• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shovel & Knife & Foxholes

I think that we should have a combat knife. When you have your rifle or pistol you can't use your combat knife. But if someone shoots the rifle out of your hands or if you simply drop your rifle you will get your knife so you can protect yourself. When your weapon is shot out it automatically switches to the knife, and not your grenades, this will prevent the suicide nade thing. The russians will get a completely different combat knife than the bayonet, but the germans will only get their bayonet knife. If it is possible in this game, if the kar had the bayo on it and it is shot out of your hands, you won't have a combat knife because it would be on your rifle, if you don't attach the bayonet and you lose your rifle, then you will get a knife.

Upvote 0
"You don't ALWAYS carry around your handy shovel!"

Not that I could care less about shovels (entrenching or e-tools) one way or the other but they were standard issue to every infnatry soldier and many carried then right on their web gear let alone their packs. The Germans in particular used the shovel for close combat and when going on patrols shovels were often brought long for no otehr reason than Close combat. But why bother as you already have a melee attack? It's not like you are going to drop your 5' long rifle and bayonet to grab your 18" shovel. though it might come in handy for a gunner.

Regarding digging foxholes, I guessing many here never had to even dig a hole in their life let alone a foxhole. zthey'd know how long anythiong like that would take.

Upvote 0
M.C.Darkness said:
Well actually soldiers used shovels to kill in ww2. Shovels were usually sharpened to kill enemies. Watch Stalingrad, a German kills a badly burned Russian with a shovel in one of the early scenes of the movie.

I have that movie "Jag schitte" or something

He shits on her pants and other guy said we all do.

Lol

EDIT: Little scary guy as hes burned

Upvote 0
The shovel is laced/snapped to their packs. I'm by no means familiar with WWII German army gear, but if it's anything like some of the other stuff I've seen trying to take that tool out in the middle of the firefight would end up either getting you stranded, or getting you killed. You can forget about instantly yanking it out to whack a stranger with, unless you have the Arm of Zeus.

Upvote 0
odin1899 said:
Interesting sentence building ;-).

The ability to make foxholes would need deformable terrain of some sort and that's pretty difficult with an outdated engine RO currently runs on.

Actually, at least one UT2k4 modification had deformable terrain...

I suggest the ability to throw your helmet as in "Saving Private Ryan" :p

Upvote 0
I think my points still remain

It would take more time to loosen a shovel from a pack or belt than to whack somone with a rifle butt.

I could not take seriously people running around in circles whacking each other with shovels. I'm sorry i just couldn't.

Melee fights need to be improved, if you were that close it would be a bit less dificult than it is in game to hit a guy with a bayonet or butt. Too often you miss and they shoot you or they manage to bash you after they've turned around.

Upvote 0
the interactive shovel would be an intersting tidbit to add in. but anyone thought about punching? when a weapon is shot out of your hand, you ususally have nothing left in it. the damage ratios would be kind of hard to factor in realistically, but its just an idea to build on

oh and btw, kind of off topic, but is there logic behind dropping all of the ammo with a gun when it is shot out of your hand? ive never quite understood it and it gets REALLY annoying after a while.:mad: maybe only dropping the ammo when you drop the gun manually

Upvote 0
I too don't understand why people don't notice that the player models carry a shovel/entrenching tool. Germans (and I think Russians) have their shovels with them. Klappspaten! :D

Another point, just because it was in DOD is no reason to bash a suggestion. People act as though every other game is an abomination; there are plenty of good ideas to be found in the "arcadey" shooters.

Upvote 0
I was a Russian Sapper on Stalin-Kessel today. I managed to sneak in to the office clear out the defenders. I chucked my satchel over the side to take out the close N-RY wall.Generally made a nuisience with my smg and dropped my grenades out the window on some germans running by, I was down to my last clip when a german came in and deprived me of my last 20 shots. His gun fell into geomentry and I could not retrieve it. 2 more germans came in about 2 minutes later and I was reduced to running in circles around them hoping theyd tk each other, at least with a knife or shovel I would have been able to realistically stab or bash em both.

Upvote 0
Somian said:
UE2 supports deformable terrain, in UT2004 there were two mutators adding this feature. there was a weapon bombin holes in terrain- there are only some problems:
  • The lightmap does not change
  • static meshes will float in air xD
  • players will get stuck in too small holes.
:(

idd, but the weapon that could bomb holes in the terrain was pretty good, for 1 or 2 shots, maybe if the deformable terrain isn't near a static mesh and there could be only a small amount of deformation. But it would all be too much work for such a small thing

Upvote 0