• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Replace the German halftrack by a Sd Kfz 234/2-4 Puma on Orel.

Oi!Oi!Oi!

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2006
Now that would be fun, I've always wanted to use one of these.

02566.jpg

Berentzen said:
that would be unfair if you just replace it. if you add it, you need to add a russian vehicle wich goes the same.

You mean the Russian would need something similar to match it, something like the T-60? ;)

OK, I know the T-60 has a 20mm cannon, but that thing has such a high velocity round that it's more like a 30mm. And it's rate of fire would be much higher than the 50mm on the Puma. And the Puma's 50mm it would have difficultly pentrating tank armor at ranges over 100m, unless it was firing APCR.

Upvote 0
The problem with adding the Puma to the game is that people would use it to ATTACK.

The Puma was never meant to attack anything, the weapon was strictly self-defense and if your higher official caught you bothering enemy armor, he'd cut your balls off. These vehicles were precious reconnaissance gems.

So yeah, it's going to be completely unrealistic unless it's in clanplay etc. I would love to have a reconnaissance vehicle on Orel(Sdkfz 222 fits better).

Upvote 0
kabex said:
The problem with adding the Puma to the game is that people would use it to ATTACK.

The Puma was never meant to attack anything, the weapon was strictly self-defense and if your higher official caught you bothering enemy armor, he'd cut your balls off. These vehicles were precious reconnaissance gems.

So yeah, it's going to be completely unrealistic unless it's in clanplay etc. I would love to have a reconnaissance vehicle on Orel(Sdkfz 222 fits better).

hmmm, i thought all of those kinds of armored cars were for the scout/reconnaisance roles.

Upvote 0
Sichartshofen said:
3 things

1. Orel is a custom map
2. New vehicles have to be modeled, skinned, animated and coded
3. The Puma wasn't available until 1944.

nothing like the "cold water" of reality, eh? ;)

Seriously though, in the same vein, there were many cool armored cars available at the time that could be modelled and skinned. they are there for the taking.

EDIT: like the SdKfz263 Command Vehicle?

Upvote 0
From another thread -->
kabex said:
Sdkfz 222 with mobile artillery calling... please please...

There are lots of people on the forum who would like to see the SdKfz 222 make it into RO:OST. I've found posts by Kabex, Saddletank, [CoFR]BooBoo, Karl Stiner and myself to name a few. I feel pride of place goes to Cool Shadow, who I think got the first post in, with skin.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6742&highlight=sdkfz

I prefer the Sdkfz 222 / 223 because it was in production for so long, finally ending early 1944. It's a good match to the BA-64, which borrowed heavily from it. It's role on the battlefield would be clearer than the heavier recce vehicles that Germany produced.

The Germans do need a scout vehicle of their own. It's needed to bring some balance to the BA-64. There will be servers with both sides using them as clown cars and there will be servers where we'll use them to reconnoitre the enemy. I know where I'll be.

PS. Give the Russians a truck to move groups of troops around, to match the German shell magnet. Sorry, I meant "half-track"

Upvote 0
kabex said:
^^
Yeah, 222 would kick ass.

I really really like it, one thing that pisses me off about the design was the wire mesh top. It's just ugly, it doesn't belong on a German AFV. Just bad.

If it had a hard-top, it would be one of my fav AFVs. It just looks very cheap/vulnerable.

I guess your talking about the anti-grenade netting. I know if was fitted, but I don't know if it was fitted to all the ones produced

Upvote 0