• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG suggestions.

And as for the accuracy and power of the machine gun; that's a skill you have to LEARN. The machine gun will not kill people for you; you have to kill people with your machine gun.

where is there skill, when the person, you have in IS, does not die ?

and i heard now several times, that somewhat is wrong with the aiming point of the MG. And the recoil, is as mentioned now to death ... ridiculous. We talk here about close ranges! Usual ranges mgs killed people have been much further then in game!

We shoud not forget, that this game represent not real war conditions. If this woud be so. 90% of all tank fights woud take place on minimum 1000m, and most usual infantry fights on maybe 200 (max, averange distance was 300m), and infantry maps shoud have the minimum size of Arad. Thats the truth. Urban battles like Stalingrad, or Berlin, are in a War exceptions, and even there, you can have big distances as well. It has a reason, why snipers AND mgs, are the most feared weapons for infantrymen.

i do not know, why its so hard to see, that mgs are from there accuracy and recoil, compared to the real counterparts, not working right. Documents, videos AND real experience from people here, that had chance to use this weapons very extensively, told that they do not work right. And i realy see no reason, from a developers point of view, why it shoud not be possible to change the recoil to a more "realistic" one, and giving them a better accuracy, at leats for short burst. (and of course, changing the aimpoint, if it is realy not working right!)

i can bet, if there woud be a similar problem, with bolt rifles, this woud be changed as fast as possible. And i can rember times, where people spamed the forum to death, in the mod times, when people complained, there gun woud not hit, even with the target in iron sight, but there as well, some did not believed it "its evrything alright, for them, so it has to be working perfect". The restult, was, that the weapons had a bug, with there recoil, which has let the shoot come out AFTER the recoil. But the weapons though worked perfect ... of course.

Upvote 0
where is there skill, when the person, you have in IS, does not die ?

and i heard now several times, that somewhat is wrong with the aiming point of the MG. And the recoil, is as mentioned now to death ... ridiculous. We talk here about close ranges! Usual ranges mgs killed people have been much further then in game!

We shoud not forget, that this game represent not real war conditions. If this woud be so. 90% of all tank fights woud take place on minimum 1000m, and most usual infantry fights on maybe 200 (max, averange distance was 300m), and infantry maps shoud have the minimum size of Arad. Thats the truth. Urban battles like Stalingrad, or Berlin, are in a War exceptions, and even there, you can have big distances as well. It has a reason, why snipers AND mgs, are the most feared weapons for infantrymen.

i do not know, why its so hard to see, that mgs are from there accuracy and recoil, compared to the real counterparts, not working right. Documents, videos AND real experience from people here, that had chance to use this weapons very extensively, told that they do not work right. And i realy see no reason, from a developers point of view, why it shoud not be possible to change the recoil to a more "realistic" one, and giving them a better accuracy, at leats for short burst. (and of course, changing the aimpoint, if it is realy not working right!)

i can bet, if there woud be a similar problem, with bolt rifles, this woud be changed as fast as possible. And i can rember times, where people spamed the forum to death, in the mod times, when people complained, there gun woud not hit, even with the target in iron sight, but there as well, some did not believed it "its evrything alright, for them, so it has to be working perfect". The restult, was, that the weapons had a bug, with there recoil, which has let the shoot come out AFTER the recoil. But the weapons though worked perfect ... of course.
ooo I am so pissed I just got done with a game of hedghog with the mg42. The accuracy and recoil are absolute ****! Me and a damn ptrd gunner where exchangeing fire at about 150 yards he outshot me! I tried everything short bursts long bursts full auto all diffent places with the IS and he accualy picked off my head and he was prone. That is realy realy wrong. I was also picked off by an smg at a distance of about 50 yards! I am by no means a bad shot if you put the IS on somone at that distance and pull the trigger they should die no way around that.

Upvote 0
Yep another case to prove mgs are broken. On konigsplatz I was a mger and was setup on a piece of rumble. Along comes a russian maybe 75 yards away I put the IS on him fire and of course the mg misses. He prones crawls up to the crest of the hill I am watching him do this once he is exposed I fire multible shots short long and of course the mgs are busted so I miss and he picks me off with his rifle. Now would this happen in real life no in real life I would have hit him the first time and he would not have been able to pick me off because of suppresion and I would have also hit him there to. Long story short mgs **** they are a liability more than a weapon. Devs please fix this at least do some testing and watch how you will get owned by rifles all the time every time. Thanks.|EDIT| Yep I just tested the aimpoint bug and yes what truman says is true about the aimpoint low and to the left. Well no more mgs for me I'm sticking to picking them off with my rifle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I figured this was worth a bump.

After about a week of futzing around with the German MGs, I have to say that they are indeed excellent weapons in this game--the MG42 in particular. All that one needs to do is learn how the gun was designed to be used. Germany came out of the First World War convinced that the machine gun was the major firepower behind infantry squads. They determined that you have less than 2-3 seconds to fire upon an enemy before they all take cover. Therefore, you need to be able to provide the largest volume of fire in the shortest amount of time. Enter the MG42 firing 1200rpm--that's 20 rounds per second. It's firing a powerful round faster than anyone can actually distinguish the seperate sounds between each round being fired. Recoil is naturally intense. However, it is simple to control. All you must do is simply TAP your mouse to fire. Just one tap. That's 20 rounds, and they're accurate to about 700m in my experience in game. Tap the mouse. Remember to adjust your aim for longer ranges. There is significant drop at longer ranges.

Good MG'ers tip: With the MG42, you'll want to change your barrel after about 5-6 taps. The Germans recommended the barrel be changed after 100 rounds--that's the equivalent of 5 taps. Coincidence?

Upvote 0
JUst remove damn tracers. We can see where it hits without them. Right now it gives out your position. No real purpose.

They would be ok, if they were visible from the rear only, in a cone of maybe 30-40degrees - as the tracer is in the rear of the projectile. Then you would see it, your teammates around you would see where the fire is going, but the enemy would see nothing, but the ricochets maybe
(the enemy could see tracers if they were watching flight of rounds after they flew over their heads :) )

Isn't it a very simple modification ? To reduce the cone of tracer light ?

P.S. OK, just done my homework and learned that ordinary MG tracers were in fact visible from almost every direction, though not as bright as from the front. The pyrotechnic material was at the base of projectile, but the bullet left a trail of burning particles that could be visible from the sides and maybe even a little from the front. So MG tracers where clearly visible from the rear hemisphere, day or night, in the front hemisphere they would be good visible in the night and probably still a bit during a day. From dead front (so target perspective) where the shell body shields the burning material and much of the trail, I think they wouldn't be very visible during a day. But in a night even a little light would be still visible easily, and while flying overhead they would be very bright.

(on the other hand tracers of tank main gun rouns of 75-122mm calibres, should leave much less trail and shield the light to be visible only from the rear and maybe from the side - in the night)

So the tracer could be made less bright when looking from the front hemisphere, but still visible.

Now to overcome this shortcomings of instant burning tracers, that revealed the firing position immediately, in the night they lit the whole area around the MG position...

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2107.html

So the delayed tracers were made that lit only after flying first 100 yards or so. This kind of tracer could be modeled in RO maybe... but I'm not sure if they were available during WW2 already...

The most realistic solution would be probably to let choose ammo type (with tracers or withouts) for MG gunner at the start.

P.S.2. I'll still read about German tracers being red...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I figured this was worth a bump.

After about a week of futzing around with the German MGs, I have to say that they are indeed excellent weapons in this game--the MG42 in particular. All that one needs to do is learn how the gun was designed to be used. Recoil is naturally intense. However, it is simple to control. All you must do is simply TAP your mouse to fire. Just one tap. That's 20 rounds, and they're accurate to about 700m in my experience in game. Tap the mouse. Remember to adjust your aim for longer ranges. There is significant drop at longer ranges.

I have done everything you have, multiple times, to no avail. I always do short bursts of fire, compensate for drop (having played RO for a few years, I am not new to the system) and the MG-42's rounds always dance around my target. Machine guns are worthless in this game. They are simply not match for pop shooters since they present themselves as a fixed target, nor can they accurately match a rifleman of the same skill at any given distance over 100m. This is the result of both what seems to be a cone of fire or improper aimpoint on the machine guns, as well as suppressive fire (which is what a machinegun's purpose in a squad is) having no meaning in this game.

It's real easy to say "there's no problem" after playing for a week, but the problem with the '42 has existed since its introduction. The same goes for the lack of effectiveness of machineguns since Mod.

As far as tracers go, I'd think realism would be whatever a soldier would want to carry on him through what was available. It'd be a pretty cool feature to allow machinegunners to choose a different ammo loadout as far as tracers go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
German MGs

German MGs

Some of you complain about the recoil of the German machineguns. I did that, too, when I started playing Ostfront, but after I have played some time as a machinegunner, I got used to the recoil.
The only off thing is where it aims at, sometimes you shoot lower (as if the recoil would push the MG down) or maybe it just looks like it... I then simply look at the tracers and can fire accurately. You can be really deadly as machinegunner if you know how the beast handles.

My Grandpa, who had some LMG42 and SMG42 under his command even said, that if you shot it from the bipod, the weapon started to lift off after a short burst.
On the other hand he said, that a barrel change was only done after about 200 rounds, while in RO:O you have to change after 70-90 rounds of rapid fire... this is the only thing that really bothers me about the MG42.

Upvote 0
it has been discussed all more then one time, evryone gave his point (very good one from venkman, to speak so) now several times. I realy hope there will be changes for it in future realeses, but i hardly doubt so, as there are so many flaws, that need to be changed and fixed that there are probably more then one patch needed, maybe one for infantry related things and one for tanks only ? I dont know.

I only know, i like to play with mgs, and cause i like to do it and have my knowledge of how they have been used in real life it becomes frustrating to get killed by a riflemen over and over again, even when you have him in your sight on rather medium distance. As said already, you are sending somewhat about 20 bullets with a burst in his direction, shoud not at least 1 bullet hit him on 40-50m ? In game, it happens just by times to often, that you do not hit him, or that it has no real effect on his accurcy, even when you hit him! (as there is no pain or effect that let your aim go off)

We can talk about any good thing or bad thing the mgs have in this game and how to use them right ... it will not change the fact, that they are to easy to kill for one single riflemen. And i do not talk here about the snipers, or in better words, riflemens with scope :p

Upvote 0