• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The SVT-40

There were 1.6 million SVT-40's produced, vs. about 500,000 Ge 41/43 (total).
It was not that rare.
It *is* rare when compared to the number of bolt-action rifles produced in the USSR during the war, or even the number of PPSh SMG's, but it is still way above the number of semi-automatic rifles that Germany produced. I think the current ratios of semi-auto to bolt-action weapons is pretty good, especially considering the recoil on semi-auto rifles. I personally usually prefer a bolt-action rifle anyway, because the semi-autos are a bit difficult to aim and offer only a dubious advantage in close combat.
The Ge 41, however, was quite rare. Only about 20,000 weapons total were produced (of both versions combined), of which about 10% were not actually used because they were not delivered in usable condition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i, like many others, dont really see the point of this post. on the one hand, if you want a captured russian weapon, capture it! its really not that hard and hey, you will be playing as a historically accurate german soldier!

loadouts are all determined by the maps anyway, not hard coded into the game, so an "official" response to this is not likely to be a sweeping overhaul. i can see how some people would be annoyed by the "do it yourself" suggestions--which can sometimes be counterproductive--but the other approach would be to petition some custom mappers to make some maps where the germans get some russian weapons in their loadout. in a custom map i made for the mod, i gave the german assault troopers ppsh's along with their mp40's. they werent quite as popular as i had thought...

another issue is being identified on the battlefield. just the other day, one of my russian team mates was behind the lines using a captured g43. he was largely concealed and started firing in my direction. well, what can i say, i popped his little hat off with my dp28 and surprise!! i was visited by a resounding "WTF!!" there is something to be said for knowing who your enemy is, and at the pixel level, uniforms just dont do it sometimes.

as for rare weapons, i think the philosophy behind this was "why make a new gun and only feature on %10 of the maps?" while we could debate the value of adding a rare weapon if its going to be way over-implemented until we are blue in the face, why dont we just take it positively and enjoy the fact that RO players have access to weapons that have not been featured in any other game?

Upvote 0
127,000 G41 (Walther) were made. That isn't exactly rare.

for an army with more then 4 million soldiers and that 15% of that rifles (not totally sure, thats just what i have read about the G41) havnt worked right, it becomes somewhat rare and was probably not very common on the front line. Though, it was much more common then any FG42 and probably Mp41.

Upvote 0
No, I believe you are off by about a factor of 10, although I would love to know where you got that number.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?p=158822#post158822

From farther on in that thread:

"You're missing a critical point. Your production figures for the G41(M) and G41(W) are spot on. What you're neglecting are rifles marked solely "G41"

Any designation with a parenthetical suffix after it was a pre-production, evaluation model. In this case, the "(M)" and "(W)" were merely meant to distinguish one G41 model from the other until the Mauser model was discontinued. After the Walther model won the contract and began serial production, the "(W)" suffix was dropped leaving rifles to be marked only "G41"

When I spoke of 90,000-110,000 units and production continuing into 1944, I was and am referring to "G41" marked rifles."

Gewehr 43 knows his stuff about the G41 and G43, so take it up with him. ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I went to the site and looked at the figures, still, it doesn't seem to make too much sense that they went on producing them even when it was proven to be a poor weapon...but figures are figures and given the state of the German war industry it's likely they continued production; I was simply under the impression that a fair deal of those numbers were miscounted G43s.

Upvote 0
You guys forgot the Karabiner 43 which was made in 1944-1945. It was pretty similar to the Gewehr 43 except with some minor changes the most notable was having a shortened barrel on some verisons.
The SVT-40 scoped verison shouldnt be seen after the early war.The unscoped model should be around but in small numbers nothing like the numbers of their Nagant models or even their PPSH-41's.1-3 per map Id say and some maps without it.

Upvote 0