• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Remake Berlin

The old Berlin map had some potential to be a really, really great map. It had some unfinished roads and buildings that lead behind the Reichstag that could be finished, making it a larger map. It could be a scenario where the Russians actually fight to capture the building rather than the area around it.

Upvote 0
I allways thought it would be neat to make a continuation of that map.

What I mean is make another map of the battle INSIDE the reichstag, where (of course) the Russians are attacking and the Germans are defending, there could be an objective in an important room on each floor.

Just throwing the idea out.

As for origional maps, I think a LOT of them could have a really successful place in the new RO.

Upvote 0
I allways thought it would be neat to make a continuation of that map.

What I mean is make another map of the battle INSIDE the reichstag, where (of course) the Russians are attacking and the Germans are defending, there could be an objective in an important room on each floor.

Just throwing the idea out.

As for origional maps, I think a LOT of them could have a really successful place in the new RO.

The problem was the community liked those maps too much so all they did was play the maps they liked most. The devs and some others began to hate those maps because they looked ugly and were played too much. SO the maps the community liked most didn't make it to the official game. Just check the original rostats site and look howmany times every map was played. Maps that were hardly played like hedgehog, baksanvalley etc did make it to ostfront.

Upvote 0
The problem was the community liked those maps too much so all they did was play the maps they liked most. The devs and some others began to hate those maps because they looked ugly and were played too much. SO the maps the community liked most didn't make it to the official game. Just check the original rostats site and look howmany times every map was played. Maps that were hardly played like hedgehog, baksanvalley etc did make it to ostfront.

Keeps me wondering why nobody took it upon himself to port it (Berlin) still then? :s

Upvote 0
Konigsplatz for me is def not a remake of Berlin :p
Maps like Berlin don't become bad maps become a new version of the game is released. That map was exteremly popular for both public and clan matches and there is no reason why it wouldnt have the same affect for the new audience.
But anyway, this could end up turning into a rant how I want some of the older maps back :p

Upvote 0
platz is a "remake" of berlin its not a "port" of berlin. But anyway i was just being a smart arse :p. I really dont understand everyones love/fascination of berlin. 8 out of 10 times it would turn into a mass spawn exit camp by the axis so really the gameplay was pretty average when compared to kessel, kransyi, jucha. Agreed it was better than some mod maps but i still hold no love for it!

Upvote 0
I think the problem with porting is the static meshes for this map.
I kno at least 2 guys have had a look at the map but all the building faces require rebuilding.
I would love to play berlin again, as well as one or two others that I spent far too many hours on :)

The static meshes should be moved into mylevel in the mod version, and then the map can be ported without a problem taking the static meshes to the port in the mylevel package. Another solution would be to rebuild the static mesh facades in BSP, shouldnt be too hard since the static meshes were simple shapes to begin with.

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by {Core}Steven
I think the problem with porting is the static meshes for this map.
I kno at least 2 guys have had a look at the map but all the building faces require rebuilding.
I would love to play berlin again, as well as one or two others that I spent far too many hours on :)

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

The static meshes should be moved into mylevel in the mod version, and then the map can be ported without a problem taking the static meshes to the port in the mylevel package. Another solution would be to rebuild the static mesh facades in BSP, shouldnt be too hard since the static meshes were simple shapes to begin with.

How do you move an item from one package to another?

Upvote 0
id guess put right click on the static mesh >convert>to static mesh and save it in your mylevel folder whatdo you do then Sas? while porting i would copy and paste over to the retail SDK

is there another way of doing it? ie. saving the mod map as a .rom?

I'd prefer someone making Berlin better then the mod version and put some deccent work in it, rethinking objectives and objective sizes and layouts first and formost, but if you want to be lazy ;) it goes as follows basically.

You need to have the mod installed. Open up the Berlin map in the MOD editor. Delete ALL gameplay actors (spawns, objectives, player roles etc etc.) The map is fairly old, so it should not be too complicated actor wise. You will need to end up with a map that ONLY has static meshes, textures and BSP (plus zoneinfo's).

When you have done this, open up the static mesh browser. Look for the packages that hold the static meshes from berlin. Now, in the static mesh browser, select the mesh you need to move and dio a 'rename' where you ONLY rename the packagename into 'mylevel'. You have to do that for ALL static meshes used in the map.
I used groups, in which i added the converted meshes, and hid those groups. That way i could easily see which meshes were still old school, which made the task easier as I progressed converting some of the maps.

DO NOT SAVE MYLEVEL AS A PACKAGE!!!!!!!!!!!! Never ever! It resides IN the mapfile and will be saved INSIDE the map. There is no need ever to save mylevel on your harddrive. If you do you will run a big chance of ruining the map entirely and you will NOT be able to open up the map ever again!

After you completed that, you will HAVE to do the same for all textures in the map as well.

Now, save a copy of your map as RO-Berlin_Port.ROM or something. In your OS, manually copy that map from the MOD directory to your Ostfront directory.

Start the Ostfront editor, and open up your new RO-Berlin_port map. If you did everything well, it will open up fine. You should then proceed to add new spawns and objectives, a new level info and what not to the map.

If the Ostfront editor crashes on your map, you still have MOD gameplay actors in it. You then have to go back to the MOD editor, and find the remaining ones and delete them, resave, copy the map to Ostfront and try to open it again with the Ostfront editor.

If your map opens up fine in the Ostfront editor and you added new spawns etc, but the game won't load it, there's a big chance you have textures or static meshes in the map that aren't in Ostfront anymore AND are not copied into your mylevel part of the map.

Upvote 0