not to mention being completely pointless and about as unrealistic as you can get.

Upvote 0
You guys do realise you can still voluntarily drop your gun don't you?

To avoid the old auto switcheroo just drop your gun a few steps ahead of the one you're aiming to pick up and shazam it works like a charm.

Well duhhh. Yes we know. Some of us have only been playing this since 1.0.

The problem is that when somebody dies there is usually more than one corpse. And in some places indoors there is limited space to throw your weapon down.

For example: The other night I killed three enemy soldiers. I went to pick up an SMG and kept getting the two bolt guns there instead. The time it took to finally get the SMG (going back and forth) got me killed. With the old system I would have been ready to defend myself with the SMG I just picked up.

Simply put, gameplay wise the old system worked better. The ammo drop was the only really good idea.

Upvote 0