• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Refinished my M48

[CiA]Stiletto

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Work was spread across about two weeks. Linseed oil more or less every day, 120 grit sandpaper to start and 400 grit for most of the rest. Tung oil every day for the past three days, along with 600 grit (!) sandpaper.

0000 steel wool applied every now and then over the past few days too.

Refinished1.jpg

Refinished2.jpg

Refinished3.jpg

Refinished3Detail.jpg

Functionally (as in metal-wise), it's identical to the Kar98 (I think the Yugoslavians used former Nazi equipment) except for having an intermediate-length action. Accuracy should be about the same. Same length barrel, too (23.6"/60cm ). Blurb at TN Gun Parts.

Fit & finish of M48s will generally be a little bit less nice than Kar98s, M48As will be right up there. Nothing some TLC (fluff and buff) can't fix.

One of these days, I'd like to convert an M48 to .376 Steyr...

Upvote 0
The M48's are slightly different from the K98 in that the wooden handguard extends around the rear sight (creating that hump). The barrel on the K98 (between the front band and the front sling band) is exposed on the K98, and the bolt handle on the M48 is not turned down as far and often has a flat handle. Quite often they won't have a cutout for the bolt handle on the stock either.

Upvote 0
Hardware said:
what kind of ammo does it like. mines dead on with turk stuff but i've heard its loaded hot.

Turk is definitely a hot load. It sends the bullet down range at over 3000 FPS:eek:. I've got a German K98k and an M24/47. I've been thinking about getting one of the M48s that AIM has for $79.95 but I haven't heard enough reviews on them yet. My main concern is bore condition.

Nice lookin' rifle BTW!:cool:

Upvote 0
DO NOT BUY FROM MITCHELL'S!!! $300 for a "mint, World War II" M48?! For one, no M48 (except maybe a sniper variant) is worth $300. For another, the things are not World War II rifles. And for yet another, Mitchell's is a bunch of asshats—"teak" stocks my ass, M48 stocks are elm. *grumble* ("Mitchell's Mausers" is a dirty word among the milsurp collector community.)

You can find one in "excellent" condition (aka "unissued") for <$200 on Gunbroker, with all of the standard gear, and you don't have to deal with their fraudulent advertising. Take a couple of weeks to clean it up like I did, and get something that looks even better than a Mitchell's Mauser and for which you can proudly say "this is my baby", or just degunk the action and outside of the stock and sweat the rest out by shooting it.

Anyway, my M48s also love Turk. If you want to be proper, you could use the actual Yugoslavian surplus (mainly from the '50s), which is also a stout load (196gr @ 2600ft/s vs. 155gr @ ~3000ft/s for Turk). The Yugoslavian ammo will rock you back more (more impulse), but the Turk will snap a bit more—with any of them, make sure you have proper stance, or that tactical buttplate will hurt you.

Do not, under any circumstances, fire an M48 off of a benchrest without some kind of recoil dampening mechanism, even if it's just a recoil pad.

The ones currently available at AIM are best described as Fair~Good. Look around at Gunboards, Gunbroker, Auctionarms, and maybe the Surplusrifle forum—at the forums, I'm sure you will be able to find people looking to sell, and GB and AA always have a decent selection of M48s up for auction/buynow.

If you want to spend $$$ to get the "best" Mauser, look for any of the Czech Mausers (Vz24 and "Persian" Mausers come to mind) or get a Swedish Mauser (downside: 6.5x55 milsurp is kinda scarce).

Mauser variants to consider:

Turks. Ugly as hell, cheap, usually shitty feeling wood (c'mon, they're like 100 years old by now), GREAT shooters, will probably survive more abuse than you will. ~$100

M48s. Nice Mausers. Intermediate actions make them a bit different for project purposes, but they're still usable. Overall good workmanship, generally in good shape (aside from any which were used in the Yugoslavian civil/ethnic wars), etc. etc.. Great shooters, I already have two and I'm thinking about a third. ~$150

M24/47s. Like M48s, except full-length actions (makes them easier as project guns) and straight bolt handles (I prefer the partially-bent bolt handle of the M48 to straight or full-bent, but w/e). ~$150
EDIT: ALSO INTERMEDIATE ACTIONS, DISREGARD THAT BIT. THINK OF 24/47S AS STRAIGHT-BOLT M48S

Vz24s. Probably the best 8mm Mauser option out there. ~$200

Persian Mausers. BEAUTIFUL. ~$250, $300?

Kar98ks. German Mauser. ~$300? (Not so sure about these, I don't pay much attention to them.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No way I'm buying from Mitchell's. I've heard about them since before I was into Mausers. I actually like the been there, done that, battle scarred look of fair to good condition rifles. Rifles like that have a story to tell. Even though they (obviously) can't speak.

Turk's are cheap, at one point $50.00 a rifle. They also sometimes have stocks that feel like a 2x4 was screwed on. Some M38s were rebuilt and scrubbed WWI GEW. 98s.

German K98ks go from some of the best to just good depending on whether it's pre-war to near the end. Mine is a 1942 DUV and while not as highly polished as the pre-war rifles its still pretty good. Of course if it's a Russian capture you could have a 1938 K98k with an early 1945 bolt.

Oh and the action on my M24/47 is shorter than my K98k. It is not a full length action.

I've stocked up on around 1800 rounds of Yugo. 8mm. Half of it is '50s production and on stripper clips. The other half is '70s and looks brand new. Some people say they have FTFs or second strikes with '50s Yugo, but I've never had a problem with it. I need to order more before the supply runs out.

It also looks like, unless they import more, that we are finally out of Turk 8mm. At least I can't find it online anywhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wolfstuka said:
ill be getting an m48 from AIM sometime soon and ill post about it when i do
Hope yours cleans up well. I hear that aside from some light (as in not bad enough to seriously affect anything) bore pitting, they usually clean up pretty nicely and shoot just fine. Hence "shooter" grade. :)

Hmm, the local shop has a Mauser of some sort the guy quoted me $100 (must be a Turk like you mentioned)... I'm just a couple of side-jobs away from that baby!
TurkFullRight.jpg

TurkFullLeft.jpg

Like that? If so, it's a Turk.

Upvote 0