• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I Didnt Buy a Tank Sim

I Didnt Buy a Tank Sim

• Yes

Votes: 91 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 167 64.7%

• Total voters
Amerikaner said:
Servers should be forced to be infantry only, infantry/combined arms only or tank only.

First off, that which you ask is totally unreal, unrealistic and outrageous. Its fairly obvious you've never seen combat.

If ever a game... in this genre should force a game play style such as you ask, my servers would come down in a heartbeat.

We have the best in RO now. To see ppl continually carry on for less admin controls, less this and less that, lock this and lock that... b4 you know what's happened the game will be an on the rails pacman rag.

So far the RO producers and developers have done a great job on RO. Why must we have ppl wanting to fix what ain't broken?

Upvote 0
Ron said:
If you dont mind me saying so i think your being rather selfish you know there are many here who love the tank maps me included just because you might not doesnt when you have to start a campaign to get the part of the game you like more attention honestly imo if ostfront was mainly infantry i think the game would get boring quickly then if it had a mix of all stlyes. One of the things i love about ostfront is that one map there's intense infantry combat next sec its tank combat, it prevents the game getting stale. I cant see what people have against the tank maps.

I agree with you. If there were no tanks in the game, I wouldn't have bothered playing it.
The best maps are the ones that allow infantry to play a vital role alongside the armour.
Like AT infantry sneeking around the back of some heavy tanks and causing havoc. And armour moving in as close support as the infantry take a position.
It is the mix of armour and infantry that makes RO what it is.

Upvote 0
Well, basically all of the maps with vehicles are combined arms.

However, some combined arms maps focus on the tanks (Arad), and some focus on the infantry (Konigsplatz).

Myself, I much prefer combined arms maps that lean towards the infantry. In competitive play Konigsplatz has much better gameplay flow then say Arad, especially because of the BA-64s which horribly unbalance the map.

Upvote 0
Kaner,Hobo,Nimsky,Lemur - why don't u just accept your defeat on Arad? How can u blame BA62s of giving us so big advantage? For me those cars suck so much, they can be blown with 1 nade so they dont give any cover , even from a single infantryman. And u whine that u lost 8 hours of battles just because russians have BA62s on Arad:) C'mon guys, don't make us laugh.
And btw., you've lost Basovka too, and there were no BA62s:)

And about the Poll, no, i think tanks should be evaluated even more.

Upvote 0
Strahd said:
And btw., you've lost Basovka too, and there were no BA62s:)

And about the Poll, no, i think tanks should be evaluated even more.

Actually in my Experience, a Nade against a BA-64 only kills the Driver, not the Gunner. But its a nice Target for a Panzerfaust :) wait till its close, go to IS and BOOM and get 1 to 4 kills :D, and no we didn't loose because of the BA-64 on Arad, though on Basovka the BA-64 kicked ASS, admit it !! :cool:

You're just lucky that our Tiger II got stuck on a Fence in our Spawn hihi j/k

P.S.
Strahd just do me ONE simply Favor, stop writing my Name on your Bullets. You darn Vodoo priest...

I go left -> Witzig got killed by Strahd
I go right -> Witzig got killed by Strahd
I go through the middle, right through the Arty and survive it ! -> killed by Xarchon !!! That guy was born with a DP28 in his hands !!

Upvote 0
C'mon dear BFE mates. The Scrim before we had endless draws on Arad. This time we won. Maybe we had a better strategy this time.

However back to topic. The vehicles are in my opinion not realistic ennough. The most annoying thing is probably the instant hop out of the vehicles. Second the position switch within the vehicle is too fast. And third the tank damage model is broken.

For me I prefer infantry maps and maps with only 1-2 tanks over maps maps with lot of tanks. But I also like the latter ones as well.

RO needs to bring the vehicles to the same quality level as the infantry combat. And then we need more maps in general. So that everyone is satisfied.

Upvote 0
Sticking to the topic: I see this as the players of the mod trying to dictate what the game RO:OF should be about.
If I wanted t play the mod I would. But I bought this game because I liked what I saw. And this game is not the mod, its a separate game that the developers, granted with lots of inspiration fro the mod, wanted to make as a stand alone game. Why cant you veterans accept that?
And who ever run the server sets the rules. So start your own and run infantry only if you please.

Upvote 0
-MM!!-Lazarus said:
Sticking to the topic: I see this as the players of the mod trying to dictate what the game RO:OF should be about.
If I wanted t play the mod I would. But I bought this game because I liked what I saw. And this game is not the mod, its a separate game that the developers, granted with lots of inspiration fro the mod, wanted to make as a stand alone game. Why cant you veterans accept that?
And who ever run the server sets the rules. So start your own and run infantry only if you please.

I agree stop complaining about it and run your own server. I loved the mod and if you ever played it you would know that there were 3 tank only maps, and 2 combined arms maps. So shut up and stop bitchen about how it's not the way you wan't it to be.

RO was always going for more vehicles and was always adding more of them to the game. WW2 did not just have infantry it had tanks and APCs and all kinds of fighters and bombers. Thats what this game is about pouting you in the shoes of a soldier from WW2 on the eastern front. If you can't hendel it then please leave.............

Upvote 0
Honestly, i'm no super-pro-RO-vet but i started playing RO at CA3.0 because they finally added vehicles. When i first Dl'd ROalpha1.0 (or whatever it was called) for ut2003, iwas kind of irked and decided to give them time to iron out as much as they could :(. Then when i finally played CA i was enthralled by the infantry experience and have been addicted ever since (i need a fix right now :D). While the tanks were lacking i eventually came back around to them (after like half a year of practice with the infantry). I like the tanks, i understand there's plenty of crap they've got to fizix, but for me i enjoy the experience (i think the combined arms maps are some of the most enjoyable). I think TW's plan the whole time was to add vehicles and now's the time to work on their implementation.

A few things that might help tankers and infantriers get along together:

-More CA maps (i think most people either like tanks or infantry, exclusively). Konigs and Hedge are great examples of CA maps, hopefully we'll see more like those (maybe something like Kharkov? but Ost-ified)

-Move infantry spawns closer to the front in tank maps (maybe)

-Some way of allowing infantry to ride tanks. (Seats on the rear that have no class restrictions-if it's possible).

-More CA maps...

-Short delay before enter/exit/seat change

-Show tanks on map (may help, not sure)

-Commander command: defend our/attack their tank (shows tank on map)

-Tank hastens cap (though if you have a tank crew/tank leader that's already a lot)

-Smoke rounds for tank (it's been discussed)

-...More CA maps!? :p

Personally, i think there's too much of a focus on infantry right now, it's not the devs fault, in my experience the player base favors infantry above CA/tanks. Maybe it's the implementation, the difficulty of use or the performance related problems that keep the tank-niggas down. The point is the infantry, CA, and tank-only scenario's all have their place; but there's been much more time to work on the infantry side of things. Give the tanks time and i think it will work out for the better.

-Doobenstein

Upvote 0
i have to agree with amerikaner...
the option of going to an infantry only server is nihil :( during daytime here in holland when i look, its only just a few servers... and those servers, are all ****ing tank maps, all the time.. and IF its infantry, its full of bots :(
in the evening it gets better, more servers online, but one look at the map list shows me 3/4th is all tanks, and other ones change who play inf maps switch to tank maps way to often...
ofcourse tanks were part of the war, a big part, but if i cant kill it with my trusty mosin then it aint no fun XD

i love the infantry part, and i despise the tank part, but thats not a fault of the game. i just dont like tanks. i just really love infantry.
but now, when i start up ROOST, 8 of 10 times i just shut it down disappointed in seeing no real infantry servers. ive tried adding some inf only servers to my favourites, but somehow it doesnt work and they dont show.
you all think its so simple, but ***** it just doesnt work.
CA maps are good too, i especially like Hedgehog cuz you can go around the tanks and you dont have to be confronted with them if i really dont want it.

( one more complaint, since im at it now ;) ) IF there are infantry servers, why do they allmost only play Odessa en Konigplatz? im sick of Konigplatz, it was impressive the first time but now its getting kind of dull, especially with a lot of bots. Odessa is a nice map, but im more of an outdoors man instead of urban crap. love basovka for instance, kaukasus is great too, even though it looks cartoony cuz of the hills, i just love the siege aspect of it :D i'd like to see some more variety in the maps, not just Konigsplatz and Odessa... please? :(

Upvote 0
Point 1) Let the switching and enter/exit animations/timings go in. We'll probably see at least one 'OMG ARAD 24/7/365 ROFLSLOL!!!11!' server go away. The rest will stay though, because they like vehicles. That's their bag, it's OK :) CA maps won't be so painful to play on then, and won't feel as vehicle-domminated.

Point 2) Wait until the SDK is out (in a working, non-steam-****-upable version). Custom maps have so far, even in the mod, tended to be massively favoring infantry.

Point 3) Your poll options are quite 'teh suxs' :p

Upvote 0
If you get in close range combat tanks can be easily outclassed by infantry. People usually can't hear footsteps in their tanks since they don't have headphones. Just fire a few Panzerfausts or lay a satchel near a tank and it's long gone, and mnost of the time you won't be seen. Infantry also seem to be the ones who help take objectives then hold them, while the armour goes on to the next one.

Upvote 0
It's good that more games focus on actually manning ww2 vehicles as well, there way to many shooters but very few games that focus on vehicles as well with at least some sort of realism.

In fact the tanks in RO is the only reason I am buying this game.

But Tank Sim??? Seems a lot more like Tank Arcade to me, if you want simulation try ww2online.

Upvote 0
I agree somewhat. Roost is at its best as a infantry only game. Tanks arent bad but they just dont match the intensity of infantry battles. It is fun to blast panzer4's with panzerfausts or with a ptrd. However that doesnt match with fighting in a area smaller than my living room and then stab them all to death. Combined arms maps is indeed where the line should have been drawn imho.

Upvote 0
No matter what you infantry lovers say i think TW made the right decision in catering for all tastes, personally i love them all but if it was just infantry i think i dont think i'd play as much. Give TW time to bring the tanks up to the level of infantry realism, no doubt TW inclusion of tanks is all part of their plan for the future so trust in their judgement cos chances are you infantry lovers calling for no tanks will be the ones proven wrong and TW right.

Upvote 0