• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam automatically updated now game freezes on load

Six_Ten

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006
aztecmod.darkesthourgame.com
I ran RO to have a quick game and Steam automaticallly updated itself and required a reboot. Annoying enough. I restarted then ran RO again, found a server, and it showed the connecting screen, then froze my computer. I tried it again after a hard reboot. Same thing. So wtf kind of voodoo do I have to perform now just to get to play a quick game?

The fix

The fix

Ok, here's the fix that I got to work. Everyone that I know that has this problem also had the SDK installed. Go to the C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[yoursteamaccountname]\red orchestra folder, backup anything in there that you may want to save, for example your screenshots folder, demos folder, and you might want to save your system folder. You can probably also just leave those folders alone and it will work... then delete everything else. Most of those files and folders were created by the SDK. After that, and this also may not be necessary, but I backed up and deleted the two redorchestrasdk.gcf files that are in the SteamApps folder. Of course this means you won't be able to use the SDK, but I decided playing the game was more important. After that, restart steam and launch the game and everything should work. If not, you'll have to take it up with Tripwire and/or Steam. Good luck,

MKA

Upvote 0
confirmed, works

althou all i did was delete everything in the
Steam\SteamApps\[yoursteamaccountname]\red orchestra folder exept for the folder i wanted to save including demo, screenshots, and Cache (contains your downloaded custom maps and mutators)
you also need to delete you system folder BUT you can save all your settings by not deleting redorchestra.ini and user.ini found in that folder.

be sure steam is shut down befor you do this thou, i got a BSOD when i tryed to move the files while steam was running (but that was right after i ended a locked up red orchestra process so that might have been the cause)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did some more tinkering and found that at least on my system, the old System folder had to be deleted. Yes, this means you will need to re-enter your settings. Fair warning though that doing this can indeed cause a blue screen of death. It's not a problem as long as you have nothing important running in the background and no files open that haven't been saved.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the fix.

I had the same problem and this fix worked for me. I did save my screenshots, and my 2 .ini files from the System folder. This fix is not difficult or too time consuming to do, just annoying.

If you do not restart your system after RO froze and try to delete the system folder, you will get a BSOD. Recommend restarting first. Afterwards, delete everything from the red orchestra folder as stated above, restart your system and then run ROOST. It should come up with default settings. I then exited and copied my 2 saved .ini files back into the system folder, and then everything works great.

HOWEVER, as a test, I did try to run the editor again after this, it loaded up just fine and all. I then exited and tried to join a server in ROOST and the problem started all over again. I had to repeat the process of deleting the folders etc and now ROOST is working again. I don't plan to start up the editor until this is fixed.

I guess that is why the SDK is still a Beta.

It is also why lots of people don't care for STEAM. Unfortunately for ROOST, it is a necessary evil. I never have cared for programs that auto-update (I prefer manual updates) and STEAM just reinforces that opinion. Oh Well, back to playing ROOST.

Upvote 0