• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO: How to implement the instinctive FEAR TO DIE?

@ Oldih
:confused: Woah your way off. There would be no punishment for an individual dying, just for the team that loses.

murhis
You've failed to show me how this would improve the gameplay any and you've completely forgot how it would break the game balance. Especially when ppl are already moaning about the game balance. I really dont see the point of taking clips away from ppl even though it wouldn't matter a lot. But why?
Oh we have showed you, several times, you just refuse to see it, either by your lack of understanding of English or through no understanding at all of human sociality (more likey psychology since this particular change is meant to be more of a individual change even though the entire team is affected). Oh and taking away clips... IS JUST AN EXAMPLE! It could be anything, less of one type of class, less grenades, etc. Anyways, it seems what we have here is a difference of opinion. The only way we would know if this idea were to succeed would be to actually have it ingame and test it. Since we don't have that test there is no way of knowing what the outcome would be and therefore there is no more point even discussing it till we have those results. Of course there still the matter of how it would work exactly. After all you can't test something fully if you have infinite number of variables. Though I'm quite tired of this thread because of all this back and forth explaining and then re-explaining. And there are more important changes going to be made to gameplay anyway that will probably make this solution obsolete. So, unless there are any reasonable objections, this thread is dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if they'r losing some ammo or seeing worse or moving worse etc.

Neither Byte or I said anyting about seeing worse or moving worse.

The game is really fine as is, except for a couple maps need some reinforcement tweaking. We are just brainstorming up ideas to better improve teamplay and the idea of wanting to stay alive as long as possible. The only way I see this is with punishment, rewards just give you stat whores and cheaters. But the question is how much punishment is to much or not enough? I really think taking away one grenade or 2 clips of smg ammo or 4 clips of rifle clips is a good way, it isn't so much as to harm the chances of winning and it isn't to much effect the basic gameplay and fun of the game. I mean if the game was released with the rifleman only have 4-5 clips do you think many people would be crying about it?

Upvote 0
I really think taking away one grenade or 2 clips of smg ammo or 4 clips of rifle clips is a good way, it isn't so much as to harm the chances of winning and it isn't to much effect the basic gameplay and fun of the game.

On a side note, usually (over 85% of cases) only weapons that really can run out of ammo in RO are over-aggressive triggerfinger players with SMG

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
Oh we have showed you, several times, you just refuse to see it, either by your lack of understanding of English or through no understanding at all of human sociality (more likey psychology since this particular change is meant to be more of a individual change even though the entire team is affected).

Really. It's not up to understanding either lack of psychology knownledge. I just haven't seen any reasonable explanations yet. I said nay for limited lives and explained why and now I'm just wondering strothers weird idea. If it would be easy to accomplish "fear of death" we wouldn't brainstorming here now. Reason is quite obvious it's not possible with today technology yet. Though I'm sometimes "scaring" naturally during playing ie. when some guy suddenly popping to front of you. :D

[5.SS]Strother said:
I really think taking away one grenade or 2 clips of smg ammo or 4 clips of rifle clips is a good way, it isn't so much as to harm the chances of winning and it isn't to much effect the basic gameplay and fun of the game. I mean if the game was released with the rifleman only have 4-5 clips do you think many people would be crying about it?

Still I ask what's the point of taking clips away if it's not basically doing any harm either good? I really cant see the concept how they'r suddenly starting to be better and more careful when they've lost few clips and also as I mentioned about law of the jungle. Ok even if they'r starting to be more careful then on the other hand another team starts to be more aggressive when they'r on their neck plus they'r having more ammo than weaker team. So what's the point at all to take clips away? That's mine big question mark on your suggestion. This thread were about "fear of dying" and I cant just see how this would solve it or make it better.

Upvote 0
Ok murhis imagine this... In a capture the flag game (lets use TFC because that is a class based game like RO), the object of the game is to capture the flag and to stop the enemy from capping yours. Now imagine that if the one team captures a flag, so now the other teams score is wiped out and they are assigned classes randomly. While there is no actual "penalty" (no weapons are nerfed, same amount of classes, same amount of grenades, etc.), it does change way people will play the game (aka "I will play so ****ing hard that it will impossible for them to cap my team's flag"). And since the entire team is affected, the entire team will want to work to together to either prevent it from happening to them and do it to the other team to get their revenge. Hmm... maybe randomly assigned classes would be a much better "punishment" then actually changing ammo and grenade load outs. I could see that working quite nicely and to put in game wouldn't take more than half an hour to code and test (its is quite simple I'm sure, since many class based games, if not all of them, have a "random class" option, but thats a voluntary thing while this is not).

Upvote 0
Ah I forgot to mention that too, please change who quoted that.
Originally Posted by Byte Me
Oh we have showed you, several times, you just refuse to see it,...
HotDawgz
Teammates shouldn't gain a life if they're TKed, they just shouldn't lose one.
While the point is valid, this thread is not intended to discuss TKing and how to deal with it. So please try to remain on topic (ironic for me to say I know :p).

Upvote 0
By showing a face and a loud scream people won't always be scared of that.

lmao that was my idea :p ! I do think that would be scarey, I mean you don't always know when you are going to die. A sniper bullet could penetrate your skull without hearing a shot and you would just having someone screaming at you.

So this is what we've got so far.

1. Fear of Death is currently impossible without testicle clamps+battery
2. Best way to make people play more conservative is to reduce reinforcements on some maps.
3. Next best idea is to implement a fear of losing/punishment. If the team loses they lose some small advantage, and to keep that advantage you must play smarter and live longer.

Upvote 0
I am opposed to this idea in its entirety. Most every suggestion in the affirmative smacks of Counter-Strike. If you want that type of game , go play CS. Chances are, since you're playing RO, you probably already have CS. In short, I buy games in order to play them, NOT to sit around and watch as other people play them. It is my sincere wish that this idea is never implemented and if it is, I will never play RO again.

Upvote 0
Do not forget that the defensive team's objective is to "camp"...
I never did forget that, and I'd make a definite distinction between "defending" and "camping".

Camping: Finding one place and sticking to it despite what happens around you. This may be any good spot or THE spot that everybody knows is good for camping. When you die, you go to the same spot unless it is overrun. Most of the time campers do not even bother to communicate with the team.

Defending: Actively defending your ground. This means not only sitting down and shooting, but also reacting to threats, communicating and co-operating with the rest of the defenders, and counter-attacking lost objectives. Some people mistake defending for lying down and shooting.

Also, many people camp whether they were on the attacking or the defending side. I've seen whole teams camping away on K

Upvote 0
You are still assuming that everyone's lack of teamplay or losing a map is due to their lack of enthusiasim. Many times it's a simple lack of skill. Penalizing people, in any way, for a lack of skill won't keep any new players around and will most likely involve the loss of established players.

You want better teamplay, join a clan. It's pretty simple. You can't force teamplay on public servers with any kind of incentive/penalty.

Upvote 0
I'll respond to this post only because I think the other people that posted were refering to the original topic. This one could go either way so...
Harry S. Truman
You are still assuming that everyone's lack of teamplay or losing a map is due to their lack of enthusiasim. Many times it's a simple lack of skill. Penalizing people, in any way, for a lack of skill won't keep any new players around and will most likely involve the loss of established players.

You want better teamplay, join a clan. It's pretty simple. You can't force teamplay on public servers with any kind of incentive/penalty.
1 bad player can not bring down a whole team (well usually, I guess some player could go really out of his way, but a admin should take care of him*). Only if the the team loses there is a penalty. If the teams are stacked from, well... they shouldn't be, *unless its a server without a admin, in which case you might as well leave.

Upvote 0
I would like to make a quick suggestion along the lines of this thread:

As it is right now, people crewing tanks should perhaps be a bit more fearful of death... I mean if you die in a tank, the longest wait you would have to hop back in the action (with a brand-spanking-new tank) is 20 seconds. Perhaps the respawn time for tanks and tankers ought to be tweaked up, so they don't respawn with the regular forces' timer.

For example, you and your tank are destroyed. What if you had to wait 30 seconds no matter what before you and your tank respawned? This would solve a couple problems. First, you would have more of a reason to avoid death while in a tank, as you would have to wait longer than regular infantry to spawn with your vehicle. Also, if you AND your tank spawned at the same time, you wouldn't have to worry about losing your ride if it spawns before you and some loner makes off with it.

I mean, in Arad, when trying to capture the enemy's village point, you can kill an enemy tank and literally have to deal with him again 10 seconds later!

Granted, it doesn't happen every time, but with the current spawn system for tankers, it happens often enough.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother
That's an ok idea, but I wouldn't want it in just because of all the gamey tactics such as suicide car bombers and such. It would just be annoying and unfair for the tankers.
I highly doubt we will have these problems forever, so I wouldn't rely to heavily on them when deciding what changes/additions should be made. Anyway, what did you guys think of the "randomly selected classes if you lose" idea? I'm not entirely sure it would work in RO by itself unless you had some options with it like only random classes for 5 respawns (not individually, tied into the team respawn timer) or for 2 minutes. And its not like you can't still pick your weapon, of course if you died right before the next spawn time you couldn't really pick it... but that happens now anyway :p.

Last edited:
Upvote 0