• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Note to Server Hosts

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
A note to all server hosts about the maps that you have on your servers, this goes moreso towards in infantry only with custom map servers.

you guys have to watch what kind of maps you are putting onto your servers, some of them boheme paradise for example have horidable gameplay, and are also on an environment that makes you think your playing unreal tournament. so basically the two things i want to stress to server hosts is to grade a map by these standards

1: does the environment look realistic to a ww2 battlefield.

2:does it look like an imballanced map (ie objs closer to one teams spawn meening the other team looses all the time)

3: lastley, it would be nice if your server admins would pop into the server while its playing some of the newer custom maps and get some playerfeedback; i know some of the maps currentely on the rtr and nano servers deserve to be deleted post haste.

Disclaimer: i do not in any way wish to bash people who make their own maps, i do some of that kind of work myself, i know its a long process: i just want maps that make people scream and want to rip their hair out gone forever.

your thoughts?

I like how 80% of the custom urban maps I have played look like they have been the victim of five atomic bombs (great example would be stalingradelevator). You know, the maps with out no grass, the whole ground is just repeat rubble.

Love it.

Me and my friend have a server and we usually play a few good custom maps like Eintweichen (the pistols only map), RoadtoHill...

Upvote 0
The [5.SS] do this. all of these, we are realism and we want maps based on realism too! But HerrHut plays the maps and decides if it's unbalanced he goes in and changes the map to make it more balanced, like we have an Orelvs.76 (whatever) 5.SS map (it went through like 3 or 4 betas:p ). We usually always have an admin on from 6pm EST - 12am EST. Seen u on our server a lot Colt.45. nice to see you.

Upvote 0
The only maps I can think of that really really **** are:

1) That map with the snowy forest, the river in the middle, and the three bunkers. The mapper could've at least added some distance fog and made the lighting in that building bearable before realising it. It really needs some polishing before being released as even a beta.

2) That one dark-ish bunker map. It wouldn't be so horrible if it wasn't for the fact that the Russians have unlimited sniper roles.

No offense to any mappers. I appreciate your efforts, but try fixing a few fundamental things before releasing beta 7 or whatever.

Upvote 0
1) That map with the snowy forest, the river in the middle, and the three bunkers. The mapper could've at least added some distance fog and made the lighting in that building bearable before realising it. It really needs some polishing before being released as even a beta.

You bastard! Thats my map :p. I understand tula isnt everyones cup of tea (especially the newer players). I get comments from the clan members saying they love the long view distance and the challenge of it all. Then i get others saying its impossible for one side (both axis and allies is apparently impossible to win :cool:) yet whenever i join the side complaining they cant win the map magicaly becomes winnable for this side! Go figure :rolleyes:.

Anyway rant over. Everything that is in the map has been like that for a reason. I wanted the bunker to be dark, i wanted long view distance (i didnt want low fps but thats another story!), I wanted it to be hard to assault requiring teamwork (snipers shooting, mgs covering fire, smgs rushing) but apparently not many other people wanted that :p.

Ok now the rant really is over. It was my first "proper" map and is rough around the edges as a lot of it was teaching myself as i went along and in fairness its half of what i hoped it would/could be due to my lack of knowledge and not having a very good plan. But hey you live and learn.

Upvote 0
The [5.SS] do this. all of these, we are realism and we want maps based on realism too! But HerrHut plays the maps and decides if it's unbalanced he goes in and changes the map to make it more balanced, like we have an Orelvs.76 (whatever) 5.SS map (it went through like 3 or 4 betas:p ). We usually always have an admin on from 6pm EST - 12am EST. Seen u on our server a lot Colt.45. nice to see you.

meh, i tried the 5.ss server again today, thats the last time i play on 5.ss in a looooooooong time. there were like 5 or 6 5.ss clan guys there (all on german team cept for herhut who was ruskie) and the teams were stacked gerries 17 ruskies 13. i was asking nicely for people to even out the teams, but nobody was budging so finally i said " its kinda funny how theres team stacking going on here and 5.ss guys arent doing a dang thing about it..."

srry i just really hate playing on servers where the clan appears to be a-ok with team stacking .. i flippin hate team stackers...

Upvote 0
With all due respect Colt .45,

Sometimes one has to take into account what other factors are in play before jumping into a conclusion that is seemingly reasonable. There could be a possibility that the Axis team really was doing horribly that they need all the help that they can get. Sometimes, if you'd notice, the stacked team actually does worse by losing a lot of reinforcements due to rambo-action players. All I am saying is that we try and use our best judgement to ensure a fair game play that sometimes seemingly contradict commonly accepted notion of equal numbers; for example, unbalanced NUMBER of players due to the actual capabilities of the two sides. In my reasoning, balanced numbers doesn't always equate fair gameplay. And for me personally, I always love a challenge when I am fighting a few men down like a handycap, it sometimes makes the gameplay even more intense.

One side note, if you'd noticed, some mutators don't let you see the opposing team's player ranks (or class they picked). So sometimes you have 13 vs. 17 from bringing up F1, while 4 players on the 17's side haven't actually picked a class thus AFK, so there are really 13 vs. 13 in game if you look in ESC. Perhaps you already know this, but some people don't, so consider this a friendly reminder.

And thank you for bringing up your concern and for your time reading this explanation.

[5.SS] Karlssen

Upvote 0
I also have a problem with half assed maps, but they seem to slowly get filtered out on most servers anyway. You just have to avoid them and be patient.

What I still don't get is why so many server still host betas while the final maps are released. Snowy forest/ Kurlandkessel being the worst case of this.

Upvote 0
The problem is not so much the maps, most show potential, only a few are terrible ideas, its that most of them are Beta's, sometimes early Beta's, and as such lack refinement in both looks and gameplay.

This is both good and bad though, good in that the mappers have a chance to have their maps tested, bad in that players aren't allways in the mood to betatest, and its hard for the mappers to get direct feedback.

Another problem, ofcourse, is that third parties tend to fiddle with the maps, changing them in various ways, all to often with a game-breaking bias.. thats not good.

Upvote 0
all wars r unbalanced. people [generals etc.] spemd their whole life planning to make them this way. that's how u win.

POINT 1; we can't rely on people to swap. they like winning. [i don't i love pawning the winning team:)]

POINT 2; to favor a better balance, the automatic team change should be configured to pick a ****y player on the smaller team if it happens to be in front and the last player joined if it is loosing.

I'M NOT SURE WHY THIS IS TURNING INTO POLITICAL ROCKET SCIENCE. :(

to be honest i consider this and the default team selection to be BUGS. i think i remember saying that about 6 months ago. but meh whatever i got nothin better to do.

Upvote 0
i can't beleive i got sensored. if i can't say that how do i **** a straw?. or the air **** into a fire?. or how do i get ****ed into a firefight? how does a piglet get milk if it can't ****le from it's mother??
or how do i tell u guys about that beautiful honey****le flower i saw today?
that's all i got sorry. anyone else?

Upvote 0
I haven't been to a server where Map Voting is disabled yet - so the majority of people will pick the map they want to play...and I think people can create any type of enviornment map they want, there are no rules that RO servers will only run the most realistic WW II maps ever created...not everybody that plays this game is some kind of WWII history buff.

I personally like seeing the new maps - I appreciate the efforts of the community.

BM

Upvote 0