• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So when do we have to start paying for booster packs/updates?

mbrooksay

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2006
Auburn, NY
I remember reading an official thread a while back about how Tripwire is going to continue releasing free booster packs into 2007, but one of the words in there was the word 'free.'

Doesn't this statement mean that pretty soon we gotta give you guys more money for booster packs? Are you going to charge for these updates?

Are these "booster packs" going to be things like a couple new weapons or vehicles, or is it going to be almost a whole new game or campaign where maybe we even get to be Americans? (even though the US doesn't tie in with the Eastern front)

I'd gladly pay for something like an almost entire new game but pay money for new weapons or vehicles? I don't really know about that, but it depends on the price.

It was posted that the update would be free, and it was like a little sarcasm since other companies make people pay for updates.

Tripwire has said that their updates for this game will all be free. You will only have to pay for their next up coming game, which they have not yet started to make.

Lex

Upvote 0
Every update for RO:O will be 100 % absolutly free. That is our current plan at this time.
So it can change at any time.;)

I just wish you guys would leave out the word "free" in the press releases when releasing updates for the game. I like what I see so far when it comes to support but I don't believe in using "free" and patches/updates in the same sentence.

Upvote 0
I dont understand why you guys release new patches. Yoshiro, may you please explain how it helps you guys? It seems like you guys keep giving us amazing free stuff but how do you guys benefit?
For the Goodwill. Goodwill is worth a LOT to a business and by continuously releasing free updates, they not only cement the support of their existing fanbase, but they also draw in new players. Hence, when they eventually bring out their next game they'll already have a whole bunch of people clamouring to buy it, as opposed to Ost where they had only a small existing fanbase (*waves* :D ) and a lot of ground to make up.

Upvote 0
I dont understand why you guys release new patches. Yoshiro, may you please explain how it helps you guys? It seems like you guys keep giving us amazing free stuff but how do you guys benefit?
Someone mentioned "goodwill", which IS worth a lot. Given that you stand no chance of pleasing ALL the people ALL the time (just look through the forums for the "why haven't you fixed xyz yet, you lazy half-arsed barstewards??" threads ;)

There is also another rationale, that we happen to believe in (obviously, or we wouldn't do this, but I like stating the obvious sometimes!). It goes like this:

1. Red Orchestra is primarily an online, multi-player game.
2. People like to play online with other people - lots of them.
3. The more people we can keep playing the game, the more new people will want to play.
4. More new players means more cash and a larger player-base - which means (dun dun DUNNNNN) - even more people will want to buy the game and join in.
5. Continuously adding new content to the game (for free) helps keep people interested, keeps the player numbers up and helps PR.
6. Keeping the numbers up (can you guess where the logic is going??) - means higher player numbers and yet more people will want to join in.
7. Summary: additional content should keep people playing and also lead to new people buying the game. This (should) make the whole thing self-sufficient...

There :) As clear as the poop in a baby's nappy (that is "diaper" to those on the left side of the Atlantic).

Upvote 0