• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The War in Iraq, good or bad? speak your mind here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunwing

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
First off let me say I could find no other place to posts this so heres my thread. Draw your own conclusions from what I say or challange me but please keep it clean and friendly.

first off some things you should know about this so called "war" in our history:

1. To call it a war is wrong, we never officaly declared war on Iraq. A real war can only ocur when one nation declares war on another.

2. Wether you agree with it or not the fact is that this is an occupation, and an invasion, not a peacefull helping hand.

3. Things in Iraq are worse off than when they started. Many people have died on both sides, and more continue to die for what may or may not be a good cause.

Now I ask that we have a nice calm dibate about this continueing chapter in our history. Share your thoughts, and mind but please no rasist comments about any of the people or nations involved in this so called "war in Iraq."

Political discussions are prohibited

Just a warning, the above is part of the Rules stickied at the top of each forum (including this one) If i see the SLIGHTEST crap starting, this thread will be closed - I would love to see a good mature debate happen, but in the 500 times we have tried and allowed this sort of discussion before in the past, it has ALWAYS degenerated into country bashing and flaming and insults followed by bans, thread closure, and a shitty mess to wade through deleting offending posts. I know a lot of you can discuss things maturely, but unfortunately a lot more are unable to.

Make this one of those rare times it doesnt happen and I will be very pleasantly surprised and happy :)

Upvote 0
Ok, here is my question: Why did USA went to Iraq?

There have been lots of reasons represented by USA goverment and by others.

Here are couple reasons and my comment on them:

- To revenge 9/11
I guess that at least many common people thought the war on Iraq like this(maybe I'm wrong)? I doubt that USA would have attacked there if 9/11 wouldn't have happened.

- Fight against terrorism?
I don't know but isn't this war only making terrorism grow bigger? At least the terror attacks have increased very heavily. Maybe people should think why there is terrorism and fix things and not just attack against it by using force.

- Weapons of mass destruction?
There wasn't any. Maybe a trick to make public support the war?

- To free Iraqi people?
If that would be the reason then why doesn't USA send forces to Africa or other places where people are oppressed by the goverment?

- For oil?
I doubt that was the main goal.

- Corrupt congress members and some people very high up in USA goverment?
I heard that these people have invested in weapon manufacture companies that make huge amount of money out of the war on Iraq. So the reason for the war could be that these people wanted more personal wealth?

Upvote 0
Hard not to get political on such a subject. So I try to keep it short:

The only good things I see with this war is that the world got rid of a very suppressive, inhuman regime, and that the US and it's allies at least tried to stabilize the region.

Many errors were made though, and most of all that the US deliberately lied to the world public about its motivation to wage that war. Fact is: the US is the only remaining super power of the cold war. Thus, they can do pretty much anything they want regarding foreign affairs. So if they went to the UN security council and proclaimed: "We have problems with Iraq's leader Saddam Hussein for decades. Now we have a strong economical interests to put him out of power. Additionally, we will try to liberate the people of Iraq and transform the society into a modern democracy to stabilize the whole region", I would still oppose the war because I am a passionate pacifist.
The US though did feign a story about weapons of mass destruction. Because of that, I didn't only oppose the war, but also to me the US has lost much of its credibility. This try to "outsmart" the rest of the world simply feels too much like a totalitarian autocratic regime than the oldest modern democracy.

Upvote 0
There's a canadian strategic analyst type by the name of Michael Ignatieff (he just ran for, and won, a seat in the Canadian house of parliament) who's written extensively on human rights, war, strategic issues, etc. His basic point is this:

If you truly believe in human rights and the equality of humans, then you really should be the first person in line to invade countries that abuse their own citizens.

Now, mind you, Ignatieff belongs to a centrist/left leaning political party, NOT a conservative party.

It's an interesting point of view, isn't it? I see it as a pay now or pay later type of equation. Many people in the west claim too many civilians are killed in these types of wars, and this is indeed a tragedy. But if the world let it be known that the only end for a despot was invasion, and death or trial, then I suspect there'd be a quick exploration of democratic institutions in many countries. Do you pay now, or pay later?

There are also those that say we don't have the right to do this. I don't buy that argument. Despotic, non-democratic countries disrupt and destabilize the countries around them, to say nothing of the damage they do to their own citizens. Ignatieff might argue not only do we have the right, we have an obligation to do something about it.

I don't speak about the war in Iraq, particularly. That's a horse that's already left the barn. Now that the U.S. IS there, they are obligated to stay until the country stabilizes. The only thing I might ask is: "Where is everyone else"?

Upvote 0
this is a touchy subject.

the war itself was justified with wrong causes from the beginning.

its right trying to put the ppl in charge instead of some dictator, but if that is a main justification, think about how many countries would have to be invaded if thats the credo (africa, anyone?)

the war was poorly planned, as they thought they'd be greated as liberators and could soon leave the country. but nation building is hard. stabilizing the region needs more countries than the us and the uk. I would even propose german and french troops, because they have a better reputation with the iraqi people.
a working democracy in Iraq would set an example for the whole middle east, and might even help the conflicts in israel and palestine.

Upvote 0
A war is when atleast two armies fight... so you see, right there, it's not exactly a war. It's more of a way for the only superpower on the planet to consolidate it's role as sole hegemon in preparation for the upcoming energy crisis due to the peak in global oil production. It's all about geopolitics and the control, and strategic denial, of resources (esp. regarding critical energy sources like oil). Most of the remaining oil reserves are concentrated in the Middle East. This region has been at the center of world politics for decades, and will grow even more pivotal as we continue down on the road to energy scarcity and escalating resource wars.

I mean look at the first Gulf war. The "Elite republican guards"? They were more like "guards made up by elite republicans". The Iraqi army, even back then, was the modern equivalent of medieval peasants armed with pitchforks going against cavalry and a couple of thousand english archers with longbows.

The U.S is currently building 14 permanent bases in Iraq. Would anyone invest billions in bases and then just leave them there as soon as "democracy has prevailed"? The majority of the Iraqi population is Shiite, and very friendly to Iran. A democratic Iraq would thus be an ally to Iran, not exactly in line with the American agenda... Why do you think the U.S supported Saddam during the Iran-Iraq war? Why is there video of a somewhat younger Rumsfeld shaking hands with his pal Saddam during the 80's, - this at a time when Saddam was using nervegas on Kurds? What does this say about Rumsfeld's true opinion of WMD's?

Think about WW1. It was never about the control of some muddy hill or field in Western Europe, or the assassination of some ridiculous Archduke in Sarajevo. No one is that popular, haha. Only Michael Jackson have fans that devoted, and that is the exception to the rule.

It was about geopolitics (power) and the struggle for resources between nations. The war was pretty much started because Germany was becoming a threat to England due to it's rapid growth in the decades leading up the war. The (pretty large) drop that made the cup spill over was when the Germans started to construct a railroad between Berlin and Baghdad, thus undermining the influence and power of the British Empire and it's Royal Navy which was until then controlling the world's trading routes. The Germans had mineral rights on 1 km out from both sides of the railway. Guess what they stumbled across while laying down tracks outside Basra (in Mesopotamia/Iraq)? And guess again where the British sent some of their first troops?

This was a time when oil was becoming the dominating fuel - the British Navy had just switched over from coal to oil etc.

After WW2, which was IMO more or less just a continuation of WW1, the United States took over the dominating role from the British. The dollar replaced the sterling as the world's reserve currency, the American Navy dominated the seas, and Wall Street became the world's financial center instead of the City of London.

Is there anyone here that actually believes that the current talk about attacking Iran is about denying them of nuclear weapons because this would be a threat to Israel? Israel has lots of nukes and would not hesitate to use them if they themselves were ever attacked. Mutually Assured Destruction might be sick and crazy to begin with, but it works... In truth it's all about controlling the Middle East. A more powerful Iran is a threat to the U.S domination in the region. It's very simple really when you ignore the talking heads on TV and start to think for yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think both wars were justified. The only difference between WW2 and the Iraq War is better TV coverage. Infact, it was the point where Saddam was gassing other people as well. Just to a smaller scale.

But heres something to think about. Iraq and Iran are so backwards that they can't even civily rule themselves like the Romans 2000 years ago, the majority is uneducated and are eager to pledge themselves to jihad or even blowing themselves up. They've demonstrated that they are not worthy of possessing a resource which is the only thing that gives them leverage and prevents us from going crazy on them. Seeing as how they're unwilling to compromise and that their leaders wish to pursue nuclear capability to threaten other nations (and who can blame them, the problem is that these are people who want to cause death to those who follow any other religion except Islam), I think the solution would be to siphon all the oil away from the Middle East.

Heres what that would do: We'd NEVER ever have to worry about the Middle East, EVER again. What are they going to do, have the first bicycle brigade since 1942? We'd also help to alleviate the oil problem we have in America and be claiming what we /earned/ from the war. We captured a dictator who was gassing the Kurds, the LEAST we're entitled to is something that can alleviate the suffering that we have and are currently going through while liberating a country. After all, we took America from the natives, therfore it became ours (and don't say that it was wrong, because the Native Americans that many refer to as "indians" weren't native themselves, so you could say that nature is taking its course, but we are fortunate to be living in a tolerant soceity which is willing to integrate them into our own culture)

When an armed criminal kills someone, first you arrest him, then you take away the implements he used against you, the you lock him up for good (ideally, but in America, we have a revolving door system which allows criminals back on the streets). The problem would then be eliminated as you'd never have to worry about that criminal anymore. Now, take away what makes the Middle East is so important (because they've demonstrated that they aren't responsible enough to possess them), and we don't worry about them.

Upvote 0
Mikhail Kalashnikov said:
yeah, we'd better start busting down on vietnam,korea, and desert storm because thats the truth.
According to dictionary.com

dictionary.com said:
war
n.
    1. A state of open, armed, often prolonged conflict carried on between nations, states, or parties.
    2. The period of such conflict.
    3. The techniques and procedures of war; military science.

Trust me, those are wars.

Upvote 0
Sclass12 said:
According to dictionary.com

Trust me, those are wars.

Still I have to agree with one documentory on the military chanel about the Gulf War in that war should not be seen as a first choice. War should always be a last resort because of the massive los of life that happens in war. No war is without loss of human life and no war ever will be.

Another thing is what makes it right to go to war in the first place? I'm not saying they did not happen, and infact I agree with the Gulf Wars as another nation also an allie was attacked by a foriegn power. I just question the costs of makeing such an act of what we call "war" which to me is just another form of mass murder, and then choseing to do it?????? Is that realy the right thing to do? Who are we to juge other peoples land? More or less change their ways of life.......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
War in Iraq or not, the (Islamic extremist) terrorism will continue growing and we will be seeing increasing amount of suicide bombings in 'Western' countries. There's nothing we can do to stop it for another 100 years or so.

If there were no war in Iraq, they'd say the reason for this suicide bomber was because [enter_your_favourite_excuse_anything_really_will_do] instead of 'Attack on Iraq was an attack on Islam and we are here to revenge it.'

There's no reasoning with fundamentalists, of any kind, and they can only be stopped from inside (= by their own people) once people supplying and supporting them realise/ grow tired to their politics, excuses and start to fight against their brain-washing.

Upvote 0
Yes, its called education. Arab nations used to lead in technology during the Middle Ages, but now, after being uneducated for several generations, they're at the bottom of the rung of average overall intellect. There have already been signs of the youth starting to resent their government and wanting democracy, but the point is, if your disaffected arab teenager hasn't been educated, it really isn't hard to convince him to strap a bomb to himself and tell him that he'll be greeted by many hot virgin girls in heaven by blowing himself up and killing >3 people, otherwise he'll go to hell.

Upvote 0
Spade: Would you mind referring to anything or anyone outside of yourself to strengthen that argument? For a more reality-based take on the islamist terrorism I suggest you watch the excellent three-part documentary called "The Power of Nightmares", produced by the BBC.

If it weren't for American training and funding, no one would know anything about some Saudi called Usama bin Laden. Al Qaida by the way is not even an organization. They are not some James Bond-type of villains with a super-secret HQ in the mountains of Pakistan or something. It's just an idea and a loose idealogy basically. Anyone that adheres to their basic beliefs can make an IED or commit a suicide-bombing and then later on call themselves "Al Qaida" in a letter or video sent to Al-Jazeera or published on the Internet.
It's not a trademarked name... This whole Zarqawi hysteria in the Western media is truly laughable. He is just a product of the American propaganda-machine tied to the war effort in Iraq. It's bad PR if people would realize that 99% of the insurgency in Iraq consists of Iraqis (mostly Sunnis although this is beginning to change) trying to oust an illegal invader.

By the way, are you people aware of the fact that Usama has bad kidneys and has to go through dialysis several times a week? Do you really think he could do this while on the run, hiding beneath some rock in the Tora Bora-mountains, supposedly being chased by the most sophisticated intelligence agencies in the world?

The level of ignorance displayed by some writers in this thread is really entertaining. You seem to believe that the majority of the 1 billion muslims on this planet are crazy-ass fundamentalists with flag-burning and bomb-making as their favorite hobbies. Get real. A brilliant example would be the images you were being spoon-fed on the day of the "liberation" of Baghdad, when American troops were tearing down that big statue of Saddam. The cheering people in those images were not Iraqis, but teenagers airlifted in from other countries for the purpose of providing PR-friendly footage. The research done was so lousy however that the Americans provided them with obsolete versions of the Iraqi-flag. This was all uncovered afterwards and discussed in the European massmedia. I doubt FOX or any other major U.S network mentioned any of it though. It's just pathetic.

It's really the height of irony when an American like 'The Soup Nazi' talks about the backwards people of Iran, when in fact the general level of education of the populace is much higher in Iran than it is in the U.S. The Iranian schoolsystem is very advanced, and the 12-year olds there are more knowledgeable about the sciences and the world than most American highschool students are.

Don't be so naive as to think they actually believe they are going to be greeted by 77 virgins upon dieing as martyrs. Some retards might but most do not. They do it out of desperation and for want of being "heros", aswell as for the fact that their families will get paid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DingBat said:
There's a canadian strategic analyst type by the name of Michael Ignatieff (he just ran for, and won, a seat in the Canadian house of parliament) who's written extensively on human rights, war, strategic issues, etc. His basic point is this:

If you truly believe in human rights and the equality of humans, then you really should be the first person in line to invade countries that abuse their own citizens.

Now, mind you, Ignatieff belongs to a centrist/left leaning political party, NOT a conservative party.

It's an interesting point of view, isn't it? I see it as a pay now or pay later type of equation. Many people in the west claim too many civilians are killed in these types of wars, and this is indeed a tragedy. But if the world let it be known that the only end for a despot was invasion, and death or trial, then I suspect there'd be a quick exploration of democratic institutions in many countries. Do you pay now, or pay later?

There are also those that say we don't have the right to do this. I don't buy that argument. Despotic, non-democratic countries disrupt and destabilize the countries around them, to say nothing of the damage they do to their own citizens. Ignatieff might argue not only do we have the right, we have an obligation to do something about it.

I don't speak about the war in Iraq, particularly. That's a horse that's already left the barn. Now that the U.S. IS there, they are obligated to stay until the country stabilizes. The only thing I might ask is: "Where is everyone else"?

The biggest chink in this whole argument is that we prop up the same despots that we then say are "destabilizing forces."

Think about it. During the Cold War, and shortly after, Saddam Hussein was actually seen by the United States as a stabilizing factor against the fundamentalist regime that had just seized power in Iran.

And speaking of Iran, it too had been a regime we acknowledged and fully supported, despite the Shah being a ruthless dictator, simply because he oppossed Soviet influence.

So the question you have to ask yourself is this: was Saddam any less despotic when we supported him than he was when we toppled him? And with just as much importance, were the people of Iraq any less oppressed when we supported Saddam than they were when we invaded?

As you can see, the answer to this question kind of places people in a pickle, because we must go on further to ask ourselves that if he and his regime was tolerable at a certain point in time, what factors made for him to become intolerable? Saddam did not just become despotic overnight. We fully knew his methods and supported him economically and through selling him military hardware.

The fact that he then turns around and invades Kuwait made him "fall out of favor," but then suddenly he is painted as the evil dictator that he always was from the get go...so did we really decide that Saddam had to be taken down because he was despotic, or just because he was no longer "playing by the rules?"

Further examples are prevalent throughout Latin America. For example, we criticize the regime of Hugo Chavez, while at the same time endorsing those of Mexico and Colombia. Why is that? Is it because Chavez's regime is someone "more despotic" or "more corrupt" or "more oppressive" than that of the other countries we support in the region? Or is it simply that we are not in agreement with his economic policies and left leaning politics?

All of this brings into question the notion that the United States truly is motivated to act militarily for the purposes of defending freedom or liberating the oppressed. Why have we not interfered in other regions where human suffering is occurring on an immense scale? What ever happened to Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Cambodia, and other places? Why Iraq? Well, start looking at other factors such as the resources of the regions in question, and more light is shed.

I see your point about "pay now or pay later," and many have used good examples to advance this. For example, by theorizing what would have happened if the countries of Western Europe had put a stop to Hitler and Mussolinni early on, as oppossed to appeasing them through Munich and leaving Eritrea out to dry.

The problem for us as citizens though, is a matter of feasibility. I.E. is it really feasible to "take on the world?" Can one industrialzed nation, or even a coalition of them, take the fight to every despot of the earth?

If so, how long is this sustainable, both in terms of human cost and economics, for we do not directly as citizens derive any economic gain from such ventures. It gives us a "good feeling" inside that we are fighting oppression abroad, but is this at the expense of our futures? IT woudl seem it is, when deficits go through the roof, the cost of living rises, and the United States cannot even adequately cover its own crisises, such as the Katrina aftermath.

Devoting all of your resources to fighing despotism abroad is not something any state in the history of the earth has ever done, and we must ask ourselves if this is for good reason.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.