• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic Weapon Switching

The simplest way to do this is to have COMPETELY, and I mean like donw to double tap for every single key on the keyboard, configureable controls. We honestly need it. I'm going to have to spend a good ammount of time getting my contorls configed, and I want to have to move my hand as little as possible, so I want to be able to customize my controls to the max.

Upvote 0
Innociv said:
Also: I can hold my weapon with one hand and throw the grenade i nteh other just fine.. So what are you suppsoed to do about grenadfes? You shouldn't have to put your weapon away to get them out.

Still can't figure out how you would pull the pin or string on a nade while you hold your rifle in the other hand. The least IMHO would be the need to drop the rifle into it's sling.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Still can't figure out how you would pull the pin or string on a nade while you hold your rifle in the other hand. The least IMHO would be the need to drop the rifle into it's sling.
Download "The Trenches". Its a mod for halflife1.
Load up any map and switch to the grenades and throw one.
It looks very realistic how they did it.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Well you have either been brainwashed by Hollywood movies... Or ... you have been brainwashed by computer games. :D

Pulling the safety pin doesn't arm the grenade yet.. You first have to squeeze, bend, pull or sometimes even release the cocking handle/spoon/pin/screw to arm it.

Then you can cook it off to a time which can mean either a kill, death or miss...

Upvote 0
Yes, this issues is the weakest part in Red Orchestra at all. The weapon switch is really arcady in the current state and that's why I always have problems to consider RO as a realistic game.

Instant weapon switch for infantry is equal like instant position switching in vehicles. The vehicle switching will be probably adressed in the future, but the instant weapon switch is obviously overlooked.

Upvote 0
Just recently I actually wondered where you'd put your rifle when throwing a nade (in real life). You need both hands to ready the nade so the rifle has to go somewhere. But the sling isn't one of the new "let it dangle" types, instead better suited to put it over your shoulder.

Download and play "The Trenches" for Halflife 1. Their switch-to-grenade-system is the best in any game out there.
Basicaly you take the hand from the trigger to operate the grenade and the other hand, which is holding the rifle helps while still holding the gun. I can't describe it properly but it looks entirely believable.

@topic: Weaponswitching shouldn't take 5-6 seconds. Count to six just so you know what you are suggesting! If I have a backpack in my hand and I want something from my pocket (e.g. my purse) then I sling the backpack to my back and take it out. This takes me about 2-3 seconds without having to hurry and the backpack has two slings instead of one!

I think the weaponswitching in Ravenshield is done great regarding the time it takes and other realistic games should follow this example.

There is one neat animation in Brothers in Arms Earned in Blood (not in Road to Hill), where the player sticks his arm through the weaponsling when you switch weapons. It doesn't take any longer than regular switching, but it looks very cool.

The perfect (yes you heard right: perfect!) system would be "Ravenshield"'s switching + "Brothers in Arms"'s sling-animation + "The Trenches"' grenades.

The only thing that could top that would be full body awareness and matching animations but that's out of question here.

Upvote 0