• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why isn't anyone buying this game???

Well the most recent issue of PC Gamer reviewed the game giving it a lot of praise, and gave it a 78% rating (I think), which isn't a bad rating at all but people might take as bad, if they are not frequent readers of the magazine.

In its ''Lows'' though (their way of saying whats bad with the game), they mention that it has a steep learning curve, which is true, and for people of this community that isnt seen as a bad thing, but as a good thing, but the average person who wants to get a couple of hours of simple fun they might go for the more popular less realistic games, since the one-shot kill scenario might fustrate them.

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman
The post was good natured. If you feel slighted by it, you must be lacking the juice.
Didn't come off that a way, since I heard tons of people's cards rejected, they also don't have a pay pal debit card. The games I bought over steam have been with 2 different debit cards (not pay pal and not lacking "juice"), both worked, but that doesn't mean I don't feel for people who have the money but Steam is in their way. Also, with all the problems Steam has had in this department, its no wonder people don't trust it to keep their info secure.

Upvote 0
Byte Me said:
1.:confused: That was exactly the war I was talking about, there has been no other war between the Soviet Union and Germany (well maybe in some alternate universe you aware of and I am not). Oh and " While they didn't do it in the name of it but they did do it." There is difference between doing something and doing in the "name" of it.
2. Neither are Nazi's, but you should get the idea of what I meant, I'm not gonna spoon feed people common knowledge.
3. Maybe just 'barbaric' would be better. And yes even though "Enemy at the Gates" exaggerated a little, it was still pretty brutal because Stalin refused to yield the city which bore his name. He did not care how many died or how they died. Oh and btw "In the Soviet Army, it takes more courage to retreat than advance." - Joseph Stalin.
Weird because didn't someone post a little ways back about it not being in Best Buy? And what exactly do you mean by steadily? Like for the past couple weeks or days? Are you going there everyday to check this :p?
Uhh, they kept the city not because it bore its name but because the Germans needed to capture it to cover their flanks as they were attacking the Caucasus. If Germany captured the Caucasus they would get vast amounts of oil which would basically mean defeat for Russia. Has nothing to do with its name. Read up on history before you start spouting your cold war bs.

Upvote 0
Ya know, the fact that so many reviews have pointed out that it's got a steep learning curve and that some feel it's "too realistic" (how is that a bad thing, exactly? :confused: ) probably keeps some away from the game, but I really think it'll eventually draw more to the game, too -- I know that as I type this, I'm trying to decide whether or not to splurge today and spend the $25. I've never gotten into FPS-type games too much in the past, not because I mind getting killed, but because I mind what happens after I'm killed -- i.e., all the immature jerks (both young and old) start with their lame "1337-speek".

The more I've wandered these boards, though, the more I realize that as a whole, the community seems to be more mature -- so, odds are that very soon, I'll be coming to a server near you. :)

For Tripwire's sake, I certainly hope RO does sell a lot more copies, because I love to see companies succeed financially for putting together solid products. At the same time, though, I rather like the "small-town feel" of the community, something I hope doesn't change as sales numbers (hopefully) increase.

The only other thing that's made me a bit nervous is the fact that I have 512MB of RAM, and I'm worried that the loadtime woes will hit me...but, I see there are a ton of suggested tweaks, and like I read someplace else, as long as the game play's absorbing, I'm not really going to care if I have to turn my graphics way down and look like I'm playing something that looks like oatmeal. :D

Upvote 0
You guys still puking out the same ole crap??..LoL The game is very unappealing and lacks so many things a wwii game should have, and your excuse is still, "It's for adults, it's an acquired taste" "It's just too hard for you", No, the games is very subpar and I told you guys what would happen, and it happened exactly like i told you it would. TW WILL NOT put out a demo because they know they would lose sales. Only when sales are completely flat and there's nothing to lose, they might put out a demo. But if i had a demo before purchase, i wouldn't have bought it. I think it's fine for those who are afraid of quick thinking and action combat. To say that there were never battles that had hardcore combat is preference in denial. There's a reason so many like to be snipers, they don't have to think fast, and they're safe hiding behind a bush, that seems to be the type of player this game captivates, and thats fine, but don't whine about how few a player count there is.

Upvote 0
STEELHED said:
You guys still puking out the same ole crap??..LoL The game is very unappealing and lacks so many things a wwii game should have, and your excuse is still, "It's for adults, it's an acquired taste" "It's just too hard for you", No, the games is very subpar and I told you guys what would happen, and it happened exactly like i told you it would. TW WILL NOT put out a demo because they know they would lose sales. Only when sales are completely flat and there's nothing to lose, they might put out a demo. But if i had a demo before purchase, i wouldn't have bought it. I think it's fine for those who are afraid of quick thinking and action combat. To say that there were never battles that had hardcore combat is preference in denial. There's a reason so many like to be snipers, they don't have to think fast, and they're safe hiding behind a bush, that seems to be the type of player this game captivates, and thats fine, but don't whine about how few a player count there is.
I will give you $10. for your RO... if you got a box.;) I know plenty of people I could Gift this game too.
I'm glad you will have fun bunnyhopping on CoD2...I hear they have a Demo:p

Upvote 0
STEELHED said:

The only person "whining" is you?
If you don't like the game fine then that's your right but don't post idiotic rubbish about something you appear to know very little about.
Are you privy to TW's sales figures?
Are you a game developer of some note who can back up your "guesses" with either experience or fact?
It seems you have very little to offer except petty whinging about a game you don't like.

You state "The game is very unappealing and lacks so many things a wwii game should have"...like?
and more
"To say that there were never battles that had hardcore combat is preference in denial"
You mean being able to leap from 4 stories in a single bound whilst aiming your crosshair and killing someone in the spawn area?....lol very "hardcore"

I have found from my own experience that many players who currently play CoD and BF2 cannot handle RO as it's simply to slow for them.
It requires a little thought to play the game and not just a matter of "bouncing about" on map after map.
the lack off no crosshairs, no jumping, no massive kill fest does not make a game any less worthy.
it just makes it different and if you can't handle that then go play something you can...

Upvote 0
STEELHED said:

Thing is, it *is* an acquired taste, just like any game is. It is all personal preference. Just like your personal preference is twitch-reflex shooters (nothing wrong with that, I enjoy a Q3 match now and then myself), mine (and that of several others) is a slower and more involved shooter.

EDIT: Personal attack removed, I felt bad about it afterwards. Damned propper upbringing and all :(

Upvote 0
Yes, I admit -- having a demo to look at before I take the plunge would be nice...but I've done my homework -- I've looked through this forum, other forums, read reviews, and watched gameplay movies. Conclusion? It looks like a game I'll enjoy. So, I'm getting ready to start downloading it, and I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl amidst this great community of players. And hey, I figure if for some reason I don't like it, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience -- I've definitely had learning experiences that cost me a LOT more than $25, so it seems like a bargain either way. :)

It's too bad that some people don't like this game...that it's not their cup of tea for whatever reason...but hey, that happens.

In any case, see y'all on the battlefield. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does not run on my $7000 system. Unstable product tends to reduce widespread sales!! I've had mega-Runtime errors into others now. I ignorantly paid $33 bucks at best buy for this POS!!!!! Very suprising that these problems were not weeded out in beta, also Steam does not seem in any hurry to patch or advise on how to fix??? :mad:

My anti-virus is now gone, I am really desperate to get this damn R.O. running again. I have now uninstalled systemsuite 6 which is made/sold by vcom. It has alot of gui for editing registry links. I like it better than Norton. Anyway, I have been deleting various recommended files for the last 36 hours and I just got a different error. I thought I had finally beat the G.D. runtime error but now I get : Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]
CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2413 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: No Video
Direct3DCreate8 failed.
History: CreateDirect3D <- UD3D9RenderDevice::Init <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

I don't think the no video is it?? I have an Invidia quadro 3450 with the latest 84.26 driver from invidia's site.??? It's seems to be fine other than a few installs ago I had some letters/fonts disengrating???
PLEASE HELP AS I AM GETTING CLOSE TO THE EDGE!!!

Upvote 0
I fixed the Runtime Error by uninstalling steam, uninstalling RO, ran CCleaner, defragged, installed steam, defragged installed RO, defragged, now it runs fine except for the 1 in 30[aprox] times my system crashes,not any worse than BF2 though.
I make sure *-Mule is not running... sometimes I forget to shut it down and this is when I notice crashes, 1 time I crashed when my anti-virus started a scheduled scan.

This was a P.I.t.A.,but the game was worth the trouble IMO. I don't know if it will work for you. My system=$700.
P4 3.0 LGA775 1mb L2 cache, 800 MHzFSB
ASUS P5GD1
saphireX300SE128mb PCIE:eek:
1.5gigs DDR400
250gig WD 7,200 SATA HD; WinXP
350W PSU; Antec SuperLanBoy case.
20" Sony Trinitron MultiscanG500 :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As long as using Steam is the only way to play this game, I will never buy it.

If I could buy it off someone else and play it without connecting to Steam in anyway I would be happiest of all.

I have considered buying Unreal and then downloading the mod instead. I'm still loosely in "wait and see" mode as I would ultimately prefer to buy the latest iteration of the game.

If there is "no game without Steam", then so be it.
I would rather send my money to the Promote Heroin In Schools Appeal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0