• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More Realism Plz!

DangDave

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2006
Illinois, USA
First of all I'd like to see more realism introduced into the game. Games like Joint Operations started out fair but bowed to the wishes of the masses and now its just another arcade shooter.

When ya get wounded the affects should last longer or even be permanent.
If ya get hit and not killed your character should get knocked to the ground in some instances.

Re spawns should be adjustable on server side to limit the number of lives a person has. The re spawn timer should be adjustable too.

The game length should be adjustable on server side not hard coded in map. Short map times promote run and gun because there isn't enough time for tactics. Like to see map times up to as much as 60mins (just in case you wanna play it that long)

tks are adjustable in config file but need to be in web admin.

Maps need more non-qualified vehicles for infantry. Some jeeps or trucks would be nice. I find on " Tank Maps " there are too many tanks not enough infantry.
Should be one squad to a tank.

Last edited:
DangDave said:
Re spawns should be adjustable on server side to limit the number of lives a person has. The re spawn timer should be adjustable too.

The game length should be adjustable on server side not hard coded in map. Short map times promote run and gun because there isn't enough time for tactics.
no.

those things are coded into the map because they are specifically FOR that map.
you cant have the same amount of time for infantry maps as you do for tank maps for example, it just dusnt work.
not having a global time limit or reinforments count, allows for a whole lot more flexabilaty in map design, that definatly should not be done away with.

the same goes for the respawn timer.
a longer respawn timer on maps like odessa where the last 2 objectives are non-recap means its a WHOLE lot eazyer for the allies to win as they just need to get lucky a few times and kill enough.
odessa is interesting because the axis can get into the capzone pretty fast after they die, so allies need not only drive them out but afterwards keep them out.
without that 2de part of the attack it just becomes completely biased toward the allies.

Maps need more non-qualified vehicles for infantry. Some jeeps or trucks would be nice. I find on " Tank Maps " there are too many tanks not enough infantry.
a nice case of where the statistics dont tell the whole story.
while 1 tank to a squad may have been accurate numbers wise, that wasnt how they where used in the field.
tanks where grouped together.
sure they had infantry support but not in those numbers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what it did was make things really boaring.

nobody moved nothing was happening and the feeling of being in a war was gone completely.
it might work in ghost recon, but not in RO.
RO simulates large scale battles, not low intencity localized fighting like ghost recon.
they are just two completely different game types.

like ghost recon it would just turn into a game of hid and seek in the end with most players having to sit through 5 minutes of watching 2 guys trying to find each-other.
that dusnt really sound like a battlefield in worldwar 2 dus it.

and anybody who really only runs in and sprays and pray's is usualy spending most of him time waiting to respawn or running from spawn to the objectives.
they will soon enough learn the value of staying alive, or ofcourse forever remain mediocer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DangDave said:
wow really started something here. :)

Ya but if ya get on a tank map as infantry ya got a real long run with not much purpose it seems.

I agree 100%. Maps like Barashka(?) and Ogledow(?) where you have lots tanks and very little infantry are poorly thought of.

What are you supposed to do on Barashka with a MG or assault class? There's too much open space to move ahead and you have about 3-4 potential target scattered on the huge map anyway.

Same goes with being a rifleman on Ogledow. What can you do with a rifle against 7-8 enemy tanks?

Upvote 0
DangDave said:
First of all I'd like to see more realism introduced into the game. Games like Joint Operations started out fair but bowed to the wishes of the masses and now its just another arcade shooter.

If ya get hit and not killed your character should get knocked to the ground in some instances.

The game length should be adjustable on server side not hard coded in map. Short map times promote run and gun because there isn't enough time for tactics. Like to see map times up to as much as 60mins (just in case you wanna play it that long)

Dont care about their exessive respect Dangdave :D
I agree with you, that RO would be nice with more realism.
In this case I am willing to find a team that can help creating a mutator that fit our needs.
What would you say about that?

Upvote 0
Regarding 32 players simulating a large battle I have this idea:

ATTACK AND DEFEND:
Team A of 14 men defend a 3 stage fortified position.
Team B of 18 men has to push enemy back A>B>C

* The defenders spawns about 100m away (at the second objective)
* The attackers initial spawn is about 1000m away having to travel for about 3 minutes with car.

* If 50% of the attacking team dies in battle, all 8 players are respawned at the starting location, having to travel for 3 mins to reinforce the attack. (If only 6 dies, they must wait until 2 more dies to respawn)
* If 50% of the defenders die, all 8 players respawn at the second objective having to run 100m to aid the defence.

- This helps the soldiers to move in groups rather than being sent one and one into the meatgrinder.

* An objective is only capped if all enemies in the area is killed.
* The battle is lost if reinforcements run out.

Availible equipment:
Axis:
Riflemen x7+ Unlimited respawns (until Tickets run out)
Smg x2 - Unilimited respawns.
MG x2 - Unlimited respawns
Sniper x1 - can only respawn x3 times (then player must play anothe class)
Commander w/smoke (9 artystrikes)
Antitank x1 - Maximum of x3 respawns avail

Allied:
Riflemen x10+ - unlimited respawns
Smg x4 - Unilimited respawns
MG x1 - Unlimited respawns
Sniper x1 - Can only respawn x2 times
Commander x1 w/smoke (4 artystrikes)
Tankcrew x2 - Tank Can only respawn x2 times

NOTE: some clases may only respawn limited times, to simulate the rarity of equipment and classes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
no.

a nice case of where the statistics dont tell the whole story.
while 1 tank to a squad may have been accurate numbers wise, that wasnt how they where used in the field.
tanks where grouped together.
sure they had infantry support but not in those numbers.

its anyway completely strange how this is done ingame, but considering that very few people anyway realy work and guard the tanks, its i guess, not possible to do it otherwhise. While tank units usualy have there own motor-driven inantry units, folowing them, to guard against enemy anti tank/attacking infantry. In german referred short as the Panzergrenadiere (which as far i know, where the first, infantry units, classified only for tank supporting, with special training also). As far i know, they even had there own guns, equipment etc. Thats where the armored personnel carriers come from, the germans used so excessively in combination with there tanks as a invention from Guderian, who formed mainly the german tank units and tactics before and between war.

Coudnt say how it was for large battles like kursk, where you sometimes have more then 100 vehicles driving around, but usualy such a unit is divided, with all the vehicles they have, from heavy to light, and some for scouting etc. A reason why the german tank units have been so succesfull in poland and even more in france, they where weaker then the french tanks, but they have not been slowed down from there infantry, they have the infantry give the abilty to keep up with there tanks (as said, talking here about "special" infantry, the usual german wehrmachtsoldier, spend most of his time on foot! Or in france on bikecycles :D)

You woud NEVER see a tank without any infantry around at all. I guess this was for soviets the same case, as usualy a tank without infantry is much more vunerable and they developed before war similar tactics like the germans for there units.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People need to understand that the engine has limitations, and you could never recreate that feeling of large battles with just 32 people, and no respawns. If everyone were to have one life, you'd need 200 people all playing at once.

Maybe because people see the same name come up on the screen when they get a kill or die, it throws them onto some trip about people not being careful when they play.

You should think about it as though this is a whole new soldier doing what he is commanded to do... not 'oh, theres REZ again, I've seen him die recently, he must not care about his life'.

The truth is, soldiers in WWII were thrown into impossible situations relentlessly, so it shows true that a guy would crest a hill trying to get to the other side, even though he knows theres an MG there that will probably cut him down... theres also a commander behind him with a loaded pistol, just waiting for someone to have second thoughts. He's not Rambo, he's following orders.

Each time you respawn, you are a different human being, a different soldier, think of it that way. I dont see how that exactly encourages a run and gun style, but I do know that constantly losing to better coordinated teams is a deterrent to run and gun.

Look, our community has grown big time with the release, you now have people migrating from other games that might have had a different effective style.... those people will soon learn the most effective way of playing RO, for sure.

Of course if you insist on playing RO Counter-Strike style, then there are always the mod tools... have at it, run your own server, with your own special mutes.

Upvote 0

ATTACK & DEFENCE map
* If 50% of the attacking team dies in battle, all 8 players are respawned at the starting location, having to travel for 3 mins to reinforce the attack. (If only 6 dies, they must wait until 2 more dies to respawn)
* If 50% of the defenders die, all 8 players respawn at the second objective having to run 100m to aid the defence.

- This helps the soldiers to move in groups rather than being sent one and one into the meatgrinder.
Make a large map with this spawnsystem = problem fixed?
(see total idea at the beginning of thread)

Upvote 0
DangDave said:

Being able to mold this game into different play styles/servers, rather than just having one set of play style/rules/conditions, are what make great games, great.

I say that these ideas are good, and could fit well into a "mod" or mutator of some kind.

If the game was more versatile than it would appeal to more people... since everyone enjoys different types of gaming experiences.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
People need to understand that the engine has limitations, and you could never recreate that feeling of large battles with just 32 people, and no respawns. If everyone were to have one life, you'd need 200 people all playing at once.

I have to agree with this. As the player count gets higher the fear of death can be safely bumped up to higher levels because you will still feel like you are in a big battle. If you lengthen the respawn times or limit the lives with 32 players maximum you will ruin the feeling of a big battle. Even right now RO struggles to keep the feeling of a large battle with 32 players and if you make dying more painful that feeling will be lost all together.

I suggest everyone waits for the player limit to go up before suggesting ideas like this. :)

Upvote 0
hmm....
- A single objective >>> 16 persons per team:
* 4 players (fireteam) has to die to make a respawn.
* In this way 4 players arrive the battlefield simultaniously.

- This would feel as waves of reinforcement as you see 4 soldiers arriving at the scene at the same time.

- Also it will add to groupfeeling and teamwork as opposed to 1 and 1 comming into to the battle 15 secs apart.

- Negative side: If 3 are dead, they must wait for the 4th to die to respawn (which probably wount take too long)

- Secondly you could be able to choose how many times IE a tank, sniperclass, MG respawns.

This would simulate that a class has ran out of reinforcements.
The person playing the MG class now has to switch to another available role.
- Imagine if one side runs out of MG gunners or tanks, while the other havent!

That would generate dynamic battles as well as adding to the fear of death.
You'd be careful where you put your tank, if you know you only got 3 of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0