• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A question for devs regrading AA,AF

fire4effect

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006
Hey I have a question for you guys,

Since ROOST came out I've basically had to force AA and AF on my video card to make this game look pretty, it's mostly to get rid of the "blurring" and jaggies. Well, if I don't reboot once after 4-5 startups of ROOST I always get a blue screen telling me that windows halted action so not to damage the hardware etc. No damage is ever done, at least to my knowledge.

Basically my point is that turning on all this AF and AA gets to be really annoying especially when you just want to jump in and play a couple of rounds. I have to turn it off as well when I'm done playing. It's just annoying micro-managment. So I was wondering if any sort of AA or AF options are planned to be implemented in ROOST at some point? Is there some sort of engine limitation or something that has already prevented you guys from doing this?

When playing the mod the graphics were top notch in regardess to the absence of the above issues, I never had to force anything on my vid card prior to firing that up. With ROOST the graphics are basically the same (in a good way) but I have to do extra work now to get it looking good. By no means will it stop me from playing RO, but it would be nice to set the AA and AF options in game once and for all and not have to worry about arming it before hand everytime I want to play.

Anyone else have to do the samething?

And by the way.....congrats devs over the last couple of months since ROOST came out this is basically the only game I play now, nothing else keeps my attention. I have another quick question for you, but if it's "private" than I understand if you can't really give the info out.

But I was wondering how many copies of RO would you say you sell in a day/week??

Set a profile in yer GFX drivers options (i know Nvidia has it, i would think ATI do too) I have my AA and AF off by default, but everytime i load RO it kicks in 4x AA and 4x AF just like the custom profile tells it too.

You can do it for any game, all mine have a custom profile setup with preferred AA/AF settings - no extra management or mouseclicks needed beyond setting it up :)

EDIT: Took me exactly 20 seconds after i took this pic to finish making a whole new one for RO. Give it a whirl...(im sure ATI has a similar profile feature given the competition with Nvidia these days)
profiles.jpg

Upvote 0
fire4effect said:
Hey I have a question for you guys,

Since ROOST came out I've basically had to force AA and AF on my video card to make this game look pretty, it's mostly to get rid of the "blurring" and jaggies. Well, if I don't reboot once after 4-5 startups of ROOST I always get a blue screen telling me that windows halted action so not to damage the hardware etc. No damage is ever done, at least to my knowledge.

Basically my point is that turning on all this AF and AA gets to be really annoying especially when you just want to jump in and play a couple of rounds. I have to turn it off as well when I'm done playing. It's just annoying micro-managment. So I was wondering if any sort of AA or AF options are planned to be implemented in ROOST at some point? Is there some sort of engine limitation or something that has already prevented you guys from doing this?

When playing the mod the graphics were top notch in regardess to the absence of the above issues, I never had to force anything on my vid card prior to firing that up. With ROOST the graphics are basically the same (in a good way) but I have to do extra work now to get it looking good. By no means will it stop me from playing RO, but it would be nice to set the AA and AF options in game once and for all and not have to worry about arming it before hand everytime I want to play.

Anyone else have to do the samething?

And by the way.....congrats devs over the last couple of months since ROOST came out this is basically the only game I play now, nothing else keeps my attention. I have another quick question for you, but if it's "private" than I understand if you can't really give the info out.

But I was wondering how many copies of RO would you say you sell in a day/week??
Blur? Disable HDR Bloom.
Still blurry? Select Direct3D instead of Direct3D 9.0 as your renderer. ;)

Now it will look like the Red Orchestra mod, only with better textures, better models en much better detailtextures all while it's running faster than the mod! ;)

Upvote 0
zaNe said:
Wolfsglen, how does that card run for you? I've just bought one online and its about to be shipped, I bought the 6800XT version, is the 6800 normal running well for you, in RO that is.

Works great for me - i use 2 of them in SLI, but even when i disable SLI and use a single 6800 i get 50+ fps in RO with all details (except blur) completely maxed...surprised me really since it is the basic one. Your XT version should give you even better FPS.

Upvote 0
You can edit the AF in your RedOrchestra.ini file (Located at C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\<your account name>\red orchestra\System).

Open it up and scroll down to the rendering section you use (for instance, I use Direct 3D 9 as my render device, so for me its '[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]')

Look for the line "LevelOfAnisotropy=0" and change the zero to 4 or 8 (Depending on your video card...I have a 256MB GeFroce 6800GS and it handles 8 with no problem)

Once I did this, I found that weapon models looks far better. Whereas with the ansiotropy level set at zero, the weapons looked very blurry at their far end, higher levels mean you get better detail further away from your viewpoint.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip Wolfsglen, I have tried that before, it was actually the first thing I tried to set up right when ROOST came out. But for some reason my ati control center presets/profiles sometimes worked and sometimes didn't so I gave that method up, very weird.

And SgtH3nry3 it's not blur just created by HDR Bloom, it goes beyond that, but like I said it can be easily fixed.

Conscript I'll look into your tips.

Upvote 0
Wolfsglen said:
Works great for me - i use 2 of them in SLI, but even when i disable SLI and use a single 6800 i get 50+ fps in RO with all details (except blur) completely maxed...surprised me really since it is the basic one. Your XT version should give you even better FPS.

Actually, the 6800 XT is worse than a regular 6800. The regular has 12 pixel pipelines but the XT only has 8. It is confusing as ATI's premium cards are XTs but nVidia's budget cards are also called XTs.

ATI: SE < regular < PRO < GTO < XL < XT < XT PE or XTX
nVidia : LE or XT < GS or regular < GT < GTX

I might be missing one or two tags and there might be a few cases were this hierarchy is a bit off, but that is the general way it works.

Upvote 0
I have 4x AA and AF running on a 6600GT with 40+ fps, smooth as hell anyway, so guessing that 6800 XT will be slightly better at least.

TUCO: 0 AA vs 4x AA should be one hell of a difference, do you use Nvidia or ATI?

EDIT: Did a quick search and found this http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_accuview.html
With 1024x768 and 4x AA you should basically have no jagged edges at all, be it on your weapon model or anything else. Dunno if you need AF x 4 for it to be really effective, haven't tested since I have both on always...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anti Aliasing smooths out the jagged edges of the game. Ansiotropic Filtering keeps details high even at long distances.

I tried to get some before and after shots but for some reason the screenshots came out with jagged edges anyway - in game, my edges were all smoothed out. These shots do however, show the vast different the 'LevelOfAnisotropy' edit that I posted can make.

First shot is taken with LevelOfAnisotropy=0. Notice on the weapon model how the forestock and all aras furthest from the player are blurry and indistinct.

Pic 1

Second shot was taken with LevelOfAnisotropy=8. Now you can see that the weapon textures are sharp even at a distance. This can also be noticed to an extent on the terrain, to an extent.

Pic 2

Upvote 0
Wolfsglen said:
Set a profile in yer GFX drivers options (i know Nvidia has it, i would think ATI do too) I have my AA and AF off by default, but everytime i load RO it kicks in 4x AA and 4x AF just like the custom profile tells it too.

I've tried doing this with my 7800gtx. Using the settings, 8xS for AA and 16x for AF. I always crash to dektop with a general protection error within 30min... It does look much better, and easier to aim at long ranges, until it crashes though.

Upvote 0
Im running a Ati 9800 pro 128mb card and i cant run with AF on at all because of some weird graphics issue regarding furry lines all over the place.

It is especially bad on maps with tracks like arad etc, its just unbearable, but i can run AAx4 no problems...would like to be able to use AF, but it just aint viable atm for some reason.

Upvote 0