• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Get Outta My Tank!"

Lizardhands said:
You obviously haven't played against me.

I tend to do very nicely by myself.

>:)

Same here. It's not about Ego. I simply play better in a tank by myself no matter what some here are implying. That is simply a fact.

And for the record, I never tell people to get out of my tank EVER. However, if there is a spare tank available and some guy jumps into the one I am in I will jump out and get to the other tank. That's my option and choice.

And that is what my post is all about OPTIONS. Give us the OPTION to go either way. IOW......LET THE PLAYER DECIDE! Not the Mob.

If you force a blanket mode modification for everybody accross the board, that alianates one group of people then you may loose some very good tankers.
And for the record, A good tanker is hard to find.

Most of the tank map games I have been on are pure cluster F$I*s of cluesless people in tanks and nothing more. Most have no concept of what capturing means it sometimes it seems.

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
No, the question should be will a good 2 man crew out do 2 one man crews?

Answer is - never.

On most maps (not all, but most) solo tanking is tactically smarter thing to do. Period.

Agree 100%.

The uberness of a good coordinated tank crew talking in real time may be more deadly in theory but online the reality is something completely different.

And it appears that some here think the game is about getting kills. It's not. Its about capping or defending (recaping). Yet another reason to split that three man tank crew up into three tanks as that would be more logistically effective.

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
So let me get this straight. Sitting there and arguing with the lone ranger and then having him shoot you is preferred by you over getting a "this tank is locked" message? :rolleyes:

I don't get it. My idea might not make everybody happy but it would end the arguing and other crap that you experienced. All the BS confrontations between the "teamwork or else" guys and the "get out of my tank rangers" would end.

I though that would be a good thing as my idea would simply segregate the "teamwork" guys from the "lone rangers". That way we both could play in peace.

Ever hear of "Good fences make Good Neighbors"?

BTW, if you want to play against bots offline that's fine with me but we sure will miss you on the online tank servers. Whatever floats your boat.

I don't agree with the 'this tank is locked' message idea...

As far as him getting shot, I am sure he wouldn't and he would prefer the guy not be an idiot and not tk him.

HOWEVER, if you were to MOD this so servers could choose to use it and not have it worked into the standard game, it would be a great idea and many people would thank you. I for one, however, would not be playing on those servers.

Upvote 0
Divinehammer said:
Well I played with Buddylee and Damon on Sat. and they were teaming it and getting in some good shots. VOODOOFURY is also an excellent TT I might add. The team chatter was great and we were annihilating the enemy. This all makes for a memorable game. Can you SOLO tankers remember the name of anyone you recently played with? I am all about team tanking and I cant wait for the time delay. I agree there are some idiots out there on both sides of this argument some TTs that are wild and dont listen and some Solos that will just sit till you get out. Which usually just brings on a whole lot of TKing and even less teamwork. I believe I am going to start a new thread for a new server switch one that will not allow tanks to move until two players are present in tank. Then you solos can go on down the road.
Yea, me and Damon were rackin' up some killz. And before that match, we had never met before... proof that in game communication works quite well with like-minded gamers. :D

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
No, the question should be will a good 2 man crew out do 2 one man crews?

Answer is - never.

On most maps (not all, but most) solo tanking is tactically smarter thing to do. Period.
Bologna. If I am driving and I spot 2 enemies, I back up or head for cover. Then I pop in and out of cover to kill 1 tank at a time. My gunner reloads while I put us safely behind cover and correct the angle of the hull. Most of the time I kill the solo tankers with a flank-shot while they run for cover. Or I get the first shot in when they are forced to re-aquire me in their turret sights, after a quick re-position.

Upvote 0
sammy said:
Aimed at GonzoX:

Sorry for my comment.

The real problem is switching from position to position instantly. There are always going to be players who don't listen to you, and that is probably going to lead to your death. But, you can always check with your driver or gunner to make sure they are listening before leaving spawn. The main point is that single manned tanks need to be nerfed with a timer, so that people who play as a team get rewarded.

I really hope there is a fix for this in the next patch.
I don't. Two-manned tanks are already significantly more capable, given equal player skill, than one-man tanks. Crippling one-man tanks by adding a switch delay won't improve the game but will drive a lot of players away. Doesn't seem broken to me so in my view no fix required.

On the other hand, I would love to see a proper exit animation for crew leaving tanks. It's too easy to jump out and shoot a sneaking sapper - IRL it takes several seconds at least to exit the tank and then longer to get a small-arm ready to fire. This gives the tank crew an unfair advantage against a sapper trying to take them out.

I would also like to see players killed or empty positions disabled by a penetrating hit in that area. This way we effectively simulate fully-manned tanks even if we only have one player in the vehicle.

Regards

Upvote 0
Hmmm, no one mentioned how unfair it is to have 9 tankcrew classes in a team with only 4 tanks. If those were solo'ed then there would possibly be 5 people without a job. Boring, selfish etc etc...
I would like a delay added and no locking of vehicles implemented.
Solo tankers should be severely hampered if not being stopped altogether from leaving the spawn area.
There are allready too many games where you can solo vehicles and it allways ends up in people fighting amongst themselves over the vehicles.

Upvote 0
Now Im starting to believe you deliberately are misunderstanding me. Lets tkae it step by step.
GonzoX said:
So let me get this straight. Sitting there and arguing with the lone ranger and then having him shoot you is preferred by you over getting a "this tank is locked" message? :rolleyes:

No, I did not argue, I asked if he wanted to gun. And half the tank crw standing in spawn because a bunch of solo tankers locked their tanks are not my idea of fun.

GonzoX said:
I don't get it. My idea might not make everybody happy but it would end the arguing and other crap that you experienced. All the BS confrontations between the "teamwork or else" guys and the "get out of my tank rangers" would end.
Once, only once have I experienced such. 90% of the time we use teamwork in the tanks and its just so fun!

GonzoX said:
I though that would be a good thing as my idea would simply segregate the "teamwork" guys from the "lone rangers". That way we both could play in peace.
would only work if we play on different servers, unfortunately. As the idea would seperate us like this: "Lone Rangers" (He had Tonto to help him, right?) inside locked tanks, "teamwork" guys locked out and having no option but to go infantry (if its a cf map, else no option at all)

GonzoX said:
Ever hear of "Good fences make Good Neighbors"?
Yes, it let the neighbours do what they like on their own ground, but to meet on public ground you need to have a common set of decent behaviour, right?

GonzoX said:
BTW, if you want to play against bots offline that's fine with me but we sure will miss you on the online tank servers. Whatever floats your boat.

I dont want to, as I prefer teamwork. It would however solve your predicament as a bot dont get offended when being locked out.

Bottom line, if this idea is to work it have to be a server mutator, allowing you solo guys to do that on the solo tankers servers.
I

Upvote 0
Divinehammer said:
Well I played with Buddylee and Damon on Sat. and they were teaming it and getting in some good shots. VOODOOFURY is also an excellent TT I might add. The team chatter was great and we were annihilating the enemy. This all makes for a memorable game. Can you SOLO tankers remember the name of anyone you recently played with?
I played with Heldentod from the forums...that was fun and we worked good together...i also played with some dude named Spartacus who was a pretty decent driver(and didnt abandon me when both tracks were shot up)

I played with DaL Unteroffizer G but that wasnt very fun

Upvote 0
The only way a multi-crew tank can dominate a bunch of solo tankers is if all the tankers on a side co-operate. I do believe that 6 solo tankers can be taken out by 3 2-man crewed tanks. But only if those 3 tanks work together. Especially if they can get an infantryman out there spotting for them.

Upvote 0
sammy said:
Hi Grobut. Yes, that was me! It was a fun game considering we only had a few people in the server.

Hehe, it was pretty nasty just me and CAD trying to keep you and FunTo from taking the trenches :D

But we sure prooved the value of angling tanks! i wonder how many shells where exchanged on the peninsula with neither of the tanks beeing able to penetrate the other.

Upvote 0
Hi, if you see me online and you get in my tank, please get out. I don't want you there.

I got to the tank first, you didn't. Stay away from me & my tank. Maybe I should put a (GO) near my name for Get Out!

Since I made it to the tank first then that gives me dibs. It is rude of YOU to get in & bother me.

Why would I want to drive you to the battle so that you get to have all the fun shooting at people while I just chaffeur you around? I just worked all day in real life, now I've come home to play the game & relax. If I wait for a tank & get in a tank & drive away, OBVIOUSLY I really don't want or need you to jump in.

Note the rounds do not load faster with two people. They just load when you are in the gunner seat. I've gotten quite good and shoting, driving the tank behind a building, reloading, & popping out again to fire. In fact it's quite fun. And I have a great time doing TEAMWORK stuff with OTHER tanks fighting the enemy & working with other foot soldiers. Your definition of teamwork being "waaa you must share tank" is not my definition of teamwork.

Doolittle

Upvote 0
One more thing - I play at 1920x1200 on a 24" widescreen... if you want to tank with me I expect as-good or better hardware so you can actually see what's going on around our tank. I shouldn't have to die because you are too poor to buy a better computer and monitor!

Please note that this is Sarcasm... but with a nugget of truth... flame on.

Upvote 0
Doolittle said:
Hi, if you see me online and you get in my tank, please get out. I don't want you there.

I got to the tank first, you didn't. Stay away from me & my tank. Maybe I should put a (GO) near my name for Get Out!

Since I made it to the tank first then that gives me dibs. It is rude of YOU to get in & bother me.

Why would I want to drive you to the battle so that you get to have all the fun shooting at people while I just chaffeur you around? I just worked all day in real life, now I've come home to play the game & relax. If I wait for a tank & get in a tank & drive away, OBVIOUSLY I really don't want or need you to jump in.

Note the rounds do not load faster with two people. They just load when you are in the gunner seat. I've gotten quite good and shoting, driving the tank behind a building, reloading, & popping out again to fire. In fact it's quite fun. And I have a great time doing TEAMWORK stuff with OTHER tanks fighting the enemy & working with other foot soldiers. Your definition of teamwork being "waaa you must share tank" is not my definition of teamwork.

Doolittle

Translation:

I got to the tank first, you didn't. (good thing I spawned closer) Stay away from me & my tank. When the developers made this game, they didn't mean that I had to share it. Maybe I should put a (GO) near my name for Get Out!

Since I made it to the tank first then that gives me dibs(funny, I thought this was BF2, doesn't look like BF2.... Anyway, it doesn't matter that it is a public server and you will be stranded doing nothing in the spawn area. It is rude of YOU to get in & bother me.

Why would I want to drive you to the battle so that you get to have all the fun shooting at people while I just chaffeur you around because I don't have enough sense to switch to the gunner position when I see you coming? I just worked all day in real life, now I've come home to play the game & relax. I don't care if you worked all day too, because everything is about me. If I wait for a tank & get in a tank & drive away, OBVIOUSLY I really don't want or need you to jump in.I am single handedly trying to drive away all the team players from the game and this server I am on and you are interfering with my plans.

Note the rounds do not load faster with two people. They just load when you are in the gunner seat. I've gotten quite good and shoting, driving the tank behind a building, reloading, & popping out again to fire. In fact it's quite fun (why doesn't COD2 have tanks? I should be playing that) And I have a great time doing TEAMWORK stuff with OTHER tanks fighting the enemy & working with other foot soldiers. I am way too good to be a foot soldier, and all you tank troops stranded in the spawn area are now foot soldiers too HA HA! Your definition of teamwork being "waaa you must share tank" is not my definition of teamwork. My definition of teamwork is me, myself and I!

-----------------------------------------------

I couldn't help myself....

Doolittle, if you made your post to be sarcastic, it was, wow.

If not, your post is up there with one of the most obnoxious posts I have seen in the forum.

Upvote 0
-MM!!-Lazarus said:
Now Im starting to believe you deliberately are misunderstanding me. Lets tkae it step by step.

G:How exactly do you deliberately misunderstand?

No, I did not argue, I asked if he wanted to gun. And half the tank crw standing in spawn because a bunch of solo tankers locked their tanks are not my idea of fun.

G:Not saying you argued, saying he argued and that arguments are what usually occurs when this happens. If not an argument then at least some kind of confrontation occurs.

Once, only once have I experienced such. 90% of the time we use teamwork in the tanks and its just so fun!

G:May be, but I see it online all the time. Just last night I got into a tank with one driver and made myself MGer thinking this would be OK (yes I do teamwork sometimes). As it turns out the guy jumps out of tank and starts shooting tank with pistol. So I drove off after giving him enough time to change his mind.

G:Granted, he may have been an agry and immature pre-teen but there are lots of them on every server I go to.

would only work if we play on different servers, unfortunately. As the idea would seperate us like this: "Lone Rangers" (He had Tonto to help him, right?) inside locked tanks, "teamwork" guys locked out and having no option but to go infantry (if its a cf map, else no option at all)

G:Well not really. You could simply wait for the lone rangers to get killed and take the next tank at spawn. This should not take long since you and many others believe lone rangers are not as effective etc.

Yes, it let the neighbours do what they like on their own ground, but to meet on public ground you need to have a common set of decent behaviour, right?

G:Agree 99% But using your own analogy there are smokers in "public" and there is no law that states they have to put out their smokes when a non-smoker walks by right? I still think my method would be more popularly recieved than the switch seat waiting time. Just my opinion. Why are we even arguing about this? Do you actually think you can convice me otherwise?

I dont want to, as I prefer teamwork. It would however solve your predicament as a bot dont get offended when being locked out.

G:Well here we have a problem in that because "I" dont agree with what "you" want, you are insinuating that "I" should leave online servers and not enjoy the game I paid for because "you" do not agree with the way that "I" prefer to play.

G:I find this somwhat selfish and borderline arrogant. Please re-read what you just posted and what it impies.

G:You do not want to solve my perdicament at all, you just want to have things "your way". Sorry but it just won't work that way. We all have a say so and your opinion is no more valuable than mine.

Bottom line, if this idea is to work it have to be a server mutator, allowing you solo guys to do that on the solo tankers servers.
I

Upvote 0
Doolittle said:

Doolittle

LMAO!

Good post! Sums up my feelings exactly.

What some of you guys are forgeting is that single manned tanks DO EXCELLENT TEAMWORK together. I do it all the time.

YES, us lone tankers talk to each other and coordinate our attacks and caps *gasp*. It's true.

So much for the "you hate teamwork" argument LOL.

Thank you for reminding us all of that fact doolittle.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I find tank maps to be quite boring when everyone is 1 man to a tank.

For the most part, its just a static battlefield. We could call the game "Artillery Commander." The objective is simple: get in position, fire, adjust, fire, adjust... die, repeat.

Multiple-crew tanks create a dynamic battlefield, where both you and the enemy are moving. Its much more interesting tactically and the matches dont end up being played exactly the same way every time.

Arad, for instance will ALWAYS have at least:

-------------
One german tank hull down in their main.

One russian tank hull down in the N. field.

An exposed Russian tank in between the N village and the Russian infantry spawn, accompanied by a corresponding german tank in the south field.

Another Russian/German tank in the towns or river.

------------

Each of these elements will stay in those positions until they die. They may return, or switch positions a bit, but it will mostly play out the same. In the case of Arad or Barashka, its most likely going to be a stalemate.

I guess game like this could be fun, but I dont know about you, but I got my fill of that type of gaming in the late 80's/early 90s:

softpc.gif

(Qbasic Gorilla)

Upvote 0
Gee, last time I played Arad I played as Inf and the reds owned the Germans in under a minute both times. I laughed the first time and then cried for the Germans the second as it was embarrasing for them.

No Idea. The Germans were piddling about probably winging about teaming up in tanks to notice that the Reds Inf had under the cover of their tanks gone to cap both sites simultaneously. God only knows what the Germans were doing.

Team play can be with 2 or more in a tank working together or it can be tanks working with tanks and inf regardless of how many players in each individual vehicle. I personally think it is better to have all assets committed to the engagement rather than piddle about with 2 to 3 tankers per vehicle. Why field 2 tanks when you can have effectively 4 or more out there?

I think the game is fine in that regaurd as it is. If you want to slow down exit times for tankers then I counter with that the commander should be able to pop the turret hatch and use a side arm. Would have happened in real life and if you want it to take us 3 to 5 seconds to exit a vehicle then we should be able to use out side arms.

Just everyone stop being righteous about your preferences. On pubs there are some good tank team players and there are some crap ones. If know to be good I will team if know to be crap I will solo, no more no less.

Upvote 0