• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Kuzernki Beta

ViViD said:
Thanks Guppy for clarifying, and the tips on what to do with the houses, will work on that.

Commissar: Yeah yet to understand how I should optimize the map read one tutorial and a few posts, but if you have any hints and tips would be awesome. But another great tip to add to the list.

Thanks for the advice more more <smile>
Well I am rather new to mapping myself, but I think the town buildings could make great use of antiportals and the farm house and/or barn could perhaps use a zoneportal. There is also of course the option to adjust the maximum visibility of the distance fog.

A set of great tutorials on Unrealed optimizations are included in the 3D Buzz tutorial series that comes with the UT2004 DVD version (thats how I started to learn how to map, it alone is worth the cost of the game IMO).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[5.SS] Herr Hut said:
Played this one on our server last night. Very good map, I like the overall feel of it.

However, there is one glaring problem that will probably take it out of our rotation until it is fixed. As it stands now the Germans can fill up their halftrack and zoom out to the tower, and cap it before the Russians can even get there to defend it. It would be good for the gameplay of the map if the tower was not available to cap until the farmhouse was taken.

Otherwise, just minor complaints/questions:

Did you mean to give the Russians no immediate (i.e. no satchels or PTRD)way to destroy the halftracks? Personally, I kind of like it the way it is now, because the HT's can be disabled by MG fire, and a well placed nade can do quite a bit of damage.

I will have this corrected on the new beta (This friday coming) as it is a major gameplay issue as discussed, along with a couple of new buildings opened up.

The fix will be you must take the farm before the tower is taken. This will allow people that die, to spawn and protect the tower.

As for entrances to the tower and so forth, I might make the objective size larger so it consists of the tower and surrounding crossroads, this way you can clear the street then concentrate on the tower as a defender the tower is both a nade trap and good defensive point.

No immeditate plans to issue a PTRD or satchels, you can nade the Halftrack as the MG is pretty useless unless your using it at range, and the MGs do quiet a job on the HTs anyway, I prefer to see a engine dead HT then the instant blowups that happen in RO with overpowered PTRD's

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Played this one tonight.

I think it is an excellent, realistic infantry map with a few though objectives and large open areas to cross, which requires real tactical use of Halftracks and Smoke.

All in all it reminded me of something Combat Mission:Barbarossa to Berlin would create for a quick battle. In fact it reminded me a LOT of CMBB - the open meadows, first line of houses, harrasing long range fire to slow down the german advance...

The thrill of getting finally one HT for support, or taking the trenches by a wide flanking manouver is excellent. Just like CMBB when you rally your broken squads and finally make it.

This is good, because it really required a lot of tactics to get trough here.

Do me a favor and when all is done, please add bots. This map should be perfect.

You have caught me out the influence for this map is a CMAK map called A Savage Struggle which is made by HSG (Ardem is my name on the CM forums)

Although the terrain, combat troops and a lot of the layout is very different but the concepts are very similar.

Upvote 0
Hehe Vivid, I think more people should borrow from Combat Mission. What many maps lack is a mindfull tactical setup. They just throw something togehter that looks like from a movie and then add players.

IMHO, a better way to make a map is to create an objective (like a village), then add defense positions as tactically sound as possible, and only then add the attackers. Give them some distance and room to manouver - all that is done for CMBB and CMAK, so nice to see a similar map in here.

For example, yesterday we struggled to take the trenches over the open ground (which almost gave it away as a CombatMission Design) and when we finally had them, came under fire from a wooden bunker on the right. Flashbacks to CMBB ;-). This kind of battlefield-shaping and defense setup is just so much more realistic than the random run-arounds we see on many standard maps. I admit, however, that I wouldn't want to play this on any random public server since it's too complicated for the twitch crowd - but on Project Twilight the guys knew enough tactics to get it sorted.

One little bug I noticed: After the first german spawn wave, there's already a HT spawned at the farm (while it's still russian).

This map would sooooo need two AT Guns for the russians, and one tank for the germans. Alas no working AT Guns yet...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I so agree with AT guns, I was thinking if I did add tanks, I would inbed a T-34/76 in the ground, thats as close as a AT Gun I could get at the moment, but I think I will save that for another map idea.

All the maps I will create will never be public spawn run arounds, they will be based on a tactical philsophy to win, I hope the realistic crowd will appreciate it and really enhance teamwork amoungst people, cause without teamwork in Kuzernki you will lose every time.

Upvote 0
GS_Schimpf said:
Check the spawns!!! It happens often on a full server, that a few people don't respawn at all, or only respawn 1 or 2 rounds later than supposed (German 2nd spawn). Probably not enough spawnpoints on the 2nd german spawn?

Yes make sure you have at least 18 PlayerStart Actors per side to be on the safe side.

Upvote 0
ViViD said:
I so agree with AT guns, I was thinking if I did add tanks, I would inbed a T-34/76 in the ground, thats as close as a AT Gun I could get at the moment, but I think I will save that for another map idea.

All the maps I will create will never be public spawn run arounds, they will be based on a tactical philsophy to win, I hope the realistic crowd will appreciate it and really enhance teamwork amoungst people, cause without teamwork in Kuzernki you will lose every time.

The tank turret AT gun was an actual soviet tactic. I have photo's of atleast one T34 turret used in this way. I'll see if I can dig up a link if you're interested. I don't know in what year they started doing that or where but it would definitly seem novel and interesting if it popped up on a map.

edit: to plain further, the russians just dropped a t34 turret over a hole in the ground and told two russians to climb in with a bunch of rounds. I don't know if it included any gear to let the turret rotate.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Hehe Vivid, I think more people should borrow from Combat Mission. What many maps lack is a mindfull tactical setup. They just throw something togehter that looks like from a movie and then add players.

you got that right! I was hoping someone would use these as well: www.blowtorchscenarios.com . some real hotties.

@ViViD: nice map man! keep up the good work. CM is a great source for some map and scenario ideas.

Upvote 0
GS_Schimpf said:
Check the spawns!!! It happens often on a full server, that a few people don't respawn at all, or only respawn 1 or 2 rounds later than supposed (German 2nd spawn). Probably not enough spawnpoints on the 2nd german spawn?

Agree, I waited for 90+ seconds to spawn in a few times as russian.

PS- where did you get that "pillbox" static that is outside the tower CP? Its the one that you walk in from the side and pop up in a circular concrete structure. I want to use that for a map I am making.

Upvote 0