• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tell me what's wrong, win a cookie.

Reise

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006
Maine, US
Getting a bit tired of having constant 25 fps and under. I'll post what I've done to try and help, and let you guys tell me what else I need to do. This PC has run other newer games at twice the framerate so I know it's not my hardware.

Specs:
-GeForce 6600GT 128mb
-2.4ghz AMD Athlon xp2700+
-1gb ram
-80gb sata HD
-Onboard sound

So far to try and get RO to perform better I have:
-Tweaked the .ini file according to this site, and tweakguides
-Changed the graphics settings in-game to as low as possible (no drastic change)
-Defragged steam
-Changed sound settings in-game
-Reinstalled latest drivers
-Reinstalled Directx 9.0c (the recent June 2006 release)
-Ate pizza
-Changed the renderer in-game to direct 3D from 9.0
-Had a tantrum
-Yelled at my monitor

If anyone can help me make this fantastic game run like it should, over 30fps everywhere, I will be greatly thankful.

onboard sound is defininitely a killer. the ac97 chip is a huge resource hog.

Ive noticed that due to the fact that Roost models bullets instead of using conventional ray casting, you will get a lot slower frame rates than with most games. For example I play oblivion with HDr lighting, and get as good if not better frame rates that Roost with high settings.

It's probably a combo of your onboard soundcard sucking resources like a cheap hooker, and your older processor.

for comparison purposes...
my rig is a
p4 2.8ghz
1 gig ddr 400 3200mhz ram
1 visiontek radeon x1300 video card with 512 ddr3 ram
80 gig ide hard drive
sound blaster 24 bit live card.
I play Roost with 1024X768 res on high settings.

getting a sound card will probably help, but its my guess that its your processor thats holding you back. All of the bullets from those crazy soviets with their 71 round mags will kill framerates and eat your processor alive

Upvote 0
I tried the beta filesystem, it did nothing for my FPS, it only improved my loading times.. But I have gotten a old bug back again, the infinite connection bug :p (to online servers) :p

To get the beta add this into your stema shortcut: clientbeta newfs –beta fs

be aware that it is a beta and could mess up all of steam so you have to redownload all games and whatnot

ps. I seem to have really good FPS at ALL maps when there are no PLAYERS there, but when there are lots of players fighting, the fps goes down :( same for you?

Upvote 0
well as someone mentioned earlier, the fact that RO models every single bullet is a huge resource hog... ive noticed my fps drop markedly when someone is firing their russian smg...
maby a sollution would be to only model the bullets from machineguns and cannons, and doing the others in the good 'ol ray casting?
that would certainly keep the fps more consistant...
i do however get a significant fps drop as soon as more than one player is visible... or large areas are visible... and lowering the settings doesnt help... i also tried using d3d instead of d3d9, but that did nothing...

Upvote 0
Well I added the beta command line and let steam verify RO and everything over again. Now it's giving me the generic "RedOrchestra.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." stuff.

Do I need to reinstall steam now? lol. :rolleyes:

Also, something came up so I didn't get a chance to install the sound card yet, will do that ASAP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0