• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank ignition kill switch?

komet

Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2006
I know the topic of "tank stealing" has been brought up(other definitions) in this forum already. There are many solutions, but none really designed to discourage it completely.
For us solo tankers, why can't the RO techs design a binding key that prevents
a tankjacker from driving away by "killing" the ignition, so to speak? The occupant of the tank at the time of the tankjacking can simply toggle a keyboard
letter or number, simply confounding and discouraging the thief. Of course, this would be an option, but it would surely keep away the noobs and abusers, and you wouldn't have to worry about a bot driving away. Sure, the bot command to
"get out" works, but the kill switch would be easier and much more effective.

Comments?

Tak said:
As to 'tank-stealing', it isn't 'your' tank. Sorry. But, the poor horse is in tatters, so lets leave him alone, please? :)

Hey Tak,

I suppose a "user-optional feature" would be too much to ask? Unless you're an
admins who has the power in the server to automatically kick someone off, I guess you don't really care. As for the rest of us who have to rely on the parameters of the game, this feature would be welcome.

Upvote 0
So far there hasn't been a logical counterpoint to my idea. I'm not surprised. As for "my tank", it's my tank when I'm using it in the game. If I kill a group of friendlies with it, THEN it's MY tank, right guys? So, for the lame opposition offered from those on this thread, I suggest you enlighten me, and others in favor, as to why it should not be implemented. Please be original and also explain why human idiots should be able to drive away in your tank without them asking you to do so in the first place.

Upvote 0
komet said:
So far there hasn't been a logical counterpoint to my idea. I'm not surprised. As for "my tank", it's my tank when I'm using it in the game. If I kill a group of friendlies with it, THEN it's MY tank, right guys? So, for the lame opposition offered from those on this thread, I suggest you enlighten me, and others in favor, as to why it should not be implemented. Please be original and also explain why human idiots should be able to drive away in your tank without them asking you to do so in the first place.

It's not your tank. It's the team's tank. This isn't BF2, we have a little thing called teamwork in RO. So get off your high horse, and learn to play the game like it was meant to be played.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you actually have taken your tank out into the combat area, it is VERY unlikely that some lone tanker will have walked all the way out in the open field just to take your vehicle.

However, most solo tankers dont do this. They find a hull-down spot near the spawn (because driving by yourself long distances is hazardous) and camp.

Then, they end up having someone walking out to them and occupy the drivers position of their vehicle, BECAUSE ALL THE TANKS ARE USED UP BY SOLO TANKERS!

Upvote 0
komet said:

Because idiots in the traditional sense of the word are a minority on RO servers. You - as in solo tankers - are the real cause of problems. Maybe once or twice have I got a moron to drive or gun "my" tank. Maybe it is, that everytime I use a tank I wait in the spawn for someone to be my gunner.

Upvote 0
Comrade Wasabi said:
It's the teams tank which you are using. If you're using it well, good, I hope nobody ****s up what you've got. If you're soloing then please, either leave the server or don't ***** when people try and get some teamwork going.

Yeah, hand't checked this in a while because like I said, that poor horse has been dug up for the satisfaction of more than a few egomaniacs more than a few times, but the quoted states all the argument that is needed to counter all these 'pro-solo' ideas.

You don't 'win' this game by sitting your happy self on the other side of the field. You may certainly *help* your TEAM win by doing so (and I agree with the above, if you're doing good, hope no one messes with you!) but you in and of yourself are nothing. Period. RO just doesn't work that way. One tank hold off an army? Not going to happen. Sorry, go to BF2 if you want that (and I'm not just taking a jab, I'm being serious).

And, as stated above, when a 'user optional' feature affects other players (and locking a tank would indeed affect other players' ability to use a tank) then it becomes much more global. If you want that in your bot matches, fine. Hope someone writes a mutator for you. Don't expect it to be on the overwhelming majority of servers. I'm sure you can find one or two admins who are just as self centered, but try not to get too upset when they have 'your' IS2 locked on the side of a hill somewhere, and there are no other tanks in the spawn.

Sorry if I come across like an ass (and I'm sure even if I didn't, I would for disagreeing), but that's just how RO works.

And please, find a reference on tanks having a killswitch in the commanders/gunners position before trying that argument on this game.

Upvote 0