• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

map hijacking

Tru3Slaughter

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2006
N.E Phila,Pa.
i would just like to see other's opinion of this. recently there have been maps coming out that are re do's of others original map. i think this is wrong!this game is fantastic and i would hate to see it ruined by people's work being stolen. it takes, i'm sure a lot of hard hours of work to produce a quality map and to have another mapper take your work and move around a few things without permission and then call it your work is totally unethical. i'm sure to Dev's can appreciate this, so i'm calling on the RO community to step up and take a stand on this issue lest we lose the excellent mappers out there. this game is still in infancy let's not kill it before it walks. i request all original mappers to copyright thier work.and servers not to run hacked or hijacked maps. intelligent opinions are welcome

I agree! This is realy starting to become a major issue. I have seen for myself in the server list at least three maps all named the same as the current offical ones in RO but with a lower case ro tag on it so people think its' the same. Stealing names in a game is wrong and totaly agenst the games full copyright rules.

Upvote 0
Gunwing said:
I have seen for myself in the server list at least three maps all named the same as the current offical ones in RO but with a lower case ro tag on it so people think its' the same.
I'm willing to bet that's just a bug on either the server's end or the player's end, since I've been seeing that pop up occasionaly since day one, well before the SDK came out and anyone could actually make custom maps or mess around with the official ones.

Plus, if it was a different map with the same name, you'd have to download it when you joined the server (for example, at the time of the last patch, there were people who inadvertently downloaded the old version of Arad when they joined a server that was unpatched). I've joined multiple servers that showed the mapname the same as an official map, except all in lowercase, and never once had to download the map.

Upvote 0
Musketeer said:
I saw this in MoH, CoD and CoD2 and it was never a real problem. Often the tweaked map was better, sometimes not. I don't care who did it I just want to play the best version.

There is no copywriting of these custom maps and anyone who make one knows it may be modified by others.

I think a map is under intellectual property and you need permission from the author unless he states otherwise.

Upvote 0
Legally I don't think there's any reason to that you can't steal another person's map and change it.

That being said, I find it incredibly rude to do so without the originator's permission. Even if the gameplay is improved, it takes a ridiculous amount of work to create a map and for someone to just grab a completed one and tweak it for their own enjoyment is just plain wrong.

If you think you can make a better map, then do so. Otherwise you're just stealing someone else's hard work.

Upvote 0
If they port maps from RO:CA to RO:O without permission I dont care, I care about the map I play not the dude who makes it. Should I stop playing a good map just because its final mapper is not the original one?, what makes one better than the other?

For example... If the original mapper of Jucha does not port it to RO:O, but there is another dude that does it... and so, thanks to that, I can play Jucha again, I dont think anyone is getting harmed with that... I feel good because I can play it, the one who ports the map is happy because he helped the community, and the original mapper is stil alive

see, no harm done =P

Its called Freedom!! FREEDOM!!

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
yeah, 88vs76 saved Orel.

Heinz, we play both maps and I vigorously disagree.

88/76 is decidedly one sided. Orel should not have been messed with without the author's permission. Its a matter of respect. We wish to keep quality mappers, the hijacking must stop. Its really that simple. Asking for permission is the very simple, respectful and right thing to do.

Upvote 0
i agree with both sides here. while i would be flattered for someone to use my work in thier map, i might also be a bit miffed at how easily they copied and pasted it into another map. however why should it take forever to create an interesting map? there are alot of things that people use that have been made by others, so why not have a collection of static meshes, emmitters, bsp brushes, etc, that are not included already within the game? i heard another person on this forum ask about pre-made starter maps. i guess asking for a map that has a few essential things already roughly placed. whynot share all this info wealth in hopes of building a better game over the long run?

Upvote 0
Pretty much anything you create is instantly copyrighted, even writing down ideas is automatically copyrighted. So if anyone in here comes up with the next greatest gizmomatic, write it down in ink, sign and date it and you're set in case someone steals it.
The maps are copyrighted naturally, but since no money is involved its a matter of respect to ask to use the map.

Upvote 0