• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

When is the next patch?

all so mabey win thay fix one thing.. thin somthing new is not working.. and so on and so on...

new is great.. but at a pont.. its rilly no help... im happy thay are working on it and unlike uther games.. it will prabey be fixed.. and prable wath OUT new bugs!... nathing like a pach that add more bugs thin its fix......

sure i wish it was suner but its not going to change my life...but thin agin..if u give somone $1000 thay say y not 2000? ppl will ALL was cunplan!:(

Upvote 0
Wolfsglen said:
There is an old saying "A watched pot never boils" - he isnt for one minute suggesting it will ACTUALLY take longer...only that the more that people sit there hitting refresh the longer its going to APPEAR to take. When there is news and something to mention, there will BE news...if you really want them to make a front page post saying "still working on it, absolutely nothing else to report" then you are going to be disappointed...plus its pretty obvious they are still working on it if there is no news otherwise there would be another fresh post up in the Announcements section.

So maybe its taking longer to finish, maybe they havent fully decided on what will be included in it, maybe they dont know how long something may take to finish - and no specific dates were given for a reason. Did you ever stop and think maybe the pure bug-fixes arent actually fixed or ready to the standard they want yet? It may have nothing whatsoever to do with the new content... they simply cant release what isnt finished...and if they did go ahead and release it "like you advise" - i have no doubt you would make another load of long constantly negative posts "advising" them to finish and test it before releasing next time :rolleyes: Now give it a rest already, you are going to need all your energy for the 10-paragraph posts complaining about everything after it IS released anyway :D
Good post. Thanks for clearing up the problems Jack was having with my metaphors. I guess I shouldn't post something that would take thought and consideration to figure out... this is an internet forum :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Wolfsglen said:
Ever hear of sarcasm? Considering im not the only one to joke about it either...someone else has :)

dodgy.gif

the dodgy is your friend...sarcasm is lost just amongst words

Upvote 0
Who gives a flying fornification about metaphors, sarcasms, symbolisms, in-between-the-lines diddly doo jokes? It is all ultimately words, and it doesn't change reality. Stop playing with words and just talk about what is really going on.

The idea is don't post news if you don't mean it.

Don't say you will give more information "over the next few days" if you don't intend to.

Don't say things are finishing up when you are actually a month off from being close to done.

Don't say such things, not follow up, then wonder why people are doggin you for answers!

If several weeks goes by and still nothing when it was implied we were only "days" away from a patch, then it only makes sense to make another news posting saying that things are taking a bit longer than expected and to give some new info, heck even EA/Dice and Valve do that!

You can't not update people and then simultaneously chastise them for inquiring as to what is going on. Excuse me if I am irritated that it is going on 3 months from release and instead of just patching the game to its intended state we are hearing about promised new content. That's what my message originally was: screw the content and just fix what is there already, we can live without the friggin MP41 and M44, I just want the game to work right.

PS: And Wolfsglen, how could it be taking this long just fix something like the tank issue? Meanwhile, we have seen Wilson say how the timetable is in flux because they don't know what content will and will not make it. That is what lead me conclude that content is holding this whole thing up, hence, I "advised" to just forget the content. Makes sense. And you failed to address my point (and the other guy's) about Steam incremental patching. The question still remains why go the route of the big "super patch?" It is obviously taking longer than expected to get everything in on time...so why try to release everything at once?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jack, due to people being impatient, out-spoken, and having narrow-sightedness like yourself, many game companies never keep the community updated about anything. Like the dev's have said here before, giving dates and not being able to keep them seems to upset people more than not being given any news at all.

I personally like to be informed of what's going on, no matter if it's a tenuous plan that might change or not. I wish people like yourself could handle the fact that problems come up and dates will be pushed back.

The dev's could think the patch is almost complete and plan to release it in the coming days, but then a few players have an issue. The dev's have to then go back through things, pin-point what the problem is, and find a fix for it. Hopefully this fix doesn't create another issue. This process will clearly take time and scheduals will change even when it seems things are almost complete!

The dev's know about the potential of steam and they also have a far greater idea of the overall time-frame things must be added. Grow up and realize that everything won't be done on your schedual.

Frankly, Jack, you sound like a spoiled child that didn't get exactly what he wanted on his birthday.

Upvote 0
Jack said:
how could it be taking this long just fix something like the tank issue?

I get the feeling you have no, or very little experiance with coding..

Here's a challenge for you, grab the SDK, and go make a penetration system for the RO bullets, you have two weeks to make it into a working mutator, penetration must factor in things like current velocity, texture material must decide penetration values (wood and metal are different things), aswell as the size of the object, probabillity of penetration, and appropriate bullet slowdown.

Get ckracking! your two weeks just started! :p

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
I get the feeling you have no, or very little experiance with coding..

Here's a challenge for you, grab the SDK, and go make a penetration system for the RO bullets, you have two weeks to make it into a working mutator, penetration must factor in things like current velocity, texture material must decide penetration values (wood and metal are different things), aswell as the size of the object, probabillity of penetration, and appropriate bullet slowdown.

Get ckracking! your two weeks just started! :p
http://jack.justgotowned.com/

BTW: Im happy with whenever it comes out. Patience is a virtue, one that some of you appear to have missed out on.

Just look at windows "longhorn/Vista" whos release date has so far gone from Nov. '05 to "early" '07...

Upvote 0
CaptRanger said:
Jack, due to people being impatient, out-spoken, and having narrow-sightedness like yourself, many game companies never keep the community updated about anything. Like the dev's have said here before, giving dates and not being able to keep them seems to upset people more than not being given any news at all.

I personally like to be informed of what's going on, no matter if it's a tenuous plan that might change or not. I wish people like yourself could handle the fact that problems come up and dates will be pushed back.

The dev's could think the patch is almost complete and plan to release it in the coming days, but then a few players have an issue. The dev's have to then go back through things, pin-point what the problem is, and find a fix for it. Hopefully this fix doesn't create another issue. This process will clearly take time and scheduals will change even when it seems things are almost complete!

The dev's know about the potential of steam and they also have a far greater idea of the overall time-frame things must be added. Grow up and realize that everything won't be done on your schedual.

Frankly, Jack, you sound like a spoiled child that didn't get exactly what he wanted on his birthday.

Nothing wrong with dates getting pushed back. What is irritating is having them pushed back and not telling anyone until they incessantly keep asking about it. As you said yourself, " I personally like to be informed of what's going on, no matter if it's a tenuous plan that might change or not."

I think I laid out fairly well the chronology of this whole thing in the last post. We are told one thing, then silence ensues for weeks while nothing happens....we only find out further info by making topic upon topic asking what is going on. The news page wasn't even used until popular demand forced it.

And who said anything about stuff being done on my schedule? The only ones who have laid out a schedule have been the devs. All of the expected dates we have had are due to what they have iterated, not me or anyone else.

And I am sure the devs have a knowledge of Steam and the timeframe needed....which makes we wonder all the more what is with the spastic news announcents that say things are almost done one day, then a dev pops in a week later in an obscure thread that the general audience won't even read and says it will be a month more at a conservative estimate.

I mean maybe it's just me.

Tripwire is very excited to announce that we’re nearing completion of our first major update/patch for Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. The focus of this update will be addressing some known issues, bug fixes, major optimizations and two new weapons: the German MP41 sub-machine gun and the Soviet Mosin M44 rifle.

This will be the first of an ever-increasing flow of new patches containing weapons, maps, vehicles and last, but not least, lots of new game-play features! This is planned to be a steady stream off into 2007 (it will be 2007 before the second patch gets out at this rate, assuming it takes 3-4 months to fix issues as is) and best of all is this will all be coming to you for free! (yeah so many companies charge for patches these days it sickening)

Expect more details on this over the next few days what details? That they are working on a patch and can't tell us what's in it? How informative).Don't forget that we like to hear your feedback and ideas on the game: keep them coming on the forums.

Like I said nothing in frontpage, nothing in browser...only cryptic responses from devs after prolonged nagging. And yeah I know, "they could just decide to not tell you anything." Well then, lets just forget the whole thing right!?

And yeah, I guess I do sound like a "spoiled kid." Well excuse me. All I had to listen to were people saying how the game was held off until release as long as possible to ensure there were no major bugs "like in other shooters," and we get a broken game anyway.

Not only a game with major portions of it broken, but no acknowlegement of this for weeks. The same butt-lickers coming around saying how "there is nothing wrong with blah blah...you don't know what you are talking about....if you don't like it leave." Then what do you know? Hey, there were major bugs afterall.

Then weeks with nothing. Worst of all, all a large portion of this community did was talk **** about other other developers, heralding TW as somehow divinely mandated. But we are getting the same lame excuses and delays any other develper would give. And just as with so many shooters, it will be 6 months before the game is playing remotely like it was meant to on launch day.

At least with EA (which you guys seem to loath by and large) they give excuses that make sense. I mean look at the logic going on here, based off what guys like Wilson and others have wrote.

"Why is the patch 2 months late?"

TW: "Because we are having difficulties implementing everything we wanted to."

"Well can you tell us what's going on?"

TW: "Well we aren't sure what stuff will make it and what won't."

"So, how do you know if you will be able to fit in all the stuff you want to for the patch?"

TW: "It depends on if we can fit this content in with our schedule."

"Uh..and yet the schedule is determined by what content you are adding?"

TW: "Seems so."

"But the schedule also is determing what content you can get out in time?"

TW: "Yes...."

"Ok....what about just incrementally releasing stuff as you accomplish it over time, as oppossed to waiting for some big patch? Afterall, that's what the boon of Steam was right?

TW: "............."

Pardon me while I puke a huge load on my desk.

Tell you guys what, since I am so spoiled, I think I will just leave the forums for two months, but not before I make a deal. Here it is: I'll check back in two months, and if the patch is still not out and/or there are major breaks with the game from a new patch that was released, then I'll just quietly sigh. If in two months the patch is out and the game finally works in the form as advertised, and what I paid for, then I will lash myself 300 times. So I am serious, no posting for two months, I got more important stuff to do over the summer anyway.

Oh yeah, and sorry I forgot to add my URL like the rest of the gang, here it is, again sorry for being so absent minded: www.whatthe[explitivedeleted]isaurlsuppossedtoachievethatdoesn'tleadtoanything.com

Upvote 0
Yoshiro said:
Epic has "2 weeks", ID has "when its done", valve has "we have to recode the game/2 years", so Tripwire would like to claim "soon" for our answer.

Let's just give "in two weeks" its proper place in history.

It achieved prominence during Domark's first venture into the "Confirmed Kill" beta test period in the mid90s. It became even more famous once ICI took control over the game and renamed it War Birds. It was then passed on to a handful of games by people now seasoned in the CK/WB history of patches.

So, technically, HiTech Creations (the company that was ICI) has "in two weeks." :)

Upvote 0
I know I shouldn't react - and I'll probably delete this post later (if someone else doesn't do it for me), but here goes:

Jack, don't be a complete muppet. The patch can't be two months late - we only released the whole game two months ago. And before you tell me it was 2-and-a-bit months ago, don't forget we went straight from the Steam release to getting the boxed version out the door, so that non-broadband users could start to get their hands on it. Not to mention spending the next 2 months pushing it into the whole retail chain, which has been a brute of a job.

We have since produced (and Valve have) work-arounds for a number of issues, plus one bug-fix patch already. In between time, we have been trying to get the distribution sorted out for the world OUTSIDE North America - there still is one, Jack, ya know... and with the dollar at its current rate, we probably have more spending power - but lets not even go there.

I posted about the upcoming patch two weeks ago today, not two months ago. We aren't going to drop out fixes every day of the week - it is simply too inefficient for a small company like us to go through the full development/test cycle once a week.

For information, the patch is well into testing right now - I'll try and put together a "useful" post on it end of this week. But there's no point in posting "soon" posts too often - once per patch will do.

As to your odd rant thing...

1. The timing of the patch is dictated by fixing a specific set of bugs plus, ideally, a bunch of new content. However, the bug fixes dictate the critical path - and as people have pointed out, bug-fixing (and testing, regression testing etc) is NOT easy to predict timings on.
2. "New" content will wander in and out some, because there will be stuff we think we can fit in on those timescales, then realise we can't.
3. Having committed (internally) to some of that content, that content just might move the final patch release date if it turns out to take longer than we thought.

Now, my betting is on having the patch out in a couple of weeks from here. But I know others in Atlanta are going, nooooooo, we need 4 weeks! But lets say we do it before the end of June. That will be Steam release, global boxed version release (including 4 localised versions), some work-arounds, one bug-fix patch (actually it might be two, if you count the server-side fixes), the release of the full SDK, including all manuals and tutorials, plus a further bug-fix and new content release. All within about 3 months.

Now, getting all that lot from a small company, in around 3 months, strikes me as pretty good going. If you believe anyone does it better, you are entitled to your own opinion. I'll just chose to disagree with you.

Upvote 0