• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Big Mistake of Red Orchestra (I think)

[tR]Mad Mac said:
This thread makes me dissapointed in the forums. Too much flaming and insulting.

I was thinking the same thing. :(

Personally I think the system is great the way it is because you have to consider the 32 player maximum limit. Once that number gets bumped up to 64 or 128 then you can limit the lives, lengthen the respawn times, or have people spawn further from the action without losing the overall feel of a large battle. If you do these things now you lose the feeling of a large scale war, IMO.

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
You are clueless and need to read more into the game.

Tripwire constantly stated that RO:O is not a 'total realism' game, but a "simplistic realism" game. Things like weapon jams, sight adjustments, having to take a crap or write your in-game name in the snow with your own piss, and your ideas here are not implemented because they would read too far into realism. So it is NOT trying to simulate real war and it's effects upon you.

You lose.

-End of discussion
"simplistic realism" doesn

Upvote 0
Whoever says that longer respawn times make people more careful/better has no clue and never played AAO.
If you guys had played AAO for a while like I did, you would know that even with long respawn times people rush and do stupid things (and many people do that and every round). The only difference is that after they died they press alt+tab surfe through the internet or something.

And this is a WW2 game with huge battles not a special forces game, I'm sorry to inform you that you bought the wrong game.
And I'm gonna flame everyone who wants to change the game and split up the already small community because they couldn't read reviews before they bought the game.

Upvote 0
[tR]Mad Mac said:
This thread makes me dissapointed in the forums. Too much flaming and insulting.

Yeah what is with all the hostility these last few days guys?

Actually, the topic poster has a point, and no it isn't "impossible." Sure, we cannot force people to "feel" certain emotions, but the other things he is describing -flinching, ducking, eyes shutting- are all under the nomenclature of "autonomous responses."

This means they are things that have to do with physiological factors, not just pure emotional state. And the point about wounding is very key. Currently, you carry no penelaty for being shot, aside from the short term effects of slowed movement. Much could be added in this area.

It isn't exactly outside the realm of possiblity, the Resistance and Liberation mod is going to try working with some of these ideas, about how your physiology effects everything from your movement to your aim.

P.S. And while we are on the subject of making things more real, did anyone notice the conspicous lack of huge muzzle flashes in those real combat videos?

Upvote 0
Auto reaction system mutation

Auto reaction system mutation

I am currently developing a game/mod/mutation (not choosen yet).
Among many features I want to include an Auto reaction system (ARS)
The ARS enables a momentary loss of control over your character.

THe auto reaction system is controlled by a morale value.
If the morale value drops to a certain point, the morale fails and the ARS will force the character in worst case to panic.

The morale value is affected by:
1) Enemy suppression fire
2) Pain from wounds
3) Being close to teammates
(more distance = less morale. less mates = less morale)
4) Being close to a commander
5) Winning/loosing a cap location
6) reinforcements depleted

ARS and morale effects:
If a morale check fails, the character may go into a state of panic.

Effects of panic might be:
* Character dives to the ground and freezes until he recovers.
* Character drops his weapon and retreats until safe.
* Character Surrender and walk Towards the enemy as POW
(longer respawn)

- The character recovers faster if a commander or teammate moves close to his vicinity.

* The morale value also controls the adrenaline in your character and affects his vision, hearing, stamina and aiming.

* A warning of morale fail can be that your heartbeat is absurbly high and breathing is erratic and uneven,
The worse it gets the more affected is your character by fear until point of blackout.

Benefits:
* The ARS helps the players understand the value of teamwork, by feeling the character is physically affected by momentary loss of control.
* The fear of death is drasticly increased.
* The intensity of the game is augemented

Variations:

* Snipers, MG's morale are only affected by pain, win/loss and reinforcements.
* Tanks is affected by morale if damaged.
* THe commander has higher individual morale, and do not panic easily. He also boost the morale of the team x2.

If you enjoy this idea and want to help creating a mutation for RO, based on this, or just have feedback, please contact me.:)

Upvote 0
Jack said:
P.S. And while we are on the subject of making things more real, did anyone notice the conspicous lack of huge muzzle flashes in those real combat videos?
muzzle flashes like these

muzzle%20flash.jpg

and thats with a modern weapon and ammo.
ww2 gunpower had a lot more flash to it as it wasn't as efficient and didnt burn up as cleanly or as fast.

muzzle flashes are fine the way they are.

This means they are things that have to do with physiological factors, not just pure emotional state. And the point about wounding is very key. Currently, you carry no penelaty for being shot, aside from the short term effects of slowed movement. Much could be added in this area.
getting shot in RO:O and living basicly means you got a graze, anything more and your consided dead instantly.
in no way would a wound like that stop you from fighting. if a wound is serious enough to effect your combat readyness its serious enough for RO:O to consider you dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Teq said:
Effects of panic might be:
* Character dives to the ground and freezes until he recovers.
* Character drops his weapon and retreats until safe.
* Character Surrender and walk Towards the enemy as POW
(longer respawn)

- The character recovers faster if a commander or teammate moves close to his vicinity.

* The morale value also controls the adrenaline in your character and affects his vision, hearing, stamina and aiming.

* A warning of morale fail can be that your heartbeat is absurbly high and breathing is erratic and uneven,
The worse it gets the more affected is your character by fear until point of blackout.
Something like this could work in a totaly luck based tabletop game, just for funs sake. For any other game (including role playing games, real time strategy games, turnbased games, serious tabletops and especially shooters!) the effects you described are way too harsh!

Upvote 0
Countess that is the same screenshot everyone posts to get their rocks off on muzzle flashes...notice the guy has cut his barrel down drastically. He is firing rifle ammunition on full auto out of essentially a sub-gun length barrel.

In none of those films from Iraq or Afghanistan, where standard length M4 and M16 barrels are used, do you see huge fireballs becuase there is actually some length to burn the powder up. There were AKs and other weapons in those films as well.

Just face it already: the fireballs in RO are overdone, especially from the shooter's perspective. If it was like this in real life people would be going nightblind at 2 in the afternoon.

PS: What is this crock that WWII gunpowder didn't burn up as cleanly? I am sure there are some degradtions, but nothing approaching a standard of deviation, it's not like we are talking the difference between black and smokeless powder or something.

Upvote 0
Teq said:
I am currently developing a game/mod/mutation (not choosen yet).
Among many features I want to include an Auto reaction system (ARS)
The ARS enables a momentary loss of control over your character.

THe auto reaction system is controlled by a morale value.
If the morale value drops to a certain point, the morale fails and the ARS will force the character in worst case to panic.
While you're at it. Just make the mod so the player is an observer. The game just moves your character around the map shooting, cause you know, each person reacts identically under stressfull situations. :rolleyes:

The_Countess said:
getting shot in RO:O and living basicly means you got a graze, anything more and your consided dead instantly.
in no way would a wound like that stop you from fighting. if a wound is serious enough to effect your combat readyness its serious enough for RO:O to consider you dead.

People seem to miss this point entirely.

Upvote 0