• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Artillery grid calling.

would be several ways to do it. Like goggles would still be more precise and grid calling would just randomly spread the strike in the grid or you could just place the strike like you do with map markers now. many possibilities. i just think when you have the map and teh radio.... its not very relaistic to be forced to be within visual range to put coordinats on a pice of paper and then hike back to the radio.

All I can say I loved that vietnam system.

Upvote 0
I like using the binocs in RO, though it would definitely be alot easier by simply designating a grid point with the mouse (as in VC). Perhaps too easy though, especially for those really good KOs and Grups out there (you know who you are). Binocs make it somewhat of a challenge to lay down really good arty.

Used to play CtF in VC for hours at a time, loved it :)

Nothing quite matches the thrill of running around as a VC sapper with a double barreled shotgun and setting traps in the bushes hehe.

Upvote 0
Dizzy said:
Yeah its in Vietcong, only good thing about that game :rolleyes:

excatly, i woud love it when it woud be the same way as in vietcong, your player, puts a map out from his pocket and you set the artillery cordinates there and give them over the radio, that woud be great.and in vietcong, it was very hard to tell on night settings on your smaller maps, where the positons are, that was the best feature! You had to stand under a light (try to find a light, in a dark jungel!), at least in the game at night there was always full moon, so you where possible to find some lighted places, but still it was tricky to read/set cordinates.

Upvote 0
though the system ingame feels clumsy (no offense) and not intuitive, as in vietcong. No idea how they done in WW2 realy (usual with planes over the battlefield, in larger battles, and special vehicles with radios for obeserving?).

but for a game, there have to be things sacrificed, notheless, i woud wish to be able to set artillery in front of the radio over the map so i can call it in a shorter time, the disadvantage from it woud be, that you have no clue about enemy movings! (which woud make even more use for high positions and/or a good spotter)

Upvote 0
Yoshiro said:
Well our system is taken from the standard WWII methods (and modified to work ingame).

IE: Coordinates are marked (we use the binocs for this), and then called in (by radio), and the barage begins.

The spread and ammo used is set by the mapper following some real world spread and arty peices.

No way the way it works in game is near as realistic as a map. A map with target reference points would be far more realistic because that was how it was actually done, not just by pointing your view at an area.

Besides that, I have been asking for binoc designation to be removed for a while now because it is way too accurate. You aren't giving the arty a general reference point, you are aiming at an exact point on the ground.

So it is less like using WWII arty and more like lasing a target with a designator.

Using a map with TRPS would:

1. Take more time, hence more realism

2. Require of the player to estimate what grid enemies are in, using landmarks. This is also more realistic and requires more skill than just pointing at the enemy players and clicking. You would have to determine what grid they were in.

3. It would prevent you from inadvertently setting arty points while you are just trying to use your binocs.

4. It would be less precies, thereby more realistic. I.e. no more using arty to take out single tanks like a smart bomb.

5. It would "feel" more realistic to have to look at a TRP map, i.e. increase immersion.

6. It would allow other players to request arty at a specific area quickly (how has no one brought this up yet!?) instead of laboriously trying to communicate to the NCO player through chat where to put it. E.G. "put arty on the house! No the left house! No...not that one...the one by the tractor! What, you do see the tractor right?...."

Using the binocs offers none of these advantages, and is unrealistic anyway.

Upvote 0

I think that implementing a Command vehicle, such as a armoured car, light tank, or Half track fixed with a radio in which the commander can use to drive around the battlefield and call in artillery.

Command vehicles would oversee the battle and armor movements, direct infantry, and supply ammo, as well as transport and defend and attack.

The Germans always had one tank with the commanding officer in the field, and can support infantry attacks with well placed artillery.

Just a thought...

Upvote 0
Such command vehicles were usually higher up in the TOE though, they wouldn't be at the scale we see in RO, maybe only very rarely.

The system with radios currently is fine. It's just the binoc designation system really needs to go, it's no more realistic than the one used in CoD:UO.

Upvote 0
well atm you dont really need to see your target you just have to have a clear los and a certain knowldge of the map. Just point your binoculars into the mist and click the mark spot button. Then check ur map where the artillery is set and re use binculars accoringly.

My personal favorite is to use the artillery between enemy spawn and the closest cap point. i never put it on the cap point as hey we are suposed to take it after all. Placing artillery inbetween the fastest route like this does not always ressult in kills but greatly indreases the time the enemy spends running to teh cap point. Often they wont even bother running around they willl just wait until it stops. which buys my team loads of time.

but now i am almost derailing.
Personally I feel that this issue can be handled in 2 ways. 1 is saying no we will keep artilelry as it is to keep a form of balance. Maps like konings plats would suffer greatly from grid bombardment as they would just put it inside the middle ruin and splatter people making it even harder. fact is that unlike vietcong in RO spotting the enemy is extremly easy and there is little to none in the way of protection from artillery. Infact I personally belive that its way to easy to spot infantry at long range. On certain maps you can mg people from like 500-1000 meters.

the other way is to test it out. if not to hard to implement.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with Jack on this feature. There's a 0% chance at the moment to get away from artillery in a stopped tank. They simply point at you with the binoculars, go to a radio, and even if you step on the gas the instant you hear the artillery coming in you will still die. Not really a priority to change the whole system but as a temporary fix I would like to see increased spread at least on tank maps.

Upvote 0
It boils down to if you want realism, then binoc designation has to go. It's just too accurate.

The precision you can get currently with arty is better than with real life GBUs, which then makes it into a gameplay issue. I hate sitting in a tank in a good position then getting taken out by an arty strike meant just for me.

Upvote 0
Jack said:
It boils down to if you want realism, then binoc designation has to go. It's just too accurate.
The precision you can get currently with arty is better than with real life GBUs, which then makes it into a gameplay issue. I hate sitting in a tank in a good position then getting taken out by an arty strike meant just for me.

yeah, that is a bit frustrating. if it's happened to me once, it's happened 30 times; sitting in the south field on Arad, destroying any enemy armor coming my way (to the point of near running out of ammo many times), and I get a personal IUO from the last dude I killed, who either switched classes at the last death to re-spawn as commander and arty me, or, bugged his commander to take me out.

not very realisitic, eh? ;)

Upvote 0
Some tankers may hate artilelry but i feel soemitmes thats the only way to take out a tank. At longer ranges its basically impossible to take out a hull down tank. That north and south bank map is one such map. I can hull down behind either axis or russian wooden bunker around peninsula and stay hull down while picking off enemy tanks until i run out of ammo or until artilelry takes me out.

Upvote 0