• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hello, I'm new and have ideas!

Hello, I'm new and have ideas!

• Yes

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • The first one, but not the last one

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Only the second one

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Mr. Harms

Sep 19, 2006
Hello, I am new to these forums, I bought this game through steam a while ago and it is great . After playing the game for a long time I've started to notice some things that I think could be made better.

1. The first thing that I want to bring up is that you can't stop reloading or bolting once you've pressed the button to start, this gets a little frustrating sometimes when an enemy pops up when you are bolting your rifle and you can't stick him with your bayonett nor can you run to cover very quickley, a system I think would make this better would be that when the player rapidly double-clicks the primary or secondary fire button the bolting/reloading will abort wherever it is so that the player can fight back or get the heck out of there, you could make it so you might drop a clip/magazine in the process (if you are relaoding) to add some more realism to it.

2. This next idea regards clicking again to bolt your rifle, I think the whole idea behind it was to add more realism so that a player can forget to bolt and then think his rifle's bolted when it's not, but I don't think (and some poeple would agree with me) that people ever end up bolting thier rifle when they tell thier finger to pull the trigger to shoot an enemy, nor do I think that useing the same button to bolt that you do to fire is very realistic, so I was thinking about it and I decided that the 'action' button would be a good candidate to be used to bolt, this way you keep the same amount of buttons and abilities while makeing things more realistic.

EDIT: 3. Grenades (or any hard object for that matter) make sound when they hit solid objects, but in Red Orchestra they don't, they are completely silent, like some sort of super stealth grenades or something. I suggest to put some hitting sounds for the grenades.

EDIT: 4. Stances, I don't know about anyone else but I love the "stance-down, stance-up" system, it works very smooth and it only requires two inputs as opposed to three, I (and I'm sure lots of other people) would love Red Orchestra that much more if you would implement the stance-down, stance-up system into it. Also I would like to address the prone postition in Red Orchestra, I play airsoft and I have been in prone position, you probabley have at most a foot radius of free movement untill you have to re-adjest your entire body, In Red Orchestra you can rotate on your stomach without moveing a muscle, it's like the guys are telikenetic
or something, It's creepy :rolleyes:. America's Army and CoD II did a good job with prone postions, I suggest a system similar to them.

this is all of course asuming that you want Red Orcestra to be more realistic for that seems to be your intent from looking at the game in the first place :p. I seem to have forgotten some of my other ideas in the process of typeing this but I will edit or post later if I remember. I want to talk to a Dev or someone official about this, so if you arn't someone like that and want to agree/disagree with my ideas please vote in the poll, but if you want to add a suggestion or soemthing feel free to post, thanks.

And everyone please, don't get offended and flame me, I am only giving out my ideas, I don't expect the devs to put these things in, and I don't want people to be mislead by this post. I am a person trying to contribute to a game that I really adore and love. Please understand this.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, the only really new idea you've proposed is that if and when a reload action is interrupted, you drop the clip you were in the process of loading - a nice touch imo, although I don't know how well it would work with the new ammo drop system.

Welcome to the forums, nice to hear your take on the reload interrupt topic, but next time search to see if there's a thread already going on the topic :)

Upvote 0
We don't know because of your "wall of text." It's hard to read.

oh come on I've posted things twice the size of that, if you can't even read the main post completely don't even bother posting in the thread it shows that you don't really have enough respect for the starter to try and see what he/she is really saying, well that's what I think, I might be being too harsh but how the heck can I help you if you won't even read the dang post? Seriously. Do you want me to space it out for you? I'll to that.

As far as I can tell, the only really new idea you've proposed is that if and when a reload action is interrupted, you drop the clip you were in the process of loading - a nice touch imo, although I don't know how well it would work with the new ammo drop system.

Welcome to the forums, nice to hear your take on the reload interrupt topic, but next time search to see if there's a thread already going on the topic :)

Thanks, I will search harder later for related topics. Nice to see soemone read my post :rolleyes:!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first thing that I want to bring up is that you can't stop reloading or bolting once you've pressed the button to start, this gets a little frustrating sometimes when an enemy pops up when you are bolting your rifle and you can't stick him with your bayonett nor can you run to cover very quickley, a system I think would make this better would be that when the player rapidly double-clicks the primary or secondary fire button the bolting/reloading will abort wherever it is so that the player can fight back or get the heck out of there, you could make it so you might drop a clip/magazine in the process (if you are relaoding) to add some more realism to it.

My take on this is that if you're a sniper, and you're doing your class' role, you shouldn't be in a position where you're busy reloading under direct fire. Snipers are soldiers given the privilage to have a telescopic scope mounted on their rifle, they aren't supposed to be rushing in the frontal assault with the other grunts. The only situation I can agree this would be useful in, is if someone discovers your location and sneaks up on you when you aren't ready. Sure it would be faster to just load a new round when you needed it, but like I said, snipers are soldiers who kill behind the scenes not up-close and personal.

This next idea regards clicking again to bolt your rifle, I think the whole idea behind it was to add more realism so that a player can forget to bolt and then think his rifle's bolted when it's not, but I don't think (and some poeple would agree with me) that people ever end up bolting thier rifle when they tell thier finger to pull the trigger to shoot an enemy, nor do I think that useing the same button to bolt that you do to fire is very realistic, so I was thinking about it and I decided that the 'action' button would be a good candidate to be used to bolt, this way you keep the same amount of buttons and abilities while makeing things more realistic.
The reason riflemen were given the ability to manually bolt their rifles was because of the reasons you gave about the sniper, not because they might forget. They need this ability because they're the ones directly supporting the assault. The mod version of RO didn't have this feature, and many people were killed because of it.

And everyone please, don't get offended and flame me, I am only giving out my ideas, I don't expect the devs to put these things in, and I don't want people to be mislead by this post. I am a person trying to contribute to a game that I really adore and love. Please understand this.
Don't worry about it, you make good points. It's understandable that a sniper would get caught in bad situations without being able to load manually. It's just that their class isn't one that should be in a scenario where he would need to load one round at a time, that's the rifleman's job. I just feel if snipers were given that ability they would basically be able to follow the assault and kill more efficiently than the riflemen.

Also, don't forget the semi-automatic rifles are also available to snipers on some maps. :)

Upvote 0
First of all I think its good to see that people that are new to the game feel when something is wrong and write about it, even though its been written before.
When People think something is wrong, they will keep posting the same thing for a while, if nothing is done with it, they either change to a game that fullfill their needs, or they learn to accept it as a part of the game.

For me, its simple, I search for a game that gives me the positibillities and limitations that I would have had in real life.
If a game having theese feats are being published I will move on and play this game and never look back...

Regarding reloads, I think the argument of being safe before reloading is misplaced.... Why?
- Cause being safe is a luxoury!! Nobdoy is safe in war!
The enemy is allways trying to flank and outsmart you, so you must be ready at ANY time to abort an action, and do something else..

Example:
You are situated in a trench.
Being supressed by an MG, you want to circle around and flank it.
You run towards it's right flank, but suddently you are obstructed by a rifle team at your intended path.
Instantly you have to abort the flanking action and deal with the rifle team = new situation.
You emty a mag to supress them and start to reload at the spot, cause no freedom to move.
At a sudden an enemy SMG soldier storm at you at close distance in mids of your reload.
Instantly you abort the reloading, loosing the magazine to the ground,and swiftly stab him with the bayo......
You pick up your lost magazine, and continue the reload to deal with the rifles again.
------------------------------------------
In RO as it is now, you would have been dead, cause there was no room for safe reload.
Ive been killed many many times in this kinda situation, and It's going on my nerves...
Some would argument:
But Rifles should stay back and not engage in close combat....
This is correct on PAPER, but in RO, sometimes the SMG soldiers are just running around doing nothing, so who is going to engage the CApzones?..... Yes...
Me with a boltaction!
-----------------------------------------------
I posted a long time ago, asking the Devs what their priorites are and which ideas they consider as valid, and which one they will never implement in the future... But still no answer :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My take on this is that if you're a sniper, and you're doing your class' role, you shouldn't be in a position where you're busy reloading under direct fire. Snipers are soldiers given the privilage to have a telescopic scope mounted on their rifle, they aren't supposed to be rushing in the frontal assault with the other grunts. The only situation I can agree this would be useful in, is if someone discovers your location and sneaks up on you when you aren't ready. Sure it would be faster to just load a new round when you needed it, but like I said, snipers are soldiers who kill behind the scenes not up-close and personal.

The reason riflemen were given the ability to manually bolt their rifles was because of the reasons you gave about the sniper, not because they might forget. They need this ability because they're the ones directly supporting the assault. The mod version of RO didn't have this feature, and many people were killed because of it.

Don't worry about it, you make good points. It's understandable that a sniper would get caught in bad situations without being able to load manually. It's just that their class isn't one that should be in a scenario where he would need to load one round at a time, that's the rifleman's job. I just feel if snipers were given that ability they would basically be able to follow the assault and kill more efficiently than the riflemen.

Also, don't forget the semi-automatic rifles are also available to snipers on some maps. :)

It doesn't matter wether you are a sniper, or an smg, no one is going to keep thier focus on reloading thier gun when an enemy pops up right in front of them, they are going to fight with melee, pull out thier pistol, or run out of there, and you can't do any of these things once you've press the button to attend your gun.

Upvote 0
If you really need to stop reloading, you can toss your weapon, which wont allow you to melee but you can still run away.

As for bolting, the ability to choose when to rechamber allows you to take cover before doing the process.

yes but is that realistic? After playing for a while you get into the habit of bolting your rifle the moment you shoot, and real soldiers do the same thing, but there is a difference; real soldiers can stop bolting their rifle at any time they want and run away, pull out their pistol, or use their bayonett, they don't have to throw their weapon down to do so, that would be ridiculous!
Wouldn't it?

PS: I have edited my main post at the top with two more suggestions

Last edited:
Upvote 0
{clip}

This is exactly the answer that pisses me off about the reloading shells issue. What you're saying is that the game is so realistic that you're not even supposed to be seen by the enemy, but not realistic enough to allow you to stop putting bullets the gun when you get jumped? I'm sorry, I don't buy that.

TW should just realize that this is a wanted, realistic feature that everyone would love, instead of pissing it off as fanboi groaning.

Upvote 0
Well, imagine if they could do manual reloading. Do you think that player will be more inclined to do his role, or follow the assault since he's basically a rifleman with a scope? I'm just looking at it from a balance/class standpoint. I would rather have our team's sniper covering my back from a long distance than having him at my side racking up kills because he can see farther.

Upvote 0
1. Nobody likes being forced to play a certain way because the designers thought that's how you should play it. Especially when the forcing in unrealistic.

2. There's no snipers in this game. They're definitely more of a designated marksman role. Actual snipers crawl through bushes for hours before spotting a leader with the help of his binocular equipped friend, takes his shot, and leaves. The "sniper" role in this game is to either a, provide accurate, ground denying fire if defending, or b, act as a counter sniper and get those guys of the windows.

Real snipers would stop reloading if they heard someone sneaking up on them. Making someone either drop their weapon to cancel the reload or get up and run is not fun at all, and if fun isn't what we're shooting for here, then we're on the wrong track.

Upvote 0
If thats hard to read i think someone needs to go back to grade school. Its not like hes writing for the local paper or something its just a forum to get the point of his ideas across.

I do like the idea of being able to stop bolting or reloading or whatever to go into melee. it would only make sence. even if you drop the ammo your loading it would work.

I also think nades hitting the ground should make a sound. A thump in the dirt or grass at the very least and a nice metal on rock sound would be good for other surfaces. It needs some sort of sound thats for sure. If it does already have one i havnt ever heard it.

Upvote 0