• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What do you think about linear maps?

What do you think about linear maps?

• They're great! Just keep them coming!

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • I don't like them. They make the game play too limited and boring.

Votes: 22 36.7%

• Total voters

CaptRio

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2005
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
I was wondering what do you guys think about linear maps....

I think they're great, especially with "only" 32 players and an engine that allows the game to have huge maps!

They concentrate the players making the firefights longer and much more intense.

I'd like to know also, from the map makers what are their plans to the near future.

CaptRio said:
I was wondering what do you guys think about linear maps....

I think they're great, especially with "only" 32 players and an engine that allows the game to have huge maps!

They concentrate the players making the firefights longer and much more intense.

I'd like to know also, from the map makers what are their plans to the near future.

The linear maps are a proven design for this game type, so we will defenitely have some more of these in future level designs. So yeah, I like them as well, especially in a mix with other designs.

Upvote 0
One of the things I disliked about DoD was it's overabundance of linear maps.

They leave so little to the imagination and no tactics are involved. Just a massive DM game. HEllishly worse if FF=OFF:mad:

I see from the voting there ae quit a few in favour of these things. Suppose that's the price of popularity and th migration from these types of games.

Ah well , can always just leave the server when they come up (what I did with Avalanch and Anzio in DoD) or better still , if I had my own server I could just simply pull them from rotation.

Upvote 0
[CoFR]BeerHunter said:
One of the things I disliked about DoD was it's overabundance of linear maps.

They leave so little to the imagination and no tactics are involved. Just a massive DM game. HEllishly worse if FF=OFF:mad:

I see from the voting there ae quit a few in favour of these things. Suppose that's the price of popularity and th migration from these types of games.

Ah well , can always just leave the server when they come up (what I did with Avalanch and Anzio in DoD) or better still , if I had my own server I could just simply pull them from rotation.

just curious, you want to explain why you consider anzio a "linear" map? there are so many opporunities to flank and you can take objectives in any order.

an argument can be made for avalance since it's so damn hard usually to cap the last objective, but anzio is not linear by any definition

Upvote 0
DudeWheresMyTank said:
just curious, you want to explain why you consider anzio a "linear" map? there are so many opporunities to flank and you can take objectives in any order.

an argument can be made for avalance since it's so damn hard usually to cap the last objective, but anzio is not linear by any definition

Anzio : each side has 2 exits from their spawn then head either to the bridge (out of Axis spawn) or to the court yard (Allied spawn). Quit easy to choke these areas and very predictable.

But , in giving it more thought , did the original poster by "lineal" mean objects have to be taken in a specific order but can be attacked from any angle (I like) or simply that to take an objective there is only one or two routes that can be followed (is in DoD Caen , Anzio , Avalanch etc.) which is what I really don't care that much for.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with SasQuatch. For 32 players max linear maps (Odessa, Konigs, Baskova) work really well because they concentrate the fighting and never make you feel alone or lost. Keep in mind that linear maps don't have to mean just one route to the objective! On KonigsPlatz for example the map is spread out enough that you can flank the enemy but the capzones are still in a perfectly straight line.

CaptRio said:

I'm currently working on a linear combined arms map called RO-LeningradStreets. All the fighting occurs along one main road (Nevsky Prospect, 6 lanes wide) with quite a few enterable buildings on each side. To cut down on the linear feel of the map while still keeping the fighting concentrated I have my objectives in a zig-zag pattern that forces players to constantly cross the street. Additionally the objectives are on different height levels (roof, basements, 3rd floor, etc.) to keep things fresh. I'm hoping to start a new thread with screenshots and a big description in the Level Design forum this weekend, stay tuned. :cool:

Upvote 0
DrGuppy said:
I'm currently working on a linear combined arms map called RO-LeningradStreets. All the fighting occurs along one main road (Nevsky Prospect, 6 lanes wide) with quite a few enterable buildings on each side. To cut down on the linear feel of the map while still keeping the fighting concentrated I have my objectives in a zig-zag pattern that forces players to constantly cross the street. Additionally the objectives are on different height levels (roof, basements, 3rd floor, etc.) to keep things fresh. I'm hoping to start a new thread with screenshots and a big description in the Level Design forum this weekend, stay tuned. :cool:

Wow! Sounds great mate!! Cant wait to see the first screenshots :)

Upvote 0
Non-linear maps can really hurt some games. Battlefield 1942 / Vietnam are prime examples. When your team is obviously clicking, and you push your way to the enemy's front door, how does it seem to make sense that a single player sneaking around back should be able to capture points 'behind' your line of attack?

Now of course having some freedom to do things is important for variety, but having the fighting strictly on the 'front' makes it more entertaining and keeps everyone in the same place, rather than spread out across a map too thinly.

Upvote 0
DrGuppy said:

Man that map sounds great! I can see machine gun nests reeking havok on a confined map like that and snipers having a sudden abundancy of ideas. I want a thread on it NOW!

Upvote 0
Linear/Non-linear whatever really. For me a great map is one with recappable objectives. They ALL don't have to be recappable, but a key one or two recappable objectives can really make a map shine. The difficulty in designing these maps however seems to be avoiding constant stalemates. I think Kaukasus is a very well designed map because the Back Route is recappable. It leads to some really interesting counterattacks for the defenders and an aspect of defense for the attackers. Stalingrad Kessel is a great map for much of the same reason. The attackers have to be able to hold the Warehouse while coordinating an attack of the North Railyards and/or Assembly Hall.

Upvote 0