• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Possible Clown Car/Satchel Solution?

Hello, Isaak Johnson here, and with an idea on how to solve the whole Clown Car/Satchel combo that so many of us dont like.

Also, I did try and do a search on the forums for any similar topics but I couldn't find anything, so please forgive me if this idea has allready been suggested.

Also this is just an idea for discussion, if it comes to the conclusion that my idea wont work I suggest that we see if we came come up with some other fair ideas to solve the problem.

Ok, so far what I have heard about the Clown Car/Satchel combo is that someone with a satchel gets on top of the Clown Car and has someone else drive up to a tank, then he drops the satchel and KABOOM!!

Well I have had some experience with modeling and map making and I believe that a basic fact may help us solve this problem if it is implemented in the Unreal engine that RO uses.

In most games when a model is made, of a person or vehicle or even a static decorative object there are actually two meshes that go with it, the mesh you see with all its pretty textures and shapes, making it look like a person or a tank, then the hit box. The hit box is another mesh alltogether that is the same generall shape as the visable mesh but more boxey. This mesh is completly invisable and is what detects when the tank or person is hit by a bullet or if hes walking into a wall. This is the reason why sometimes it looks like the blood splater from your shot looks like its hitting the air next to your targets head or between his legs, but in fact it is hitting the hitbox and registers as a hit.

So far Doom 3 is the only game that I have heard of that does not use hit boxes for its models.

If the Russian Clown Car uses a hit box then that means the top of the hit box is flat and allows a player to stand firmly on top of the car, what you could do is add a slope to the hit box so that a player would slide off and not be able to stay on, sometimes if the engine allows you can add an 'ice' property to the hit box to make it slippery so the slope of the hit box wont have to be too steep.

What do you think? Does the Russian Armored Car use a hit box? If it does could this idea work to prevent any more Clown Car/Satchel combos?

Please post your suggestions and ideas and lets see if we can come up with a solid solution.

Thank you for your time.
Isaak Johnson

BA_64_ATR.jpg

It happened in real life, buddy. They should be adding to the clowncars, not taking away.

Satchel bombing is tough to do against a competent opponent. You're standing up on the roof, you're vulnerable to machinegun fire. I've had guys hit me with rifles as we were driving around.

It takes skill to pull off correctly, and coordination between bomber and driver. If people can get their stuff together enough to pull such a manuver, I think they should by all means blow up your tank.

You're wanting to remove teamwork, not build on it.

Upvote 0
But, in real life, those soldiers had to hang on. Perhaps take the surface properties so that they're a tad slippery? Not so you fall off instantly, but if you're going to fast, you're not going to be able to hang on, so the game starts to let you slide off at say...60% throttle, and it's impossible to hold on at 70% or higher?

Upvote 0
The clown car thing does need to be fixed. Personaly i like the idea of only letting people ride on top if they were moving fairly slow. But More then just that. you can spray those things down with a MG and they dont even slow down. Ok yeah they are armored to a point. and the people in it should be fairly safe. but.... those tires should be easy as hell to shoot out. I want to see clown cars get flats and slow to a crawl and handle like crap when it happens. Same with the half tracks to a point. but since they are HALF tracks only the steering should be effected by the flat. since you cant give a track a flat. The clown car should still be able to move and be faster then running with a flat but with 2 or more flats they should be very hard to go anywhere in them. that way they would still be effective vs infantry but not so much so a anti tank weapon.

Upvote 0
@ lazermane

would u be so stupid to RIDE on a tank or something IN combat DURING fighting?

i dont think so
yes in a war every vehicle takes as many soldiers with it as it can because of simple speed and logistics

but riding on something where u are clearly visible and extreemly vulnerable wont be part of a war

oh and there are lots of games that dont use hitboxes
like the cod titles

Upvote 0
LemoN said:
@ lazermane

would u be so stupid to RIDE on a tank or something IN combat DURING fighting?

i dont think so
yes in a war every vehicle takes as many soldiers with it as it can because of simple speed and logistics

but riding on something where u are clearly visible and extreemly vulnerable wont be part of a war

oh and there are lots of games that dont use hitboxes
like the cod titles
That's not true, a russian soldier's life is worth less than zero
emot-hurr.gif

I'd certainly be crazy enough to try it, and I have. So if you want to sit there and pretend you can't do the skateboard on the hood of an armored car throwing so many detpacks like slingstones into the eyes of cyclopses then you sit there and play along with your illusion. TELL ME YOU WOULD NOT DO SOMETHING THAT AWESOME TELL ME I WANT TO LAUGH

THE FRISBEE DEMOLITIONS PACK IS A WAY OF LIFE.

Upvote 0
The Russians did it in real life? Yeah, sure...

I bet they were all like, "Hey guys! Woah, I just had the craziest idea ever! Let's all take a satchel charge, stand on top of this car, drive to a German tank and bomb it! I'm sure it would work!"

I bet soldiers would be shot for even suggesting it.

Those are all pictures of PATROLLING BA-64's by the way. If you can find a photograph or a combat report of a Russian on top of a clown car doing a drive-by-satchelling, I will shut up. Until then, you're wrong.

lol@ leet paint skillz btw. ;)

Upvote 0
LazerMane said:
BA_64_10.jpg

BA_64B_3.jpg

BA_64_1.jpg

BA_64_6.jpg

Happy now Mr Stickler

OMFG this could really piss me off.:mad:

HAVE YOU EVER GONE OFF ROADING!??????

I am sorry but these pictures prove SHET.

Those guys would be falling off when that clown car roll at 40+km/hrs on a rough terrain.
Plus you have to hold on to the PTDR which is extra kilos.

Open steppes are not like most of you believ, its not a smooth field with flat grass.
The grass is at least knee high, the ground is uneven with sometimes ankle deep depressions.

I can't stand when people are so ignorant!
YOU CANNOT DRIVE A GOD DAMNED CAR AT 45 KM/H ON ROUGH GROUND, GET ON TOP OF IT WITH EITER A PTDR OR SATCHEL CHARGE AND START DESTROYING TANKS. NEVER!
END OF STORY!

Upvote 0
LazerMane, I understand what you are saying and I do believe you that it might have actually happened during the war, but what I am trying to do is not a vain attempt to reduse teamwork or sabatoge any gameplay issues.

I saw a need, the need most players had for the removal of that tactic because it is deemed unfair in the eyes of gameplay.

RO is a game and we all must remember that when looking into issues of reality, sometimes we must bend reality a little to get our desired result, espically if our desired result is one of the most realistic WWII games on the market but reataining fairness and fun for all players.

I say in a vote for gameplay and the overall benefit of the game and its players I think the whole tactic should be removed or at least made harder.

So far I'm liking the idea of making a player slip off at certain speeds, but we should see if we can come up with some other ideas so we dont have to worry about plan 'B'.

Upvote 0
lATENT_c said:
Just slow down the clown cars. There's no way a vehicle like that could move like it does in the game over broken terrain. On roads, yes, top speed - whatever. But on hills, rocks, ravines, etc., it's straight out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon how fast that thing can go.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT THOSE POLYGONS LOOK PRETTY FLAT FOR DRIVIN' ON

As it is it's hard enough to stay on top of the cars when driving them around as it is. You cannot prone on them, for it kills you. You cannot turn quickly at all because the clowncar rocks back and forth if it doesn't flip completely.

It takes a great deal of skill to even pull off one tank kill with the satchel/clowncar combo, and it takes lots of coordination with driver and bomber to do it.

It's not seen all that often from what I've seen playing on Arad servers, and that is simply because there are easier ways to kill enemy tanks. Bomb-n-run scenarios are something that you do when you don't feel like driving a tank and want to screw around.

I never said it was realistic in the first place, I was merely illustrating the fact that people rode on the OUTSIDE of the clowncar in real life. Of course no one is going to surf the hood into battle.

That doesn't stop it from being mad fun.

Upvote 0
That doesn't stop it from being mad fun.

wo wo wo, don't be jumping off a cliff now. It isn't THAT fun. It is good for a giggle, but it gets old just like anything else. Someone should make a map where there is nothing but BA's and halftracks and people can jump on top of them and just battle it out unrealistic like. I think that would satisfy most peoples cravings.

Upvote 0
I think the solution is to keep your eyes peeled and dispatch them before they get near you. The machine gun on a tank can disable them. Plus, as a tanker, if one has gotten by your MG, move outta there as quick as you can.

OR if it appears that the opposition is actually using that tactic (cause it doesnt happen all the time, quite rarely in my experience) make sure you leave spawn in pairs, so you can watch each others angles. Always have someone manning your MG. The Tigers MG can shoot at damn near 90 degrees from the front, side-to-side. You should be able to kill these things easy.

Upvote 0