• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Angling tanks in Real Life?

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
Does anybody know if tanks being angled were ever a real tactic in WWII?

I've read on these forums that they did (for the same reasons we do), and I've also read that they didn't as it exposed the tracks, which could lead to immobile tanks...Though I would prefer an immobile tank to being dead myself.

However there are situations where you woulden't do it, for example if you were facing multiple enemy tanks (and obviously had more tanks on your side) in a line abreast formation you woulden't angle your tank but keep it straight on, as then if you angle your exposing more of your flank to a tank further down the line.

Anyone who's played Orel with some teamwork going on will have noticed this. Of course in 1 on 1 angling is highly recommended.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Though I would prefer an immobile tank to being dead myself.
So you'd rather be a sitting duck then..?

But talking of angling as doctrine, I doubt modern armies teach it...

ALso in WW2, I doubt tank-crew 'remembered' to angle their tanks in an engagement :rolleyes: because it was more like first to hit gets the kill!

Its impossible to model every scenario that can disable a tank, destroy it or force the crew to evacuate it. Thats why its normally 2 shot kills, or instakills on vulnerable spots.

If a tank filled with toxic smoke from even the smallest of impacts, explosions or malfuntions, then the crew would exit it pretty darn quick!! Leaving behind a 'destroyed' tank if you like!

So basically in this game, one should master angling to survive at ALL times or you'd be one frustrated tanker! ;)

Upvote 0
Well the fact that all of todays modern tanks haven't fought each other makes a difference. I mean the M1AI in Desert storm was taking out the t-72 at 4000M with one shot, and no Abrams was taken out by an enemy tank. I'm thinking it's not used today just because you need to get the first shot off to secure a kill. But i'm not an expert so w/e. Why let the enemy tank get a chance to knock out your treads when you can kill him first.

Upvote 0
Dheepan said:
Well the fact that all of todays modern tanks haven't fought each other makes a difference. I mean the M1AI in Desert storm was taking out the t-72 at 4000M with one shot, and no Abrams was taken out by an enemy tank. I'm thinking it's not used today just because you need to get the first shot off to secure a kill. But i'm not an expert so w/e. Why let the enemy tank get a chance to knock out your treads when you can kill him first.

Well with the automatic target tracking while on the move, I don't think the gunner has to necessarily wait for the tank to angle. I mean, how long does it take to quickly turn your tank angled.

Once I spot an enemy, I turn angled then stop. It takes an extra second. After the first shot, if the enemy is still alive, then I'll tweak the angle, but I usually get it pretty well the first time. And I have no military training.

I'm also surprised to hear that it was trained, but the drivers usually forgot during battle. Then what's the point of training? Soldiers don't forget to hit dirt when they hear a loud bang. I read on Darwin awards of a 2nd Leut that decided to suddenlty come at one of his soldiers with a knife to test their reaction... a soldier armed with a loaded rifle. The soldier's training prevailed, and the 2nd Leut died.

Anyways, I was talking about WWII era tank combat, not modern warfare.

Upvote 0