• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

By far the lamest and the most ridiculous aspect of RO

Centar

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2006
Finland
1. Select sapper or ATR class.
2. Jump into the Soviet armored car.
3. Drive through a heated tank battle, dodging gunfire, shells and artillery like Rambo or James Bond.
4. Park next to two Tiger tanks. (or with ATR, Panzer IV's)
5. Plant scatchel charges. (or shoot at the magical shovel)
6. Kaboom.
7. Repeat.

Centar said:
3. Drive through a heated tank battle, dodging gunfire, shells and artillery like Rambo or James Bond.
6. Kaboom.
7. Repeat.
There's not much one can do about this. Such mechanics tend to be exploited in games, as they don't bear the risks they would in real life.

But I agree, it's annyoing, at least when you sit in a tiger. All the other tanks have no problem keeping the little BA64 in the sights, so, with a little practice, you can pop them from afar.

EDIT:

Well, once delays for entering and exiting vehicles are introduced, it won't be so safe anymore to get out in the vicinity of enemy tanks...

Upvote 0
Centar said:
6. Kaboom.
7. Repeat.

Or as a Tanker, look for insane people like this. Get out of your tank and shoot them. And until a delayed enter/exit system is introduced this is how it is going to be. Live with it or don't play tank maps.

Upvote 0
Maybe in the future you will have to toss the scatchel charges on top of the engine grill or under the tanks vurnible belly to take it out. That'll make the tactic require at least a tad more skill, though it won't solve the problem.

Ultimately I think it could only be solved by removing the BA-64's alltogether. You don't usually see the German halftrack used for the same thing. Unfortunately there isn't a Soviet equivelant that I'm aware of.

Perhaps they could just axe the BA-64 and instead make the respawns more dynamic - Infantry would be able to spawn in the North Village for russians for when they control 3/4 points and vica versa for the Germans and their South Town. This would reduce the need for mechanised transportation for infantry, particularly in the case of Arad where the problem is at it's worst.

They probably used non inflatable tires so I'm unsure if destroying them with bullets would be realistic.

Upvote 0
Centar said:
Ultimately I think it could only be solved by removing the BA-64's alltogether. You don't usually see the German halftrack used for the same thing. Unfortunately there isn't a Soviet equivelant that I'm aware of.

Mainly because there wasn't one. Soviet infantry would catch a ride on tanks if they needed battlefield transport or they would use one of the relatively few American Lend/Lease halftracks the USSR received. I'm not sure if they EVER used halftrack infantry transports prior to use of the BMP-1 and similar vehicle, I'll try and look that up.

Upvote 0
Saturnalia said:
Mainly because there wasn't one. Soviet infantry would catch a ride on tanks if they needed battlefield transport or they would use one of the relatively few American Lend/Lease halftracks the USSR received. I'm not sure if they EVER used halftrack infantry transports prior to use of the BMP-1 and similar vehicle, I'll try and look that up.
Thats what I thought but I was reluctant to state it as a fact because I haven't looked it up.

Anyways, if infantry could ride on tanks, this problem would be totally removed, as there are ALWAYS tanks leaving off on these maps. Just jump on one and bail out whenever you feel like. It could be done by just adding a few extra positions on the tanks, as the code for shooting people off of tanks already exists and all. The only difficulty would be to enable non-tanker classes to use these positions but NOT the driver/gunner/machinegunner positions of the tank. That said, I wish the devs look into this, get it implemented, and remove the BA-64 alltogether.

The BA-64 is simply quite harmful for the gameplay. It's never used for what it's there for, scouting. People just use it as a taxi like the jeeps and dune buggies in the Battlefield series. I once tried to use it as a mix of fire support and scouting vehicle on the Hedge map (cant remember the name right now as it's 3:11 AM) but lol, the gunner would always jump off when he realised I was not going to do a taxi run to the furthest objective, or if I was the gunner, someone would jump in and drive off :p

In short, remove BA-64 as it hinders gameplay and implement riding on tanks.

Upvote 0
Centar said:

M3 Halftrack. Used in fairly large numbers by the Soviets. ZIS-42 was used as a prime mover, I believe. However, like the SdKfz 251, it would be abused and generally used incorrectly. These maps are much to small for any realistic employment of halftracks or troop transports in general.

Last edited:
Upvote 0