• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Big Mistake of Red Orchestra (I think)

I know is not easy to do, but I don't like the fact of don't lose absolutely nothing when you die, at least lose one or two points when you die.
In the way I was talking about, If the half of your team have no lifes left your team will loose soon, because is very easy for the other team capture their objectives, if someone left the game, his lifes can be distriuited betwen the players who have less lifes or something like that, If someone join the game, can take lifes from the people who have more lifes; I know it's not easy but I think it's possible do something to give more value to your life.

Upvote 0
I feel ashamed, every time a new member is on the forum he will be insultd as noob.

Anyway, Wili is right. RO tries to portray huge battles with max 32 players. This can only work with sacrifices e.g. no fear of death.

On the other hand I don't know a better solution. In other games you either you have respawning or not respawning at all. Both modes only work in parts.

Upvote 0
How exactly would that help?
And why do you guys even assume that it's always my fault that I die? Sometimes you get naded or whatever, something you can't control (artillery etc.).

Go watch some documentaries about the Russian army in WW2 and then tell me something about rushing and death. They got wasted and sent in everywhere, at least that is realistic on the Russian side in RO. And just so you know, dying is punishment enough for the most people, because a. it's annoying and b. I want to win.

You guys keep buying games and then you want to change them. Ok newsflash:

If you don't like fast respawns, RO wasn't your game to begin with, why did you even buy it? Ro is made for that, you don't change games in something that they are not build for. And now please go play Americas Army or wait for Armed Assault.

Upvote 0
ROOST Webstie said:
Fight in the theatre of war that changed the world forever. Battle alongside your compatriots on some of the most inhospitable environments of the Eastern Front in Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 RO places you in the most realistic WWII first-person multi-player combat to date on the PC, allowing the player to fight through some of the most intense combat of the war.
It provides everything it claims. I still don't get why people think this GAME is supposed to be some kind of real life simulation. :rolleyes: I find nowhere that the TW crew claim this to be a "realistic simulation" of combat on the Eastern Front, as that would be impossible with today's technology. They do claim it's the most realistic WWII first-person multi-player combat to date on the PC, which I don't argue with.

Wili said:
I make a lot more points doing Rambo, I don't take care about my life, just go ahead and capture and you will be the first boy on the list, cmoon die 20 30 times, anyway you will be the man who earn more points, doing Rambo you will have more points than everybody, doesn't take care about your life, doen't matter...

You assume that everyone that dies a lot are playing "Rambo"? I've been killed many times by an unseen shooter, grenade or even the damned "random artillery" hit. Why the hell should I be penalized for that? It always seems to point to disgruntled low scorerers. It's the same old, "You high score people are just wasting lives!" argument.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No matter how realistic you make the game, it will never be 100% realistic and someone will point that out.

Wili has his own idea of what he would like to see. He is entitled to it.

For whatever the reasons, the devs decided to use the system that is currently in place. We have read what that system tries to simulate (larger force on the map coming into play as the game can only currently handle 32 players max). It is not the same as Wili's.

Not everyone dies because they were acting like Rambo. As long as a player is not cowering in a corner, other causes could be grenade, sniper fire, random artillery etc.... causes that are more often than not, beyond that players control.

I think the current system with the replacements handled the way they are, an excellent idea. It takes into account the availability of larger forces and allows respawning for players (fresh troops entering the battle), the influx of new players, dropping out of players, etc etc. Limiting this to an even distribution of troops per player would hinder the idea of fresh troops/available reinforcements entering the battle if a number of players had already hit their limit.

It is no more or no less 'realistic' than Wili's idea, but different. 100% realistic would be one death per player, which neither idea is. IMHO the current system is more efficient and creative and would work better than one suggested by Wili. And since it is already in place and generally accepted, it is unlikely to change.

---------------------------

In any case, I play as if I am protecting my own life. I don't like it when I die, have to wait to respawn, then work my way back into the battle. Depending on the map and combat situation, that could be minutes. That is my 'FEAR OF DYING'

Upvote 0
I remember Rainbow Six games used to have a one life system.

They also had wounding, and combined these two facets really did make you tense while playing. Sometimes I remember literally sweating when it was down to me as the last member of my team and there were a couple of enemy players left hunting me down.

As has been stated already though, this system only works good for very small groups of combatants in very limited settings. So while it worked good for CT verus tangos in R6, it doesn't lend itself to simulating WWII battles.

Still, I don't see the justification in flaming the original topic poster for his views....it's not like he broke some law or something.

Upvote 0
Wili said:
Hello, I think Red Orchestra is looking for realism, but Red Orchestra It's not realistic because you have unlimited lifes and you don't have fear to die. I think this should change, each player should have just one life or two or three, not more because if you die and respawn after 5 seconds you are losing the fear to die; I think this will create a lot more of tension in game; I'm very decepcionated at this point because I thought Red Orchestra was looking for the most realistic experience, and respawn after dead it's not realistic at all, Thanks, I hope are more people thinking like me.

Red Orchestra isnt realistc anway, its just "called" realistic. I acceped this a long time ago. You shoud do it also, it helps to enjoy the game, cause its a fun game and realy nice, just ... not realistic (not even near). It has only some more realistic features then the most other "average" ww2 shoters you can get out there. And compared to CoD or DoD:S (thats my opinion), RO:O is the best you can get for money in a WW2 setting.

Upvote 0
I enjoy a lot Red Orchestra, but when I purchased it, I readed that Red Orchestra was looking for realism and I expected to feel more tension and fear of death in game. I think with this game system you lose a lot of tension. I respect all your oppinions, but I'm very disappointed at this point.

Upvote 0
Wili said:
I'm very decepcionated at this point
Um, that's not a word as far as I know. Not picking on you. Did you mean you feel like you've been deceived, or that you are disappointed? If you are disappointed, that sucks, but I don't think anybody lied to you.

So you are mad because you get to jump in and play the game some more, instead of being bored watching the rest of your team play? Sorry if I find that odd.

Anyway, if you don't feel tension and fear of death, that's a problem within your own head. Just try to stay alive. If you feel like you haven't been punished enough when you die, punch yourself in the nose a few times. There's some realism for ya! Just imagine the tension you would feel as you anticipate the impending blows to the face!

Stop looking at the scoreboard and worrying about how other people play the game. The score should mean nothing if you want realism. By the way, the reason that the so called Rambos who cap objectives get high scores is because that is the whole point of the game! You are fighting over territory, not just trying to kill as many enemies as you can from the sidelines. Get in there and help your team!

If you really want realism, perhaps you should join the military. There are some fine armed conflicts going on around the world, and they always need more cannon fodder!

Upvote 0
I'm very sorry but maybe I don't use the exact words to say anything, my language is not english, I don't think nobody lied me, I just saying that I hoped more realism or whathever you called it, I don't like the game at this point, I hoped more, that's all, but I ejoyed it anyway, it's a very good game :)
I have my own opinion like you Pookie, and you should respect it like me,
but... Pookie is on the good way, he's correct, do anything he's telling to us, he's good, he's a perfect man, he's god, he's Rambo xD

Upvote 0
Wow, 80% of my post wasn't even serious, and I'M the one who got you mad? I guess I just should have called you a noob and been done with it. :rolleyes: Yes, we both have opinions. If you don't want to risk having people disagree with you, then you shouldn't post to a public forum.

Also, thank you for all of those nice compliments. I'm happy you noticed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wili said:
I'm very sorry but maybe I don't use the exact words to say anything, my language is not english, I don't think nobody lied me, I just saying that I hoped more realism or whathever you called it, I don't like the game at this point, I hoped more, that's all, but I ejoyed it anyway, it's a very good game :)
I have my own opinion like you Pookie, and you should respect it like me,
but... Pookie is on the good way, he's correct, do anything he's telling to us, he's good, he's a perfect man, he's god, he's Rambo xD

Please inform us which game does it better? I don't know of any.

Upvote 0
I think RO is the best SO FAR....

Me too got disappointed by the non-tension in the game...
By non-tension I mean:
I am afraid of dieing, BUT SO MANY OTHERS ARENT:
Its like playing against hords of people with no fear at all!

While I stay put behind some sandbags trying to stay alive...
FIVE HEROES jumps forward, siggsagging between a wall of MG fire
and kills me with a Spray of SMG fire at point plank!....
1 of 1000 persons would have this kinda courage!...
Except in some battles where one got killed for not rushing the enemy...(attack or die)

Soldiers SHOULD FEAR MG FIRE like it was "SATAN" himself...
and solders should rely on the MG as cover over open fields.

By realism I mean that ALL players should FEEL the horror from the bullets and explotions by affecting the player character so the player somewhat looses control...
There are ceritain physical energies that a human cant cope with even if he is very experienced:

You should hear your breathing and pain when you get hit(as OFP does )
The adrenaline should affect your sighting, aiming and hearing.
The shock/rumble of explotions and heavy impacts should force you to the ground.

RO does this, but not obvious enough ATM, but it could be tweaked....

Armed assault/OFP gives flexibillity enough so the mapmaker can control the rules of the game easily to fit different needs....
RO is static at the moment as it is locked to only a few gametypes....
This is why it will perish soon (unless they make it more flexible)

I still enjoy it, but Its not what I expected by realistic and If something beats it with realism, I will convert to that game :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yea Teg, you just don't know anything about WW2, it's fine!

The funny thing is that even in AAO I see people rushing and doing stupid stuff and thats with a 8+ minutes respawn time if you are unlucky.

I say let the people play how they want, who are you Teg to decide how people should play? Who are you to decide what's real and what's not?

Oh and, can I have your stuff?

Upvote 0