• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How is RO?

BiOhAzZaRd88

Jun 6, 2006
I am a big fan of WWII shooters and the more realistic the better. I have just recently heard of this game and was wondering a few things.

1. Are there many people online playing or would i have to really search for a decently populated game.

2. graphics and realistic wise. i have just finished the WW2 Battleground Europe online shooter and was not impressed with any part of the game. I've seen screen shots of this game and it looks nice but i would like to hear personal comments on the game.

yea thats really it... dont know why i numbered them.

anyway any comments appreciated. thank you.

Red Orchestra has no where the size of larger market games ie CSS, BF2, COD2

that being said there's always a server to join (RO Ost netcode is orgasmic and i, from NA, dont notice lag on Euro servers).

graphics are not close to cutting edge but IMO in no way do the graphics detract from the experience. Realism... wait for a realism junkie to give you a better opinion. for the most part i think its pretty realistic; bullet travel time, bullet drop, no Xhairs only ironsights, one shot kills for the most part...

if you like a quick paced guns blazing jumping in and out of things kind of gameplay.... Red Orchestra is probably not for you. if you're looking forward to a less forgiving atmosphere where a rifle shot out of the blue will drop you, then give it a whirl.

Upvote 0
I must warn you though in some areas the realism doesnt go far enough imho tanks possibly allthough the patch is said to fix alot of tank issues. But overall i say give it a whirl it has some serious issues but hey its the only game i've played since it came out so it has alot going for it.

Upvote 0
the question is, if you search something that is "more" realistic then the most comon ww2 shoters, or somewhat "hard-core" realistic.

infact, at the same time, that this game is realy realistic, it lacks somewhat heavy in realism. You can notice that strongest, when you use the MG again riflemens and there is still no effect when you get hit, im sure you can read some of this issues when you search trough the forum.

But, with the new patch around the corner and the already existing realism, this game is one of the best ww2 online shoters. That for sure.

its just not that realistic, how some maybe think :rolleyes:

oh, i forgot, to say, that maybe (but thats preference and opinion) there coud be a touch more variations in gameplay (its basicaly, 90% of the time shooting and caping objectives, well most public games end that way, but that was at least for me, never realy a issue)

Upvote 0
Unless you are shot in the foot/arms/hands/legs only once (only one round hits), torso/head shot shouldl kill one hit, you should be going down from an mg.

If you can show us an event like that happening when it should not happen let us know and we will fix it. I have heard over the past few days some people can shoot others and the head and they will survive, however on my internal testing on a complete lag free situation every round killed in one hit. To say it again, if you find areas of RO that are not realistic and can reproduce it on demand (and they aren't an engine limitation such as penitration of world objects) let us know!

Upvote 0
the problem with me is that alot of bullets hit everywhere with an mg but the target while 1 shot of a rifle would have certain killed the person i'm aiming for. Even on singleshot with the mg34 against a rifleman you're kinda dead :p. Sure there are people that are really good with the mg, but still those tracers kinda ruin the weapon everybody immediately knows where the mg is. And can easilly pop him down. The problem is tracers give away your position and give you nothing in return its not the tracers enemies are scared of its the blurring of their screen. Your team doesn't care now if you had no tracers mgs would be a whole other thing.

Upvote 0
Zetsumei said:
the problem with me is that alot of bullets hit everywhere with an mg but the target while 1 shot of a rifle would have certain killed the person i'm aiming for. Even on singleshot with the mg34 against a rifleman you're kinda dead :p. Sure there are people that are really good with the mg, but still those tracers kinda ruin the weapon everybody immediately knows where the mg is. And can easilly pop him down. The problem is tracers give away your position and give you nothing in return its not the tracers enemies are scared of its the blurring of their screen. Your team doesn't care now if you had no tracers mgs would be a whole other thing.
RO's truly great. I love it, and I think you'd love it too.

Zetsumei, its rather easy. Just keep moving around. When I'm an MG, I just keep moving, like a kill in one spot, then move to a new one. Except, in the case of a place like a choke point street corner, just stay there, as there is usually a constant flow of enemy traffic to hack away at.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro said:
Unless you are shot in the foot/arms/hands/legs only once (only one round hits), torso/head shot shouldl kill one hit, you should be going down from an mg.

If you can show us an event like that happening when it should not happen let us know and we will fix it. I have heard over the past few days some people can shoot others and the head and they will survive, however on my internal testing on a complete lag free situation every round killed in one hit. To say it again, if you find areas of RO that are not realistic and can reproduce it on demand (and they aren't an engine limitation such as penitration of world objects) let us know!

ah, sorry for that error from my side, what i meant, more was that your aim get not thrown off, when you are hit in a not deadly spot (arm, leg etc.) it happens just way to often, that you hit someone, but he kills you cause the hit does no effect on his aiming, which is a heavy issue when you use a Mg/mp again a riflemen, while we all know that the rifles have a "hit evry pixel" accuracy. The other problems with the MG, is the lack of bulletpentration, pop shoting, and that you can shot even though only your helmet is visible.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro said:
Well, I'm no war veteran or anything but I seriously doubt you'd still be able to go on fighting like nothing happened if you got hit in the arms or legs from a machine gun. I've been hit many times in these areas by mg's without going down, and then just go prone and bullseye the poor mg with my rifle. This imho shouldn't happen.

Even if the shot doesn't put you out of commission, a hit in the arm should atleast severaly increase the weapon sway for a short period of time, like the slowdown that happens with legshots.

Upvote 0
This game is THE most "realistic" WWII FPS on the market at this time.

You can complain about how certain parts aren't realistic, but I defy you to name ONE other WWII game that is more realistic in terms of infantry weapons. WWIIOL has more accurately modelled tanks, but to be honest, Tanks are pretty new to RO, and I have confidence that once they get the game mechanics ironed out, they will be pretty close to perfect.

WWIIOL is the ONLY other game that comes as close to realism as RO:OST does. Unfortunately, WWIIOL is one of those games that needs a design staff of 500, when they only have 5. The game itself is incomplete, and needs a LOT of work. Unfortunately, they can't seem to finish the game, which leads to a lot of gameplay flaws being VERY slowly addressed.

RO:OST is a complete game, and the issues you encountered in WWIIOL are not found here. (I'm a long time vet of both games)

Upvote 0