• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rolling when prone.

Teq said:
I must repeat what I have said before:
Have anyone of you been rolling with helmet, shovel, ammopouches, grenades and backback on rockyground/mud/concrete?
I dont recall if the soldiers have this equipment on them in RO, but if they do, rolling would be pretty clumsy affair.
This would also account for the MG and Panserfaust classes as well.
On soft ground without too much equipment, rolling would be a great idea.

I beleive that in modern warfare soldiers have harness on their knees, shin and elbows, and smarter ammopouches.
It seems that rolling could be easier for them that in WW2

yes i have been rolling around with helmet, shovel, ammo pouches, etc etc. on grassy/muddy ground, kinda soft. doesnt matter. it hurts, too, though.
but.. point is that it gets you out of harms way quick.
rather a pain in your side then a bullet in your skull, right?

it gets you dizzy though, so if you do thi smake the screen go blurry or something, so it does have a penalty

and btw, for you guys bitching.. :p
its just a technique to cover open ground, but did i say it is preferred to cross open ground? ofcourse its not
its a last resort thing, if you have no other way around, and there is enough cover to do so.
it could allways come in handy, in a tight situation, you know what you have to do. honestly, the dutch army is prepared for pretty much every situation. but i NEVER said its preferred to do this, did i?

Upvote 0
The suggestion I made in the other rolling thread was that a quick double tap of the lean keys would cause a roll to happen in the respective direction. It would also deduct a fair amount of stamina and the player would have a 1-2 second reorientation period when done rolling.

Furthermore, the max amount of linked rolls should be two.

This would hopefully lend to it more as being an evasive maneuver rather than something to be spammed.

Upvote 0
skypirate said:
I think some of you guys have been watching too many movies. Rolling has very limited practicality. It's only worth it for a quick 1-2 roll evasion and certainly not for rolling across the battlefield (I'm sure this would happen if rolling were added).

Ever play paintball? If so, how many guys have you seen roll? Rolling throws you off target, is slow, and makes you dizzy.

What next? Cartwheels and summersaults, Matrix-style?

letz think about that again, when we all get in citiy fight with the same ballpar as Stalingrad. Then we will know, if we roll or not on the battleflied.

im sure some done it, others not. Most tactics for fighting, with tanks and infantry, have come out from ... ww2 ... and the heavy looses there.

Upvote 0
SiC-Disaster said:
...honestly, the dutch army is prepared for pretty much every situation...
Well considering that another German invasion isn't on the cards any time soon, the list of grave military threats to the Netherlands - and thus the preparedness requirements for your army - grows thin indeed.

However I'm sure it's a fundamental part of training to know how to high tail it to the coast and scan for British leisure boats, and this ducking, diving, rolling and weaving tactic may have been passed down as an exasive tactic versus low-flying ME109s...

Sorry...just couldn't resist. :D

I can think of Jackson from Saving Private Ryan dashing over a sand dune below the Omaha Beach bluffs and rolling several times into a bomb crater while an MG42 sprayed lead at him. I'd like to be able to do that in RO-O. However, after 2 consecutive rolls your screen starts to blur and spin, and ABSOLUTELY NO FIRING while rolling, in fact, at least a couple of seconds after you stop rolling to get your bearings on anything further than 10m away, which stays blurred for a few more seconds.

WDYT?

EDIT: must have skipped over EvilHobo's post so the original idea is there. Came to the same conclusion though!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EvilHobo said:
The suggestion I made in the other rolling thread was that a quick double tap of the lean keys would cause a roll to happen in the respective direction. It would also deduct a fair amount of stamina and the player would have a 1-2 second reorientation period when done rolling.

Furthermore, the max amount of linked rolls should be two.

This would hopefully lend to it more as being an evasive maneuver rather than something to be spammed.
If implemented this way, I'm for it, no doubt.

EDIT: And, of course, eliminating the ability to use any weapon during the action including the 1-2 secs reorientation.

Upvote 0
well i said its a technique, and not the only one
by no means is it a viable tactic, ofcourse. its not like the strategy is based like that, its jus tfor situations where you have no other choice. and besides that, i was not in the army very long, so dont quote me on this ***** i dont know everything there is to know
there's a difference between technique and tactic you know.
damnit its hard explaining stuff in another language :mad:
anyways, its not like you'll be seeing the dutch army do that any time soon:D
now stop making annoying comments, for the love of me:p
basically this annoys me to hell and back, so that would make me daemonspawn:D dont make me use my satanic powers on you:D

Upvote 0
I like the feat..... but a few conditions:

1) Rollling can only be done while prone (not like BF2 style, jump roll style)
2) Rolling must BLEED stamina... = one roll 50% stamina gone (to avoid ppl rolling around like phsycho's)
3) Rolling should not be able for the MG and Ppl with Panzerfausts on their backs! Atleast the MG should be dropped in the attempt.

If theese conditions could be met I'd Agree for rolling :)

Upvote 0