• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Someone needs to make an Opteration Overlord map..

I actually don't have a problem with this. I've played plenty of Overlord maps, from MOH: Allied Assault, to custom ones for DOD:S. I've always wanted to see how it would play with realistic weapons and movement.

You could just make it a fictional scenario, where the Russians lost on the Ostfront and only a handful of them escaped to the West. This actually happened with Poland, with thousands of their soldiers ending up in England. Reorganized in Scotland as the Polish 1st Armored Division, these soldiers ended up fighting their way back in through Normandy when they were landed there in July 1944.

For a map like this, it could be called RO-RedBeach (to keep in tune with Gold Beach, Omaha Beach, Juno Beach, etc.)

I'd like to make this map once I finish what I'm doing now. I'm too curious to pass it up.

Upvote 0
WP maybe we can do something together after i finished Serpentswall.
I have a beachlanding map in stock. Its based on an actuall event in the crimea where the allies try to block the retreat of the german army

The landing took place in Novorossiysk in '43. look at armchair general for more data or wait till we (finally) meet on irc and i chat you up to date.

Upvote 0
Novogradov said:
Heheh nice joke mate! Yet another omaha map! LOL! you almost had me for a seco...... Oh wait.... :eek:

I think im going insane..

So many Overlords.. so many Omahas.. plz have mercy! :p

Realistic Omaha? Realistic D-Day? ... Check it out > www.1944game.com

--Xplosiv

I doubt that game will ever be released, and if released it wont have all the features they claim it will have...

Upvote 0
I'm not sold on that 1944 game.

Pretty models and textures doth not a good game make. As it stands, it looks like their models are WAY too high poly for a current or even near-generation game, unless they're going to be pared down heavily.

Take a look at the vast amount of polies here. So much of this could have been done with normal maps or completely simplified (I'm sorry, you don't need that much detail for a suspension system that would only really be seen if the truck flips). The only reason I could see for this is if the model is going to be used in an FMV.

gmc353scrn31mm.jpg

Also their vehicle list is extraordinarily ambitious. There's at least 30 vehicles for the Germans alone, including up to 7 variants of each tank. Not that it can't be done, of course, but that's a whole lot of programming, animation, and damage/physics model tweaking. I've seen one too many games or mods that claim something like "We're going to have every vehicle, airplane, weapon, uniform, and army on the Western front" and then watch as their fanbase disappears as they don't deliver.

Realism should apply to expectations as well.

Upvote 0