• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ro seems to lack fundimental realism

<*>Our_Martyr

Nov 22, 2005
I know a lot of people are going to rush to arms and threaten to burn me at the stake for this.

I have been playing Ro since the MOD of 1.0.

Red Orchestra dousn't feel realistic to me. Iy just feels like The developers own spin on realism. Some areas feel realistic while others feel like a cartoon making a bad contrast in gameplay.
Now RO has some of the most realistically implemented features I have ever seen in an online shooter but something just seems to lack in the execution of the features. I think everyones experianced the bouncy terrian obsticles that pop you up exposing you to enemy fire. (engine based problem)
Or for instance not being able to jump over anything...sure you can dive over obsticles but even then it looks horrible cause your character pauses mid dive and crawls over it.
The RO avatar feels and moves like a stiff 40 year old man with backpain. (ala Getting up from prone).

Great game but frankly Im dissapointed and hope the RO team adresses all these future problems in later patches.

I havn't said anything for months because I have had times of Great fun playing RO....and other times where I ask myself what the hell just happened. My favorite is bouncing over a prone enemy.

To me Realism is based on playing a game that feels like the avatar is an extension of yourself, if you where placed on the battlefield in Real Life.

I have been playing wargames my entire life. Medival battle reinacting or Airsoft with advanced rules to highten realism(complex hit detection rules low cap magazines only and hand to hand rules.)Eventually I became so efficiant at airsoft that I didn't even need a weapon to get kills( I preferred flanking or ambushing my opponents with a padded longsword made out of PVC pipe and plumbing insulation foam). This was because my AEG MP5 broke while installing a precision barrel. This led me to improvise, using my medival warfare reinacting training along with a full suit of woodland digi camo. Maybe I'm just jaded because I have experianced true feelings of simulated combat that no computer game could simulate at this point in modern gaming.

Flame away I really dont care I stopped caring after they changed the Red Orchestra Forums for the 3rd time. I think this might be the first post I have made on the New Forums.

Long live RO and I hope maybe on the Unreal 3 engine My dreams will be realized.

Sure RO isn't 100% realistic. I'd like to see the instant teleport vehicle exiting (especially form a moving vehicle) fixed. Also the inability to hop over most small obstacles is annoying. I think they're in the process of hunting down bugs in the armor damage interactions, so that's great. Can't say I've ever experienced the bouncing on prone guys bug as I never have a reason to stand on a enemy. If I sneak up on a enemy and they're on the ground I use a bullet rather than bayonett (save that for upright guys).

Upvote 0
the thing i hate about ro is the contrast in the graphical quality of the maps,
maps like odessa,konigsplatz,stalingrad,barasha,arad(now nabruska:) ) look very realistic to me,i mean these maps have the gritty warfeeling,it's not cartoony,but maps like bondarevo(which looks very very bad!:eek:,the ugly trees man.....and the aliasing:eek: ),baksan valley(looks like a game of ut itself) ,kaukasus look waaay to cartoony,these maps look like maps from another game:(

Upvote 0
I have experianced true feelings of simulated combat that no computer game could simulate at this point in modern gaming.

I'm in the US Army Infantry, have been in for two years so far. Without saying this in too brash of a manner, don't even think for a second that you understand the 'true feelings of simulated combat'. Move away from your family and friends without seeing them for five months. Then try rucking 25 miles into the woods with a 75 lbs. pack, weapons, ammunition, and about a million pieces of other gear, cover yourself in mud, stay up for a few days in a row, ruck another 15 or 20 miles on foot, cover yourself in mud again, then do the same thing for another week or two. At the end of all this, then engage a simulated enemy force using blanks on real weapons, most of which weigh more than your entire computer. Do this in the rain, in the snow, in the cold, and/or in the 110 degree Ft. Benning, GA heat.

Maybe then you'll have an idea of what a "simulated combat experience" is.

This is a computer game. I'm 100% all for the most extreme levels of realism possible in a video game, and next to Operation Flashpoint, this is the only game that comes close. I know what realism is. I do this sort of thing for a living.

Everybody expects something different out of a game, and everybody's entitled to his or her own opinion on what should be added. But if you're gonna sit here, act like you know what you're talking about, make sure you have the credibility to back up your claims.

Upvote 0
It does weapons effects and such rather well methinks, but it really doesn't do squad action well, and its not realistic to have 8x 155 to support at 16 man squad.

As for realism, hmm Operation Flashpoint is probably far more realistic when it comes to movement actually...cause it was rather impressive..

Janster

Upvote 0
Well, I for one like its realism. Sure there are things limited because of the game engine. Sure there are some things that can be improved, one being the instant entrance/exiting and position switching in vehicles.
But I have no problem with the getting up from prone. Try doing it without a rifle or pack, it still takes a moment. Better yet, go into practice and use the 3rd person camera, you'll see how much you have on your back. I also have not encountered the problem you mentioned about diving prone. I absolutely love doing that.

Is RO perfect? No, but still the best one I have seen out there.

Upvote 0
Droog said:
qft

Total number of servers dropped from 450 to 250
Number of populated servers at night in the US dropped from 20+ to 10+

Populated European Servers went from 10 to about 30 at night :), after the the release in some European Countries. The biggest european Gaming Communites (UK/Germany) didn't have a Store Release .... yet...

So European Servers will get busier in the near future...

Upvote 0
<*>Our_Martyr said:
( I preferred flanking or ambushing my opponents with a padded longsword made out of PVC pipe and plumbing insulation foam).

Use a real longsword next time...much more "realistic" - otherwise you are lacking fundamental realism too. If someone came towards me waving a padded pipe i would beat his brains out with a leftover limburger cheese sandwich and urinate on his stanky corpse...if it was a real longsword, i expect my reaction would be very different.

Sarcasm aside, this is a game...and so is Airsoft. Nothing can ever be 100% realistic when it isnt 100% real...and thats coming from a self-professed realism whore like me :)

Upvote 0
killer.jpg

Upvote 0