• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics FM 23-20 (for all you snipers out there)

shadowmoses

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006
*Yeah i know i made a spelling mistake on the FM name*
I placed this on another sniper related post but thought it deserves a thread of its own.
This is the FM 23-10 *Scout Sniper Field Manual*
(However i dont know if its the entire manual...or it might be an older one cause i remember there being alot more...maybe someone can correct me on this). This Covers Almost every basic and technical aspect that a sniper should know...
But if your too lazy to read the entire thing over or have a question that the FM doesnt cover, i can try to answer some of your questions...
***As your read this***
Keep in mind that this manual is modern day U.S. Army sniper training.
The manual has no relation to RO or any other game.
http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=usmilitary&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.globalsecurity.org%2Fmilitary%2Flibrary%2Fpolicy%2Farmy%2Ffm%2F23-10%2Findex.html

*Some Basic Points To Remember*
1. Always move as if the area is being watched.
2. Taking the long way around is usually the best method.
3. Be smart and try to view yourself from your enemies’ eyes. Place yourself somewhere that is out of the way. Your target isn’t stupid, he is smart, deadly, and should be respected. Do not EVER think less of your target. He knows to look for you, so a tower or hill may not always the best place to set up.
4. Watch your target and be exact when you take the shot. Its always the first shot that gives your location away. Remember, you hold your enemies life in your hands. You decide when and how their life ends.
5. Scan with 'open sights' (meaning w/o looking thru your optics). You will be able to have a wider view of the area and see target indicaters easier. There may be more than one potentially hostile target so always be scanning.
6. So far, RO does not give you capability to adjust range so learn your SWS front and back. Know where the bullet will land and how long it takes for it to get there.
7. Watch your team mates. If they are aiming at/firing at a certain location then that probably means there is hostile activity.
8. Communicate. This is a must. Radio in/Type out where activity is. You are not on the battlefield to run your own game. You are there to aid your squad.
9. One Shot, One Kill. Your rifle was made for long range accuracy, however it is only as accurate at the shooter. Always make sure that both You and Your Rifle are ready to engage. Make sure to reload after a kill and before you begin to move to a new location. You are Dead with out your Rifle because your Rifle is your life.
10. Weather it is the SVD/Gewehr or the Mauser/Mosin that you choose, each will act differently in different environments and has its uses depending on the map.

You Are A Hunter. You Are Feared.
Your Are Feared Because Through Your Eyes You Deal Death.
You Are Dirt. You Are Mud.
You Are Grass. You Are Sand.
You Are Snow. You Are Rock.
You Are Your Rifle. Your Rifle Is You.
Together You And Your Rifle Are One Being. You Are One Single Fighting Force.
You Take Life Without Hesitation.
You Know Yourself. You Know Your Enemy.
You Are Skilled. You Are Disciplined.

You Are Elite. You Are A Sniper.

Last edited:
Tak said:
*snicker*

Nice tips. Hopefully we get a real pain in the ass to use sniper scope to go with them, so that a trained sniper is something to be feared, and a newb sniper is just a strelok with a view :)
Would be nice to get a good, highly adjustable scope.
I mean im pretty damn doog with/out it now, but im sick of having to cover my targets with the reticle... :(

Upvote 0