• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Commander could push soldiers to battle

SYS49152

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 3, 2006
Dear RO Team,

things to make the commander role a bit more interesting:

1. Commander vote - commander can be voted before and during a map (mutiny feature) round like in battlefield 2 (which as a game, sucks, btw :mad:).

2. Give the commanders sth. like a megaphone - so he can yell at camping players that should be on the offensive. :p

3. Come on, we want those airstrikes :)

4. Let the commander not only draw a rally point on the map, but also arrows for the main attacks/defenses. I guess we need only symbols for: Hold Position, Attack Position and Arrows.

Well, all nice to have features in my mind. Just to add to the atmosphere.

ALL IN ALL: BEST WW2 GAME EVER. :D

Keep up the nice work!

Regards,

SYS49152

--
LOAD "$",8
LOADING ...
READY.
LIST

haha! then i would become a russian commander and just working with the Germans in odessa forcing the Russians into an open area where they would become mowed down in heaps like they where in the Finnish forset outside Lake Ladoga... Muhahahahaha

seriously, It could change the tide of the battle and it could end into a massacre.

Upvote 0
1. Personally I am not in favour of voting players into a role, although being able to vote a commander out would be nice if they are bad (i.e. don't know how to call arty)
2. In game voice chat allows you to say to a player to do something. No need for the commander to have a megaphone.
3. Eh? We have airstrikes... just not on every single map.
4. There are only a certain number of objectives, and putting a rally point on one, plus using comms to instruct players to go there should be enough, surely? How would arrows particularly help?

Upvote 0
I like the idea of being able to draw on the map. A long time ago, the "Myth" games had this feature. The map could be drawed on during a game, so it was easy for the leader to give clear directions.

Even if the objectives are clearly indicated on the map, they aren't always easy to get to. I remember finding Odessa very confusing when I started playing.

Upvote 0
the arrows could work if the commander could give every player orders. not just a general order, but like in savage or something.. in savage the commander had an overview, sure, but the commander in RO could only do this when he's close to a teammate then ;) in savage the commander clicked on a player, and could ask him this way to get resources, go defend something, or go attack something, becuz the the players are his army, only now they dont stand in a line like in regular RTS games.. to bad they didnt allways listen as good as in regular RTS games :D but then the arrows the commander draws could give the player an indication of what side to look.. imagine, being a gruppenfuhrer on stalingradkessel, and then defend the warehouse or the other building, cant remember the name right now... the one where there are 3 doors you can blow to gain entrance as russians.. you could tell people to each watch a direction, this way making sure each entrance is covered..

i smell potential

Upvote 0
About airstrikes, Nobody at the scale of the battles we have represented in game could have direct air support. Example: you pick exactly what targets they hit. Now the devs have talked about an option for the commander to call planes in, that will fly around and attempt to shoot enemies they see. But this will most likely only happen on tank maps anyway.

Upvote 0
I think the biggest implemention the commanders need is a map they can draw on, that the other players can see. Since we don't have days before each round for the commander to come up with tactics and brief all the soldiers on it, this is the only realistic way for the troops to "know" what the basic strategy is.

The others are not necessary, although a voting system might be ok. Leave that one up to a mutator though.

Upvote 0
[tR]Mad Mac said:
Excellent, anything else you would like to contribute to the discussion?
Yes, regard the following:

1124660535441.jpg

Upvote 0
You can take the discussion about male genitals elsewhere. There have been good ideas, but you're blocking it with clutter.

First of all, TW does not want anything flashing in the HUD (even the "satchel charge planted" messages could be taken out, IMO), so making the commander give you directions with flashing arrows, neon signs and disco lights is out of the question.

However!

The commander could still draw on the map like he can do now! That is a great idea! Also, if he could manually plant areas where cowards would be shot, he could really determine the course of battle. Of course he wouldn't be able to remove the existing minefields and borders, but he could make them wider.

How about placing a "you will be shot" area on top of a cowardly rifleman? "Stop camping here, or you will be shot." This sounds like a "get your butt and gear!" order. Or how about restricting a flank? "Don't go this way (or you will be shot!)" Then, in addition to drawing on the map, he could actually have a real effect on the battle without flashing screens. Even on public servers, people tend to respond to shooting and a direct threat of death.

Note that the commander wouldn't be doing the shooting, so he wouldn't get punished for TKs.

The only problem I see is that a TKer could do a lot of damage with this system,
but then, they always can. A bad commander could really screw up the game, so a voting system should be in order, and voting out a commander should be easier than in BF2.

I would also like to see a "glance at the map" option where the avatar would raise the map slightly with his left hand to cover only a portion of the screen (by pressing P for example) starting from the left hand corner. That way you could get a quick, general view without having to go to the map screen. This option could show the commander's hotspots and the nearby area or the whole map in a small size... Oh, and it would also look darn good! He might even have a compass under the thumb.

A really fancy version would be one where the map would slowly rise further the longer you pressed the button (P in the example).

Upvote 0
Oi!Oi!Oi! said:
I like the idea of being able to draw on the map. A long time ago, the "Myth" games had this feature. The map could be drawed on during a game, so it was easy for the leader to give clear directions.

Second that, Perhaps the comander could make drawings for one specific soldier or soldiers. the would be only visible for the soldiers ordered.

It would make for a lot of drawing for the commander but this would keep the different tasks seperated. This feature would require for a extremely user friendly battleplan system. it must also be very quick.

The commanders should have access to a birdseye view(roaming) of all areas where they have soldiers. un-occupied areas would not be accessable.
A little unrealistic but it would simulate intelligence reported in by frontline soldiers.

Upvote 0
fuzzylollipop said:
how about no TK penalty for Russian commanders shooting retreating soldiers! :)

lol bad idea:p we'd end up with an endless stream of tk's and then there's nothing you can do about it:p

im against any idea of restricting players in what they do. most of the time they do the things they do for a reason, and if you stop them from doing this, you might get killed thanks to that commander.
besides, most commanders ive had in pubs allready had trouble just callin gin arty... this sounds like something they'd completely feck up

Upvote 0